Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

To Be a Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Be a Machine

A suggestion for Nick (his book review series):
    About Transhumanism (including solving the problem of death by use of technology), just awarded the Wellcome Book Prize, “To Be a Machine” by Mark O’Connell. I have started to read the Kindle version this evening.

It begins thus:

ALL STORIES BEGIN in our endings: we invent them because we die. As long as we have been telling stories, we have been telling them about the desire to escape our human bodies, to become something other than the animals we are. In our oldest written narrative, we find the Sumerian king Gilgamesh, who, distraught by the death of a friend and unwilling to accept that the same fate lies in store for him, travels to the far edge of the world in search of a cure for mortality. Long story short: no dice. Later, we find Achilles’ mother dipping him in the Styx in an effort to render him invulnerable. This, too, famously, does not pan out. See also: Daedalus, improvised wings. See also: Prometheus, stolen divine fire. We exist, we humans, in the wreckage of an imagined splendor. It was not supposed to be this way: we weren’t supposed to be weak, to be ashamed, to suffer, to die. We have always had higher notions of ourselves. The whole setup— garden, serpent, fruit, banishment— was a fatal error, a system crash. We came to be what we are by way of a Fall, a retribution. This, at least, is one version of the story: the Christian story, the Western story. The point of which, on some level, is to explain ourselves to ourselves, to account for why it’s such a raw deal, this unnatural nature of ours.

O'Connell, Mark. To Be a Machine: Adventures Among Cyborgs, Utopians, Hackers, and the Futurists Solving the Modest Problem of Death (Kindle Locations 37-46). Granta Publications. Kindle Edition.
    Last edited by firstfloor; 04-30-2018, 03:17 PM.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
    “not all there” - you know who you are

My brother is a cyborg. He has a titanium plate in his head and partial jaw.

Comment

If it weren't for technology and modern medicine I would have probably been dead 10 years now if not more. The only mechanical bit I have is a heart stent I got two weeks ago and a hernia mesh from a hernia op a year ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        If it weren't for technology and modern medicine I would have probably been dead 10 years now if not more. The only mechanical bit I have is a heart stent I got two weeks ago and a hernia mesh from a hernia op a year ago.
        Woulda never made it outta infancy.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          Same here.

Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have a steel rod on my spine.

It looks like we're all talking about metal in our bodies. Don't know why. I can't read what FF posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
              I have a steel rod on my spine.

It looks like we're all talking about metal in our bodies. Don't know why. I can't read what FF posts.
              Sure you can. As far as ff goes, this OP is pretty tame.

Here, I'll quote it for you:
              Originally posted by ff
              A suggestion for Nick (his book review series):
              About Transhumanism (including solving the problem of death by use of technology), just awarded the Wellcome Book Prize, “To Be a Machine” by Mark O’Connell. I have started to read the Kindle version this evening.

It begins thus:

ALL STORIES BEGIN in our endings: we invent them because we die. As long as we have been telling stories, we have been telling them about the desire to escape our human bodies, to become something other than the animals we are. In our oldest written narrative, we find the Sumerian king Gilgamesh, who, distraught by the death of a friend and unwilling to accept that the same fate lies in store for him, travels to the far edge of the world in search of a cure for mortality. Long story short: no dice. Later, we find Achilles’ mother dipping him in the Styx in an effort to render him invulnerable. This, too, famously, does not pan out. See also: Daedalus, improvised wings. See also: Prometheus, stolen divine fire. We exist, we humans, in the wreckage of an imagined splendor. It was not supposed to be this way: we weren’t supposed to be weak, to be ashamed, to suffer, to die. We have always had higher notions of ourselves. The whole setup— garden, serpent, fruit, banishment— was a fatal error, a system crash. We came to be what we are by way of a Fall, a retribution. This, at least, is one version of the story: the Christian story, the Western story. The point of which, on some level, is to explain ourselves to ourselves, to account for why it’s such a raw deal, this unnatural nature of ours.

O'Connell, Mark. To Be a Machine: Adventures Among Cyborgs, Utopians, Hackers, and the Futurists Solving the Modest Problem of Death (Kindle Locations 37-46). Granta Publications. Kindle Edition.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Sure you can. As far as ff goes, this OP is pretty tame.

Here, I'll quote it for you:
                I might sometime, but my to read list is massive right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Apologiaphoenix View Post
                  I might sometime, but my to read list is massive right now.
                  You 'n' me both.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    come to think of it neither would I. I had a very bad case of Pneumonia as a baby and was put in an oxygen tent and they still were not sure I would make it. Then I had all the childhood diseases of the 60's: mumps, reubella, measels, chicken pox. And this was the time when polio was still a thing. Dang, we are very lucky to be alive!

Comment

Just past a brief mention of Rosicrucianism which I had not heard of before. On we go.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        come to think of it neither would I. I had a very bad case of Pneumonia as a baby and was put in an oxygen tent and they still were not sure I would make it. Then I had all the childhood diseases of the 60's: mumps, reubella, measels, chicken pox. And this was the time when polio was still a thing. Dang, we are very lucky to be alive!
                        Went through measles, mumps and chicken pox one right after the other with essentially no time between them. My brother got a mild case and I'd get a much worse case. Also had rubella (often called German measles back then) a couple years later. But it was a staph infection that I got right after being born and FWIU covered most of my body that the doctors didn't think I'd survive

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I have a shunt in my skull

Comment