Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Masculinity: A Mental Health Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And it's entirely up to the state which "information" is correct.
    Partly. Education is an important part of maintaining a government/country. Informed citizens and all that. Since our government is actually made up of citizens, that's not a bad thing. But school systems, while they do have to include certain things in the curriculum, have pretty wide latitude with respect to curriculum and content. School boards (which are elected positions staff (usually) by parents, have a say. Teachers have a say. Parents can advocate. So what/who influences a curriculum s fairly broad.

At some point, someone has to say, "this will" and "this won't" be taught.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
      I never said that public school was compulsory. Except (as can easily be seen from the quoted text) I didn't make either of those two claims.
      Then what was your claim, why did you bring up the compulsory thing if kids were not require to join in prayer? And I made the point that the compulsory argument was wrong because it is not even compulsory to attend public schools. I wasn't, like Carp, suggesting that parents should home school. And please link the actual discussion, you seem to know where it is.
      Last edited by seer; 05-11-2018, 07:40 AM.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

And it's entirely up to the state which "information" is correct.
        Wrong, It's up to the State Board of education, but the curriculum can be challenged in a court of law. You can't just teach kids willy nilly whatever information you want.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer
          Some-one who wasn't a hypocrite would have also noted that when claiming that school prayer isn't mandatory because parents can always home-school.
          I never said that.
          Originally posted by seer View Post
          And I made the point that the compulsory argument was wrong because it is not even compulsory to attend public schools.
          So seer didn't say that school prayer isn't mandatory because parents can home-school, but he did say that school prayer isn't compulsory because parents don't have to use public schools.

I can't see any relevant distinction between the two.
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

So seer didn't say that school prayer isn't mandatory because parents can home-school, but he did say that school prayer isn't compulsory because parents don't have to use public schools.

I can't see any relevant distinction between the two.
            You are being deceptive Roy, and you know it. I said school prayer was not compulsory because students were not REQUIRED to join in, that was my experience. Like saying the pledge is not compulsory. And on top of that going to public school is also not compulsory. I was only dealing with your compulsory nonsense, not whether or not parents should home school - which Carp was suggesting that I should do. And I will ask you again Roy - link the discussion - or do you know you will be exposed as the fraud that you are?
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
              And I will ask you again Roy - link the discussion - or do you know you will be exposed as the fraud that you are?
              Link to it yourself. I'm not wasting my time doing something you want done but can't be bothered to.
              Last edited by Roy; 05-11-2018, 11:13 AM.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Wrong, It's up to the State Board of education...
                Nope, your ignorance is on display again. Fortunately, in Texas, we have "independent" school districts which can exercise considerable discretion in what is taught, and anti-Christian bigots like you and Tassman get ZERO say.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Link to it yourself. I'm not wasting my time doing something you want done but can't be bothered to.
                  Just as I thought...

Comment

Just as I thought...
                    Roy and SL are on the same page, I see, refusing to link to things they claim, such as "mossy is an abusive moderator and spouts bile about homosexuals".

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Roy and SL are on the same page, I see, refusing to link to things they claim, such as "mossy is an abusive moderator and spouts bile about homosexuals".

seer is a serial misrepresenter and time-waster. I've caught him in more hypocrisy, misrepresentation and outright lies than I can remember, and I don't see why I should waste time doing anything he asks. He could find and link to that thread as easily as I could. I've already supported my claim by quoting from it; I don't see why I should support his claim that I'm misrepresenting him.
                      Last edited by Roy; 05-11-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Nope, your ignorance is on display again. Fortunately, in Texas, we have "independent" school districts which can exercise considerable discretion in what is taught, and anti-Christian bigots like you and Tassman get ZERO say.

This differs state by state - and there multiple levels of control. There are federal minimum curriculum requirements (remember NCLB?), most states impose requirements, and many states have independent school districts that then set curriculum within those limits.

And, as far as I know, parents CAN have significant influence by getting involved...including both Christians and "anti-Christian bigots." And he is right that curriculum can be challenged in a court of law. It has happened several times. Sometimes it succeeds. Sometimes it doesn't.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

seer is a serial misrepresenter and time-waster. I've caught him in more hypocrisy, misrepresentation and outright lies than I can remember, and I don't see why I should waste time doing anything he asks. He could find and link to that thread as easily as I could. I've already supported my claim by quoting from it; I don't see why I should support his claim that I'm misrepresenting him.
                          Why are you lying about me Roy? I mean you are the one who lied here. Bringing up something that was not at all analogues to what Carp was suggesting that I do.

Comment

Why are you lying about me Roy? I mean you are the one who lied here. Bringing up something that was not at all analogues to what Carp was suggesting that I do.
                            I suggested you do something...?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              This differs state by state - ...
                              I'm just glad you guys have ZERO control over things in my world. Especially Tassman.
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm just glad you guys have ZERO control over things in my world. Especially Tassman.
                                Since I am in Vermont, that is a true statement. I would most definitely stand against the teaching of any religiously-themed courses outside of history, literature, and music classes. Religion is a significant element of human history, a lot of literature has religious roots, and there is a wealth of religious music. But it has no business in a science, sex ed, home ed, or mathematics program. Not in a public school paid for by taxes and provided for by government. Any faith that wants their moral/religious framework to be taught should support their own schools and send their children to those.

Comment