Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What The Left Has Done To Our Schools...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Jersey school allows all cheerleader applicants on the team after a parent complains that her precious snowflake was cut.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018...ent-complains/
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Than I suggest you stop saying silly comments that donÂ’t match up to reality instead of blaming others for your silly comment. Schools employees are government workers and schools do hire plenty of non degree employees too. They have bus drivers, lunch aids, secretaries, or janitors too and need skilled laborers too. School districts have pretty large work forces. The LA school district has 108,900 employees and is the third largest employer in the county. Check out your county. Bet your local school district is in the top ten biggest employers.
      So where's the logic to go from "there's a potential policy to give people without work a government job" to "those people will work in schools"?

Which contribute millions to these elected officials re-election campaign every year. If the logic is the NRA or Koch brothers are influencing our political process than the logic equally applies to teacher unions too.
      There's a huge difference between lobbying/donation and the power to change curriculum policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Your claim is what doesn't add up PM. You want to claim that education is great, yet we have students who can't read an analog clock! Who don't know who won the civil war or world war 2. Who can't tell you who the vice President is. Who can't find Kansas on a map. Who can't do simple math. We either have stupider students or worse education. Take your pick.
        When have I claimed that US education is great?

I can't address knowledge deficits if I don't have data that goes back to whatever year Seer and friends thinks schooling was at its best.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
          So where's the logic to go from "there's a potential policy to give people without work a government job" to "those people will work in schools"?

You ask why I treat you like an idiot when you say stupid things, like this? Schools can very easily end up being one of the government branches used in such a hiring program because schools are top employers across the nation. This is a fact that you can confirm just by searching for top employees in your city or county. Your argument is little more than an argument from silence and nothing more.

There's a huge difference between lobbying/donation and the power to change curriculum policy.
          So they give to Democrats because...
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            New Jersey school allows all cheerleader applicants on the team after a parent complains that her precious snowflake was cut.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018...ent-complains/
            Well that will certainly prepare them for the real world won't it? When they go apply for a job along with 20 other applicants only to discover that they all aren't going to be hired. It'll also mean that next year those trying out won't have to work for it since everybody makes the team

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And then we wonder why people are living with their parents into their 30's.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                again, you are ignoring that they renormed the tests.
                And again, you've ignored the question I asked earlier. What does that "renorming" mean? And "dumbing it down" is not a proper answer. In the citation I gave you, the College Board gives an explanation at least to their methods.
                "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  And then we wonder why people are living with their parents into their 30's.
                  Or saying they didn't feel like adults until their 30s (there's a thread around here about that IIRC)

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                    And again, you've ignored the question I asked earlier. What does that "renorming" mean? And "dumbing it down" is not a proper answer. In the citation I gave you, the College Board gives an explanation at least to their methods.
                    Here is what the re-norming looked like:

00000000000000ars7b2.jpg

If the graphs you are using does not show this sharp change then they are playing games with you.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Here is what the re-norming looked like:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27737[/ATTACH]

If the graphs you are using does not show this sharp change then they are playing games with you.
                      I saw it before. It isn't showing a change in the test (The test format has changed numerous times. New questions are introduced at least annually). It's showing a difference in the way the test is graded and weighted--hence the "renorming". No one is arguing that scores have improved that much.
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by guacamole View Post
                        I saw it before. It isn't showing a change in the test (The test format has changed numerous times. New questions are introduced at least annually). It's showing a difference in the way the test is graded and weighted--hence the "renorming". No one is arguing that scores have improved that much.
                        I'm not sure if the test changed or if they just give you x number of points to start with simply for taking the test (or as we used to say, for just signing the paper).

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          I'm not sure if the test changed or if they just give you x number of points to start with simply for taking the test (or as we used to say, for just signing the paper).
                          The test is "normed" so while it seems like you get x points for simply taking the test, they presume that you will get a certain number of questions correct to begin with. At any rate, if a given section has 96 questions (the reading test and language tests, which combined with the verbal score), then each question is worth about 8.33 points. If you follow your chart, picking the male verbal score since 1967, at ~460 and it's supposedly precipitous fall to ~420 when the test was renormed, then that accounts for about 5-6 questions difference, out of 96. That's part of why I reject the idea that because scores on one test have fallen, it means that teaching is considerably worse now than it was then.

As far as changes in the test go, the specific test questions are retired every year to prevent cheating and there are numerous versions of a test so that students in the same room may not be reading the same questions. The format of the test has changed numerous times--the current test, the one I proctored a month ago, is quite different than the tests we took 30-ish years ago. The analogy and antonym sections are gone. There are open ended math answer questions where you have to come up with a calculation and enter the answer on a numerical bubble sheet. There's an essay.

1995 re-centering controversy
                          Certain educational organizations viewed the SAT re-centering initiative as an attempt to stave off international embarrassment in regards to continuously declining test scores, even among top students. As evidence, it was presented that the number of pupils who scored above 600 on the verbal portion of the test had fallen from a peak of 112,530 in 1972 to 73,080 in 1993, a 36% backslide, despite the fact that the total number of test-takers had risen over 500,000.[65] Other authors have argued that the evidence for a decline in student quality is mixed, citing that top scorers on the ACT have shown little change in the same period, and that the proportion of 17-year-olds scoring at the highest performance level on the NAEP long-term trend assessment has been roughly stable for decades.[66]
                          Note the last sentence, which was what I had already pointed out earlier. This is the second reason why I reject the idea that a decline in SAT scores is equivalent to a decline in teaching. As I previously noted the ACT, and the NAEP--the test that usually results in conservative pearl clutching--both do not indicate the same decline. They are statistically flat.

Additionally, if you're reading that paragraph closely, note that the decline scores affect even top students--presumably, if the education reformers are correct, these are the students with the very best teachers (they also happen to be the students from the top income brackets. What a surprise.)--and so now we are asked to believe that even the supposedly very best teachers of the highest performing students are failing their students.

Those are two additional reasons I reject the notion that modern education is failing students.

Lastly, I've seen people, especially conservatives who want to gut public education, talk about the 46% college readiness result indicated by the SAT, as evidence that public education is failing. Does that mean that presumably, at some point in a golden age, the college readiness score was 100%? The SAT is doing what it's supposed to be doing then--figuring out who should get into college and who shouldn't.

I'm willing to listen to counter reasoning, but this is a really well trodden path at this point.

fwiw,
                          guacamole
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post

You ask why I treat you like an idiot when you say stupid things, like this? Schools can very easily end up being one of the government branches used in such a hiring program because schools are top employers across the nation. This is a fact that you can confirm just by searching for top employees in your city or county. Your argument is little more than an argument from silence and nothing more.
                            So you're making an assumption and treating it as a fact, got it.

So they give to Democrats because...
                            General issues like salary and school funding.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              So you're making an assumption and treating it as a fact, got it.
                              So your argument is Bernie Sanders has to specifically say where these people will work? So silence is all you got?

General issues like salary and school funding.
                              So why does the AFT make statements specifically about common core if they don’t care about it? What teachers have to teach is stuff that effects them. We know they care about what is taught because they release press statements about their support ir disapproval of teaching standards. You’re living in denial if you seriously think they don’t support those in office that agree with what is taught in schools.
                              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                                So your argument is Bernie Sanders has to specifically say where these people will work? So silence is all you got?
                                That's how laws work, they have to say what they do.

So why does the AFT make statements specifically about common core if they don’t care about it? What teachers have to teach is stuff that effects them. We know they care about what is taught because they release press statements about their support ir disapproval of teaching standards. You’re living in denial if you seriously think they don’t support those in office that agree with what is taught in schools.
                                Common core was approved by governor-appointed members of each state's Board of Education, in other words unelected officials without term limits. Any group can let the public and officials know what they want to happen, it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Comment