Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What The Left Has Done To Our Schools...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Sorry to break it to you, but Kansas city straddles the state border and part of it is indeed in Kansas.
    I've lived my entire life in the Kansas City area and I can verify this is untrue. Kansas City, Kansas and Kansas City, Missouri are two separately incorporated cities. The one in Kansas has a population of about 150,000 and the one in Missouri has a population of around 500,000 and is what most people refer to when they generically refer to "Kansas City". Everybody locally says "KCK" if they have the other one in mind.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Ummm....yeah I live here too. I vewwy quickly learned the difference...and history of the borders. You should try it, it'll make you smarter.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
        Does "at best, half" really qualify for "largely in charge of"? Even assuming you're right, what policies has the left enacted that would result in the test results in the OP?
        No, it is not just half, only 27 percent were republican. Who knows what the other 30 percent are, but if you go with the same 27/41 ratio then yes the libs are largely in charge. And you tell me, why aren't our kids learning? Why is everything get worse?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Considering it was Bernie Sanders that had offered up the government job for everyone idea or that schools are primarily ran by those on the left. You tell me.
          Sanders wasn't talking about vice principal positions. Why wouldn't schools be primarily ran by whatever political affiliation is most represented in the district? Is there evidence otherwise?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            No, it is not just half, only 27 percent were republican. Who knows what the other 30 percent are, but if you go with the same 27/41 ratio then yes the libs are largely in charge. And you tell me, why aren't our kids learning? Why is everything get worse?
            That only works if you assume independents agree with everything liberals want, which can't be the case by definition.

These are the problems I see with the US education system (pre-collegiate):
            1. control of curriculum is held by politicians with agendas instead of educators following best practices
            2. education is generalized instead of specialized (specifically in high school)
            3. education centers around standardized testing
            4. lower standards for teachers in less competitive job markets and simultaneously low pay disincentivizing relocation from crowded markets
            5. school hours not matching hours students are most conducive to learning (hamstrung by suburban travel)
            6. over-reliance on homework
            7. lax standards for graduation
            8. support for staff dependent upon students hitting milestones instead of doing what's best for the students (for example, if teachers hold students to high standards and disallowed graduation, the teachers are penalized)
            9. too many administration jobs leeching money from classrooms
            10. most importantly, economic inequality

Comment

That only works if you assume independents agree with everything liberals want, which can't be the case by definition.

These are the problems I see with the US education system (pre-collegiate):
              1. control of curriculum is held by politicians with agendas instead of educators following best practices
              2. education is generalized instead of specialized (specifically in high school)
              3. education centers around standardized testing
              4. lower standards for teachers in less competitive job markets and simultaneously low pay disincentivizing relocation from crowded markets
              5. school hours not matching hours students are most conducive to learning (hamstrung by suburban travel)
              6. over-reliance on homework
              7. lax standards for graduation
              8. support for staff dependent upon students hitting milestones instead of doing what's best for the students (for example, if teachers hold students to high standards and disallowed graduation, the teachers are penalized)
              9. too many administration jobs leeching money from classrooms
              10. most importantly, economic inequality
              I only really see two things I agree with. To be honest most of the things and practices you complain about were in effect when I went to school in the 50s and 60s without the kind negative effects we see today.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I only really see two things I agree with. To be honest most of the things and practices you complain about were in effect when I went to school in the 50s and 60s without the kind negative effects we see today.
                What negative effects in modern times are you comparing to the 50s and 60s?

Comment

What negative effects in modern times are you comparing to the 50s and 60s?
                  Sixty-five percent of the eighth graders in American public schools in 2017 were not proficient in reading and 67 percent were not proficient in mathematics

Student Scores in Reading and Math Drop Math and reading scores for students in grades four and eight dropped.

https://www.usnews.com/news/articles...-and-math-drop

SAT Scores Are On Slight Rise, But Still Short Of 1960s Level
                  both math and verbal scores are well below student performance during the 1960s.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1993/0819/19033.html

Comment

Sixty-five percent of the eighth graders in American public schools in 2017 were not proficient in reading and 67 percent were not proficient in mathematics
                    Why do you think a lower average SAT score is caused by less knowledgeable students instead of, say, more people taking the test and a widening wealth gap?

Comment

What was the percentage in the 50's and 60's?
                      "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                      Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                      Save me, save me"

Comment

Interestingly American skewl kids test well when they're in Elementary skewl and again when they are in college, but in-between... Not so much.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Interestingly American skewl kids test well when they're in Elementary skewl and again when they are in college, but in-between... Not so much.
                          College is a self-selecting group.
                          "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                          Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                          Save me, save me"

Comment

Why do you think a lower average SAT score is caused by less knowledgeable students instead of, say, more people taking the test and a widening wealth gap?
                            why would more people taking the SATs lower the average if all of those people were getting the same high quality education afforded by our wonderful government paid for school system?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              why would more people taking the SATs lower the average if all of those people were getting the same high quality education afforded by our wonderful government paid for school system?
                              And lets not forget how the S.A.T.s were "re-normed" (downward) back in 1996 because scores had dropped so dramatically since the average (or norm) was established in 1941 -- and they still continue to drop.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                People taking the test in the beginning would be self-selecting. Then, after taking the test becomes normalized and expected, people who wouldn't take it otherwise do so because of social convention. In other words, the test becoming more popular means more average and low-achieving students take it.

Comment