Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iowa Bill

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Catholicity View Post
    So the bill passed and its been signed into law at least in Iowa. Now we watch the appeals process I guess.
    Actually, first there has to be a case - someone has to sue and show standing - then lose the case before an appeal can be made.

2. Amen DesertBerean amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    2) Bush did.
    I mean going forward. Reagan had nominees as well but that doesn't matter now. I really think Trump will be a one term president and all bets are off once that happens.

3) Um, what? You mean the nominee? The Dems can't be that insane - it'd be nice, but that's unbelievably stupid for them politically. If they did it, since the only reason this would matter is if the nominee was conservative replacing a liberal, dragging it out runs a very real danger that the Court will act with only 8 - at which time it would be right leaning. If it were the other way around, it's still politically extremely dangerous - the Court is way too high profile.
    They haven't forgotten what happened with Merrick Garland, either. Given that even Mitch McConnell is on record saying he believes the Republicans will lose the Senate going forward, I'm going to say it's highly likely at this point. Assuming that holds, I'd expect a similar refusal to confirm any nominee late in Trump's first term. Frankly, they'd be stupid to allow it, especially with the precedent already having been set.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

41st Mojave Summer DesertBerean's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Edited by a Moderator

Moderated By: CP

Please check the rules of each forum in which you wish to post....

This area is for pro-life activists to discuss issues related to abortion. It is NOT a debate area, and it is not OK for pro-choice activists to post here .

Forum Rules: here

Thanks

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

Moderated By: DesertBerean

Just to piggyback on CP"s reminder....please do not debate in this area. Please feel free to take any point you want to raise to Civics so you can freely debate.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

5. Amen Cow Poke amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I mean going forward. Reagan had nominees as well but that doesn't matter now. I really think Trump will be a one term president and all bets are off once that happens.
    Counting Trump out is probably what cost the Dems any real chance at the last election. It's too early by far to know what 2020 is going to look like.

They haven't forgotten what happened with Merrick Garland, either. Given that even Mitch McConnell is on record saying he believes the Republicans will lose the Senate going forward, I'm going to say it's highly likely at this point. Assuming that holds, I'd expect a similar refusal to confirm any nominee late in Trump's first term. Frankly, they'd be stupid to allow it, especially with the precedent already having been set.
    I honestly think we need to amend the Constitution to make appointments automatic if the Senate doesn't confirm or reject within six months. That said, holding up Federal judge ships is one thing - a Supreme Court nomination is a completely different ballgame. It would only make sense in the election cycle itself and even then, it's risky.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

I honestly think we need to amend the Constitution to make appointments automatic if the Senate doesn't confirm or reject within six months. That said, holding up Federal judge ships is one thing - a Supreme Court nomination is a completely different ballgame. It would only make sense in the election cycle itself and even then, it's risky.
    Garland was a Supreme Court nomination, not just a federal judge. Holding him up does not appear to have cost the Republicans anything. I really like the idea of your proposed amendment.
    For what was given to everyone for the use of all, you have taken for your exclusive use. The earth belongs not to the rich, but to everyone. - Ambrose, 4th century AD

All cruelty springs from weakness. - Seneca the Younger

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Garland was a Supreme Court nomination, not just a federal judge. Holding him up does not appear to have cost the Republicans anything.
    Nine months versus a couple years - although I see your point, the issue was the late nomination and was in the election cycle, like I said. I think the Republicans were in the wrong - although I did prefer the outcome.

I really like the idea of your proposed amendment.