Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Boy Scouts now open to girls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Yes they were - but I can tell you that a lot of Scoutmasters resented the strangling hold the Mormon group had on what we could and could not teach the scouts. I suspect all of this will indeed spell the end of the scouts. They have a reputation of being "too right" for the left, and now they will be "too left" for the right. I suspect that will spell their end. It's too bad. I know we did a lot of good for the scouts we served in our town - and the ones who made Life or Eagle prove to be some of the most innovative and self-starting of the group. Half of them gave up their Eagle Scout status status in protest of the Scout's position on homosexuals.
    The Mormon troops wouldn't attend the summer camp I always went to because they couldn't accommodate their Sabbath preferences, and that didn't stop the camp from being wildly popular in the Midwest (this part of which has a fairly significant Mormon presence)

I knew a kid in high school who was both gay and an atheist. He wanted until the day after he passed his Eagle Board of Review to announce both.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      The Mormon troops wouldn't attend the summer camp I always went to because they couldn't accommodate their Sabbath preferences, and that didn't stop the camp from being wildly popular in the Midwest (this part of which has a fairly significant Mormon presence)

I knew a kid in high school who was both gay and an atheist. He wanted until the day after he passed his Eagle Board of Review to announce both.
      Wanted, or waited?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And is anyone surprised?

Source: CONDOMS REQUIRED AT SCOUTS' 24TH WORLD JAMBOREE

Rules demand distribution during coming 12-day 'camping' event

The Boy Scouts have decided to accept people who identify as gay and lesbian among their ranks. And girls are welcome now, too, into the iconic organization, which has renamed itself Scouts BSA.

So what’s next?

A mandate that condoms be made available to “all participants” of its global gathering.

It’s among the demands of the World Scout Committee for any host country of a World Scout Jamboree.

That would include the 24th World Scout Jamboree, scheduled July 21-Aug. 1, 2019, in West Virginia.

The Scouts say: “For the first time, a world jamboree will be hosted by three national Scout organizations: Scouts Canada, Asociación de Scouts de México, and the Boy Scouts of America. These three distinct cultures will join together to host the world Scouting community in a celebration of cultural exchange, mutual understanding, peace, and friendship.”

With condoms.

Commenting on the condom policy, John Stemberger, president of the Florida Family Policy Council, wrote that “it is not clear how far down the rabbit hole the Boy Scouts will continue to fall.”

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Usually WND is not a reliable source for accurate info. But doing some searching, it appears they are in this instance:

"The Host Organisation must ensure that condoms are readily and easily accessible for all participants and IST at a number of locations on the site."
        Page 11 of the WOSM WSJ Guidelines, here: https://issuu.com/worldscouting/docs...elines_en_2016

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Only within certain denominations.

ETA - well, lookie here....

A Roman Catholic church ordained a 70-year-old woman a priest in Louisville, Kentucky.

About 150 women from all over the world have been ordained by the Roman Catholic Church even though the church bans them from becoming priests.
          Apparently not sanctioned by the RCC

Kentucky woman ordained as priest in defiance of Roman Catholic Church

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...93Q0EE20130428

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            Apparently not sanctioned by the RCC

Kentucky woman ordained as priest in defiance of Roman Catholic Church

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...93Q0EE20130428
            Yeah. The writeup is inaccurate. Women have been ordained by rogue elements within the RCC. No idea why those who pull such stunts aren't defrocked.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Yeah. The writeup is inaccurate. Women have been ordained by rogue elements within the RCC. No idea why those who pull such stunts aren't defrocked.
              Actually they are. Rome takes a dim view and excommunicates these women, and defrocks any ordained priest who participates. However, if memory serves, it was a Catholic bishop who ordained the first women, creating a continuance in the "line of succession." Since then I believe almost 150 women have been ordained around the world and they continue to function as if they were completely catholic in their practices, simply rejecting the ban against female ordination. I think they have actually elevated some women as bishops.

It appears to be the beginning of a new sect in Catholicism, though they claim allegiance to Rome. Rome, however, rejects them as priests and bishops, putting these churches in an odd, disconnected state.

It's not as if Christian sects haven't pealed off before over a disagreement on theology or practice.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Is there some kind of biblical religious reason why wimmin can't be priests, or is it more of a traditional-and-therefore-sacred thing?

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                  Is there some kind of biblical religious reason why wimmin can't be priests, or is it more of a traditional-and-therefore-sacred thing?
                  The commonly cited reason is that Jesus only chose men to be one of his 12 apostles/disciples, who are considered to be the first "priests." Peter was considered to be the first "pope" or "bishop."

The women point of Magdalene's role and the presence of women as deacons, priests and bishops in the early church to make their case. And they point to the line in Paul's letter where he says, "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae."

The response to the former is that these were heretical sects. I know of no response to Paul's mention of a female deacon.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                    Here's my take from an Eastern perspective. The church is pretty inherently patriarchal. A man is head of the family as Christ is of the church. As a priest is a stand-in for Christ in the local church, having a female priest turns that imagery on its head. Also, by long-standing tradition, only males are allowed in the altar area, so altar servers, deacons, etc. are all male.

There were female deacons in the early church, but their main task was to assist in the baptism of female converts (because everyone was baptized naked). In the Russian sobor held just before the October Revolution, they discussed bringing back female deacons, but it was never implemented. I've heard rumors of some churches using female altar servers, but it's pretty controversial and I don't know if they enter the altar area or stay outside in the nave. Women sometimes chant the epistle or old testament reading during a service, but that's the extent I've seen of female liturgical participation (outside of communal responses to prayers, in which everyone is included by participation).
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      Actually they are. Rome takes a dim view and excommunicates these women, and defrocks any ordained priest who participates. However, if memory serves, it was a Catholic bishop who ordained the first women, creating a continuance in the "line of succession."
                      Well, it would take a bishop to make it an official ordination, right? Wouldn't it take the ordination of a woman as bishop to create a continuance in the line of succession?

sigpic

Comment

Well, it would take a bishop to make it an official ordination, right? Wouldn't it take the ordination of a woman as bishop to create a continuance in the line of succession?
                        Yes, it would - and I am pretty sure this standard has been met. In 1917, the code of Canon Law was amended to give the Pope final decision authority over who would and would not be bishop. So, by modern canon law, any bishop not approved by the "holy see" is not a bishop, so any priest they consecrate is not an actual priest.

Of course, the women-friendly sects would probably disagree.

Comment

Here's my take from an Eastern perspective. The church is pretty inherently patriarchal. A man is head of the family as Christ is of the church. As a priest is a stand-in for Christ in the local church, having a female priest turns that imagery on its head. Also, by long-standing tradition, only males are allowed in the altar area, so altar servers, deacons, etc. are all male.

There were female deacons in the early church, but their main task was to assist in the baptism of female converts (because everyone was baptized naked). In the Russian sobor held just before the October Revolution, they discussed bringing back female deacons, but it was never implemented. I've heard rumors of some churches using female altar servers, but it's pretty controversial and I don't know if they enter the altar area or stay outside in the nave. Women sometimes chant the epistle or old testament reading during a service, but that's the extent I've seen of female liturgical participation (outside of communal responses to prayers, in which everyone is included by participation).
                          Does this at all relate to why the RCC ended up excluding married men, out of curiosity?
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Does this at all relate to why the RCC ended up excluding married men, out of curiosity?
                            I don't think so. The church in the West expressed the desire to exclude married men as far back as the 4th century Council of Evira, IIRC. It wasn't entirely successful until medieval times. It's for different reasons, too, relating to Paul's observation in 1 Cor 7 that the unmarried have more time to devote to the Lord. In the East, this was only applied to bishops (and uniformly so by the 4th or 5th century). If a married man is to be ordained bishop, he and his wife must agree to separate (though not divorce) and his wife must join a monastery (same term is used for male and female monasteries). It doesn't happen too often. The first bishop of my diocese was a widower.

sigpic

Comment

Really piggy?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Really piggy?
                                At least it wasn't rouge elements!

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment