Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

You knew it was coming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You knew it was coming

Grand Sumo, next weekend!

I will have a moment of silence in between matches, to mourn for all of you cultural cavemen who won't be joining me in the audience.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

My man Kaisei (the only Brazilian currently in top-division sumo, and a gentleman) earned a promotion to Maegashira #1 (top of the rank-and-file, right under the highest "named" ranks of Komusubi, Sekiwake, etc.).

The biggest guy in the division (Ichinojo) and arguably the strongest guy in the division (Tochinoshin) are both at Sekiwake rank (third-highest, under Ozeki and Yokozuna). I always like watching those two. If Tochinoshin can get double-digit wins this coming tournament, AFAIK he'll earn a promotion to Ozeki, so I'd like to see that happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
      Grand Sumo, next weekend!

I will have a moment of silence in between matches, to mourn for all of you cultural cavemen who won't be joining me in the audience.
      Mourn deeply, my friend, I'll be elsewhere.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
        My man Kaisei (the only Brazilian currently in top-division sumo, and a gentleman) earned a promotion to Maegashira #1 (top of the rank-and-file, right under the highest "named" ranks of Komusubi, Sekiwake, etc.).

The biggest guy in the division (Ichinojo) and arguably the strongest guy in the division (Tochinoshin) are both at Sekiwake rank (third-highest, under Ozeki and Yokozuna). I always like watching those two. If Tochinoshin can get double-digit wins this coming tournament, AFAIK he'll earn a promotion to Ozeki, so I'd like to see that happen.
        Can you post a translation of this post in English? I don't speak Japanese.
        Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
          Can you post a translation of this post in English? I don't speak Japanese.
          Top division (aka "makuuchi" division) sumo is made up of five general ranks, from highest to lowest: Yokozuna, Ozeki, Sekiwake, Komusubi, and Maegashira. Typically the top division consists of about forty guys, the majority of which (say, 30) will be in the Maegashira ranks.

Yokozuna rank is exceedingly difficult to achieve, and is the only rank from which a wrestler cannot be demoted. However, he's expected to comport himself with dignity at all times and win consistently, as he's the face of professional sumo to the world and bears the image of the whole sport on his shoulders. If he fails to do those things, he'll typically be effectively forced into retirement, so that he doesn't dishonor the title. There are only 3 Yokozuna currently (Hakuho, Kakuryu, and Kisenosato). Until last November there were four, but Harumafuji got a little rough with a younger wrestler during off-hours and subsequently retired.

Ozeki is also very difficult to achieve and very difficult to hold. There are only two Ozeki currently (Goeido, who's been there for a couple years, and Takayasu, a relative newcomer to the position).

The other two "named" ranks, Sekiwake and Komusubi, typically only have a couple guys in each, and given how demanding it is to advance (or remain) at that point, a lot of wrestlers won't maintain those ranks.

The Maegashira ranks are made up of numbers--e.g., Maegashira #1, Maegashira #6--with two guys per number. The lower the number, the closer they are to the four "named" ranks. The number of Maegashira can fluctuate a bit, but there's typically up through about Maegashira #15, so give or take 30 guys. Somewhere around Maegashira #6 thorugh Maegashira #15 will not be paired with any ranks higher than Maegashira, although #5-#1 will, making those five ranks very difficult to maintain, as they have to hang with the big boys, and do it consistently. (I.e., a Maegashira #10 won't be put up against a Yokozuna, but a Maegashira #2 will, so good luck.) Kaeisei was at Maegashira #6 last tournament, and did well enough to earn a promotion to Maegashira #1, which is pretty significant.

Comment

Just when you think Zym is done with all this junk, he comes up with sumo.

Comment

Maybe you should change your name to Sumologist instead of Zymologist.

Comment

I thought about you the other day. They had a question about Sumo on Jeopardy. I can't remember what it was though.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  I thought about you the other day. They had a question about Sumo on Jeopardy. I can't remember what it was though.
                  More importantly, do you remember the answer?
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    More importantly, do you remember the answer?
                    "Plus-sized Diapers"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      "What is Plus-sized Diapers"
                      fify/nc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                        fify/nc.
                        Then that would be the question not the answer.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                          Then that would be the question not the answer.
                          He said the question was on Jeopardy, where you have to put your answer in the form of a question.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                            He said the question was on Jeopardy, where you have to put your answer in the form of a question.
                            I was thinking more on the lines of the answer that gets revealed to which you have to furnish the question.

Comment

Btw you know "What is adult diapers" will make a certain prodder of bovines cringe when he sees it.

Comment