Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

Might move out soon.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    One of the two primary grocery store chains around her (Price Chopper) has their own store brand (Best Choice) that's almost uniformly awful. Even my cats don't want to touch the cat food they make. Walmart store brands tend to be okay though.
    Sounds like Flavorite brand stuff. I think they sold it at Biggs. They even managed to get saltine crackers drastically wrong.

Comment

We shop almost exclusively at Kroger. Their store brands are pretty good! Kroger has a Kroger (rewards) card (it's not a credit card) you can get at the register. Their sale prices are usually for (or better with) the Kroger card. The great thing is you earn points that give you discounts on gas at the Kroger or Shell gas pumps. Also, since of course they are using the card to track your purchases, they send you coupons in the mail for even better discounts, often we get coupons to get an item we regularly buy for free!
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Even milk, eggs, butter, bread..... basic groceries. Internet, cable TV (I'm learning to do without)....

Just, over the next couple weeks, start noticing the things you enjoy / consume at home, and think about how much it costs to supply those things.

And, don't just add them up in your head - make an actual budget - income vs expenses.

(Don't do like my oldest daughter who ALWAYS assumes the best for income, including "hoped for" income that never materializes - and "rounds down" expenses)
        Yeah and don't forget gas for the car and try to budget in saving a little bit too for emergencies.

My current budget looks like this:

Monthly
        Mortgage (or rent)
        Food (groceries and eating out)
        Gasoline
        Water
        Sewer
        Electricity
        Gas (home)
        Cable TV
        Netflix
        Audible
        Cell Phone
        Internet
        Savings
        Parking
        Health Insurance Premiums and deductibles
        Security service (Burglar alarm)

non-monthly (occasional purchases)
        Clothing
        Auto Repair
        Hair cuts
        Medical (not covered by insurance)
        Car Insurance (every 6 months)
        Home insurance (built into my mortgage so I don't have to worry about that)

I use Quicken to keep track of everything and to pay my bills.
        Last edited by Sparko; 05-07-2018, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Yeah and don't forget gas for the car and try to budget in saving a little bit too for emergencies.

My current budget looks like this:

Monthly
          Mortgage (or rent)
          Food (groceries and eating out)
          Gasoline
          Water
          Sewer
          Electricity
          Gas (home)
          Cable TV
          Netflix
          Audible
          Cell Phone
          Internet
          Savings
          Parking
          Health Insurance Premiums and deductibles

non-monthly (occasional purchases)
          Clothing
          Auto Repair
          Hair cuts
          Medical (not covered by insurance)

tithe?
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Mint is also helpful, and free... And, it's an Intuit product, as well.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
              Lol. I tried their store cola when it first came out and it was dreadful. It seems to have improved over the years. But I still prefer Coke.
              I like most of the stuff I get at my local Aldi, but their storebrand diet coke is horrible. It tastes like they put some spice in it like cinnamon or something. But I do like the kroger brand colas.

Kroger has a nice app with digital coupons that you can use to save quite a bit and get fuel points (discounts on your fuel).

Kroger also has a list of generic prescriptions for $4 (or $9 for 90 day supply) that can save a lot of money on medicine. Blink health is another good place to save on medicine and they work with Krogers. https://www.blinkhealth.com/

Comment

I like most of the stuff I get at my local Aldi, but their storebrand diet coke is horrible. It tastes like they put some spice in it like cinnamon or something. But I do like the kroger brand colas.

Kroger has a nice app with digital coupons that you can use to save quite a bit and get fuel points (discounts on your fuel).

Kroger also has a list of generic prescriptions for $4 (or $9 for 90 day supply) that can save a lot of money on medicine. Blink health is another good place to save on medicine and they work with Krogers. https://www.blinkhealth.com/
                Sometimes, at the Kroger Fuel isle, their vending machines will have the Kroger brand drinks for 25 cents each - and their "coke" is just as good as Coke.

Comment

tithe?
                  To tell you the truth I haven't been going to my church that often. When I moved to a nearby state it became increasingly difficult to get to it (about 20 miles away but takes about 45 minutes). I have been looking for a local church but haven't found one I like - no I am not trying to just shop churches to feed my itching ears, but trying to find one that I can respect and feel a part of. Most around me are either some weird cult, full gospel, catholic or a megachurch. You should move here and start up a church here. Just for me.

In the meantime I have been giving to various charities as I come across them and I see a need. Or helping out friends when they need it. That is where the savings comes in.

Comment

Mint is also helpful, and free... And, it's an Intuit product, as well.
                    They are dropping mint's bill paying feature. https://bankinnovation.net/2018/04/m...yment-feature/

Quicken is great though. It integrates with my bank's bill paying system to make it easier to track and pay bills online. And it creates terrific budgets and reports. I have been using it for over 20 years now. Oh and quicken seems to have recently split with inuit https://www.computerworld.com/articl...nt-buyout.html

Comment

They are dropping mint's bill paying feature. https://bankinnovation.net/2018/04/m...yment-feature/

Quicken is great though. It integrates with my bank's bill paying system to make it easier to track and pay bills online. And it creates terrific budgets and reports. I have been using it for over 20 years now. Oh and quicken seems to have recently split with inuit https://www.computerworld.com/articl...nt-buyout.html
                      Interesting - the business edition of Quicken comes "free" with my TurboTax account. As much as I have tried to retire from the computer business, I still have some clients who keep hanging on, and giving me money to do stuff. I haven't 'activated' my free Quicken account, but maybe I should.

Comment

Home insurance (built into my mortgage so I don't have to worry about that)
                        I always exclude that from escrow because I like to shop around - having it paid directly from escrow kinda messes with that. But I do allow my taxes to be escrowed.

Home insurance and property taxes are not applicable to paying rent, but, as mentioned earlier, 'renter's insurance' is a smart idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                          We shop almost exclusively at Kroger. Their store brands are pretty good! Kroger has a Kroger (rewards) card (it's not a credit card) you can get at the register. Their sale prices are usually for (or better with) the Kroger card. The great thing is you earn points that give you discounts on gas at the Kroger or Shell gas pumps. Also, since of course they are using the card to track your purchases, they send you coupons in the mail for even better discounts, often we get coupons to get an item we regularly buy for free!
                          That's Food4Less here. They're ok but I don't recall ever trying their store brands except the water which is ...water. I pick up this and that from there but Staters is my main store.
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment