Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

'Brain Dead' Child Wakes Day Before Being Removed From Life Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Doctors get it wrong all the time, so no big deal. Most likely someone screwed up big time here because if the kid was actually brain dead for any length of time, even if he did regain consciousness, he would have extreme brain damage.
    You want to reread what you just wrote or are you actually this unconscionably heartless? No big deal? Almost killing a child is NO BIG DEAL?
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      You want to reread what you just wrote or are you actually this unconscionably heartless? No big deal? Almost killing a child is NO BIG DEAL?
      That's no what I meant Tea. What I meant is the fact that Doctors get things wrong is not unusual.

Comment

That's no what I meant Tea. What I meant is the fact that Doctors get things wrong is not unusual.
        Perhaps...but I agree with Teal. You made a very poor choice of words.
        Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

It better be or we are all in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            It better be or we are all in trouble.
            Why in trouble? There's always heaven!

Comment

Why in trouble? There's always heaven!
              Yes, JimL there is still a chance for you too, so you might want to avoid those doctors that keep making those mistakes.

Comment

What about the ones that take off the wrong leg or remove the wrong organ? Oops.
                If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Moderator Notice

Just a reminder, folks, that Pro-Life is not a place for debate. Nor is it a place to make sarcastic remarks about the beliefs of others.

If you want to debate, take it to Civics.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                  Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Okay, but then your point makes little sense. Look, the law that allows killing people because they are presumed to already be functionally dead (brain death being the usual standard) is based on the idea that this can be reliably determined. If it is not unusual for doctors to get this wrong, then there is no rational legal basis for removing life support at all. Ditto moral and ethical basis' - they all stem from the theory that we can tell 'live brain' from 'dead brain' reliably - it's crucial that it be reliable. It's literally the difference between legal cessation of biological life support and murder.

If doctors are getting this wrong as a normal course of business, then the law forbids it - they are literally murdering people. Certainly the law allows for some error - but it HAS to be exceptional and rare or it really doesn't matter if the person would recover or not - pulling the plug becomes second degree murder (in probably most jurisdictions).
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                      Moderator Notice

Just a reminder, folks, that Pro-Life is not a place for debate. Nor is it a place to make sarcastic remarks about the beliefs of others.

If you want to debate, take it to Civics.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                      Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Psychotherapy Room unless told otherwise.

Move it. please. Snide comment aside, I don't object to Jim's participation or some debate.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Move it. please. Snide comment aside, I don't object to Jim's participation or some debate.
                        Just not in this forum.
                        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Okay, but then your point makes little sense. Look, the law that allows killing people because they are presumed to already be functionally dead (brain death being the usual standard) is based on the idea that this can be reliably determined. If it is not unusual for doctors to get this wrong, then there is no rational legal basis for removing life support at all. Ditto moral and ethical basis' - they all stem from the theory that we can tell 'live brain' from 'dead brain' reliably - it's crucial that it be reliable. It's literally the difference between legal cessation of biological life support and murder.

If doctors are getting this wrong as a normal course of business, then the law forbids it - they are literally murdering people. Certainly the law allows for some error - but it HAS to be exceptional and rare or it really doesn't matter if the person would recover or not - pulling the plug becomes second degree murder (in probably most jurisdictions).
                          All true, but brain death itself is not an exact science. This isn't the first time that someone has been declared brain dead only to later awake.

Comment

All true, but brain death itself is not an exact science. This isn't the first time that someone has been declared brain dead only to later awake. It happens!

Comment

I would think that when you don't blink an eye at 45,151,389 unborn babies being killed between 1970 and 2014 in the U.S. alone it would tend to make one callus toward human life in general.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                                Just not in this forum.
                                Which is why I requested the move to Civics.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment