Announcement

Collapse

Home Economics 101

Welcome to the Home Ec Section. Matters of the family sometimes bring joy and other times bring grief. But it is never trivial: Family matters! Feel free to discuss topics such as the sanctity of marriage; the awesome responsibility of raising children; the struggles of communication problems; the grief of losing a loved one; or anything else that relates to the home and family. However, due to the more personal nature of this section, I ask that you would be especially thoughtful of the readers' feelings. My earnest hope and prayer is that the discussions in this section will help families grow in the love of Christ.

But remember, always play by the rules: here
See more
See less

Fully cooked, uncured, no sugar added bacon, unrefridgerated???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fully cooked, uncured, no sugar added bacon, unrefridgerated???

I saw this line of bacon that said it was fully cooked, uncured, and sugar free, and it didn’t need to be refrigerated. Any idea how that could be safe?
    I am become death...

I sometimes buy what our market calls fresh side pork, which is basically uncured bacon. It's not got sugar, and it's delicious. I've never seen it already cooked, though.

Maybe that's what you are looking at?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
      I sometimes buy what our market calls fresh side pork, which is basically uncured bacon. It's not got sugar, and it's delicious. I've never seen it already cooked, though.

Maybe that's what you are looking at?
      They sell ready made bacon sealed in boxes at the grocery store.

I believe it has to be cured though. basically like beef jerky.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        They sell ready made bacon sealed in boxes at the grocery store.

I believe it has to be cured though. basically like beef jerky.
        Yes. I often get that for my girl, because it heats in the microwave in about 10 seconds. It is cured.

Fresh side pork:

http://richmondmeatpackers.com/product/fresh-side-pork/

https://www.google.com/search?q=fres...sfrvrgsTrym6M:
        Last edited by mossrose; 05-17-2022, 09:36 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Dragule View Post
          I saw this line of bacon that said it was fully cooked, uncured, and sugar free, and it didn’t need to be refrigerated. Any idea how that could be safe?
          Once cooked, (which should theoretically kill the bacteria) they vacuum seal it. No air/oxygen keeps it from spoiling very quickly. It still has a shelf life that you will not want to exceed.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

For the sake of my porcine brethren, assume it is unsafe and pass.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

It seems that a certain singular naughty swine is trying to save his own skin

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                Once cooked, (which should theoretically kill the bacteria) they vacuum seal it. No air/oxygen keeps it from spoiling very quickly. It still has a shelf life that you will not want to exceed.
                We buy fully cooked bacon at Sam's in bulk, and love it! Nukes in the microwave to whatever crispiness you want.

Black Label.jpg

You don't have to refrigerate it until you open it. Shelf life is like 6 months or so.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  It seems that a certain singular naughty swine is trying to save his own skin
                  Obviously, he is not refrigerated and he went bad, so it can spoil.

Comment

Yes. I often get that for Kasha, because it heats in the microwave in about 10 seconds. It is cured.

You just said:
                    I've never seen it already cooked, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

You just said:
                      I've never seen fresh side pork already cooked.

Context, dear pirate!

Comment

I've never seen fresh side pork already cooked.

Context, dear pirate!
                        Did you misspell "deer"?

deer pirate.jpg
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment