Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Crocodiles Transitional fossil that back in Jurassic time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crocodiles Transitional fossil that back in Jurassic time

An important transitional fossil for crocodiles has been found.

Paleontologists have actually found a Jurassic fossil tail, which could be the missing out on web link in the family tree of crocodiles.

Source: https://dailyenterpriser.com/paleontology-discovered-crocodiles-transitional-fossil-back-jurassic-time-2695.html

Throughout the Jurassic duration in between 200 to 145 million years back, old crocodiles had 2 standard kinds. One team had dino-like shield and also utilized arm or legs for strolling ashore. The various other team was much more dolphin-like, having tail fins and also fins as well as no shields.

Scientist claimed that the 180 million-year-old fossil came from an intermediary types that included both shield and also tail fins.

” This fossil gives a special understanding right into just how crocodiles started advancing right into dolphin and also awesome whale-like types greater than 180 million years back,” stated Mark Youthful, from the College of Edinburgh’s College of GeoSciences.

The scientist claimed that the visibility of both the tail fin as well as bony shield reveals the amazing variety of crocodiles throughout the Jurassic duration.

Youthful and also coworkers, that collected the tail in a hill in Hungary in 1996, called the brand-new types Magyarosuchus fitosi after Attila Fitos.

Odd-Looking Vertebra Attributes
    Researchers differentiated the fossil to be various from various other varieties due to an odd-looking vertebra that developed part of the animal’s tail fin.

In a research study released in the journal PeerJ, Youthful and also coworkers defined the varieties that included sharp teeth that were most likely made use of for realizing victim as well as a body gauging 5 meters long.

” The special mix of maintaining hefty dorsal and also forward shield, while having a minor hypocercal tail, on the other hand, highlights the mosaic fashion of aquatic adjustments in Metriorhynchoidea,” the scientists wrote in their research.

Basically Unblemished By Advancement
    Crocodiles are one-of-a-kind animals because they hardly altered during countless years. Unlike a lot of pets that live today, these prehistoric-looking animals stayed practically unblemished by significant transformative modifications for a minimum of 8 million years.

” If we can go back in time 8 million years, you ‘d primarily see the very same pet creeping around after that as you would certainly see today in the Southeast. Also 30 million years back, they really did not look a lot various,” claimed Evan Whiting, a doctoral pupil at the College of Minnesota, that examines crocodiles.

Why Scientist Research Crocodiles As Well As Alligators
    Examining crocodiles supply scientists chance to research various other pets such as to find out just how birds could have advanced from dinosaurs as well as to recognize feasible qualities of the currently vanished dinosaurs.

© Copyright Original Source

Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

I'm fairly certain that fossils of an ancient crocodilian that was likely completely aquatic with a fish-like tail have been found before. In fact, crocidilians have at various times filled a variety of ecological niches that they don't occupy today. For instance, some ancient species lived in arid environments, some were arboreal, some were bipedal, some had boar-like tusks and some were vegetarian or ate grubs[1]

1. A cool article about five different types of extinct crocs discovered in 2009 in Niger with such nick-names as "BoarCroc," "DogCrock," "RatCroc," "PancakeCroc," "DuckCrock"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      I'm fairly certain that fossils of an ancient crocodilian that was likely completely aquatic with a fish-like tail have been found before. In fact, crocidilians have at various times filled a variety of ecological niches that they don't occupy today. For instance, some ancient species lived in arid environments, some were arboreal, some were bipedal, some had boar-like tusks and some were vegetarian or ate grubs[1]

1. A cool article about five different types of extinct crocs discovered in 2009 in Niger with such nick-names as "BoarCroc," "DogCrock," "RatCroc," "PancakeCroc," "DuckCrock"
      Yup, in 2007 up in Oregon but it was amphibious although it "was awfully close to being purely aquatic."

Source: Jurassic Crocodile Unearthed in Oregon

The fossil of an ancient amphibious reptile with a crocodile's body and a fish's tail has been unearthed in Oregon. Scientists believe the creature's remains were transported by geologic processes nearly 5,000 miles away from where it originally died more than 100 million years ago.

The new fossil is the oldest crocodilian ever unearthed in Oregon and one of the few to be unearthed on this side of the Pacific. The “hybrid” animal is thought to be a new species within the genus Thalattosuchia, a group of crocodilians living during the age of dinosaurs.

The reptile roamed a tropical environment in Asia about 142 to 208 million years ago. Called a Thalattosuchian, the amphibious creature [image] represents an early milestone in evolutionary history, marking a transition during which these reptiles moved from being semi-aquatic to wholly ocean species.

Scientists uncovered the remains [image] of the six- to eight-foot-long reptile in Jurassic rock on private property in the Snowshoe Formation of the Izee Terrane, a rock formation in Oregon. They knew the croc came from Asia due to distinct anatomical features, such as the way its ribs were connected to the rest of its body.

The rock-entombed animal migrated eastward from perhaps Japan via continental drift, a theory of land movement in geological time, suggests William Orr, part of the fossil-discovery team and director of the Thomas Condon State Museum of Fossils at the University of Oregon.

During ancient times, the Pacific Ocean was much wider than it is today, and Orr suggests the rocky ride could have taken as long as 100 million years before reaching North America.

“This idea is kind of profound, that you can move pieces of the Earth’s real estate about the globe,” Orr told LiveScience.

Like modern-day crocodilians, the creature sported both land-lubbing and ocean-faring equipment. It had short, stubby legs, which the scientists say would have allowed it to creep easily along the ground and lay eggs.

But the amphibious Thalattosuchia was also at home in the water. With webbed feet and a fish’s tail, the reptile was likely a swift swimmer that could pulse through the water in search of aquatic prey.

“The thing that makes this creature unique is its tail,” Orr said. Unlike today’s reptiles, the creature had a shark-like tail, an indication of its ability to maintain itself in a marine environment.

“[The animal] was awfully close to being purely aquatic,” Orr said.

Source

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yup, in 2007 up in Oregon but it was amphibious although it "was awfully close to being purely aquatic."

Source: Jurassic Crocodile Unearthed in Oregon

The fossil of an ancient amphibious reptile with a crocodile's body and a fish's tail has been unearthed in Oregon. Scientists believe the creature's remains were transported by geologic processes nearly 5,000 miles away from where it originally died more than 100 million years ago.

The new fossil is the oldest crocodilian ever unearthed in Oregon and one of the few to be unearthed on this side of the Pacific. The “hybrid” animal is thought to be a new species within the genus Thalattosuchia, a group of crocodilians living during the age of dinosaurs.

The reptile roamed a tropical environment in Asia about 142 to 208 million years ago. Called a Thalattosuchian, the amphibious creature [image] represents an early milestone in evolutionary history, marking a transition during which these reptiles moved from being semi-aquatic to wholly ocean species.

Scientists uncovered the remains [image] of the six- to eight-foot-long reptile in Jurassic rock on private property in the Snowshoe Formation of the Izee Terrane, a rock formation in Oregon. They knew the croc came from Asia due to distinct anatomical features, such as the way its ribs were connected to the rest of its body.

The rock-entombed animal migrated eastward from perhaps Japan via continental drift, a theory of land movement in geological time, suggests William Orr, part of the fossil-discovery team and director of the Thomas Condon State Museum of Fossils at the University of Oregon.

During ancient times, the Pacific Ocean was much wider than it is today, and Orr suggests the rocky ride could have taken as long as 100 million years before reaching North America.

“This idea is kind of profound, that you can move pieces of the Earth’s real estate about the globe,” Orr told LiveScience.

Like modern-day crocodilians, the creature sported both land-lubbing and ocean-faring equipment. It had short, stubby legs, which the scientists say would have allowed it to creep easily along the ground and lay eggs.

But the amphibious Thalattosuchia was also at home in the water. With webbed feet and a fish’s tail, the reptile was likely a swift swimmer that could pulse through the water in search of aquatic prey.

“The thing that makes this creature unique is its tail,” Orr said. Unlike today’s reptiles, the creature had a shark-like tail, an indication of its ability to maintain itself in a marine environment.

“[The animal] was awfully close to being purely aquatic,” Orr said.

Source

Thank you for the new references!
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Yeah, crocodiles are often listed as being a "living fossil"[1] which seems strange given just how wildly diverse they were See post #3).

1. Personally I see "living fossil" as being a misnomer much in the same way "missing link" is. It sows confusion and leads to a lot of misunderstandings.Here are two great articles on the topic:

Comment

Yeah, crocodiles are often listed as being a "living fossil"[1] which seems strange given just how wildly diverse they were See post #3).

1. Personally I see "living fossil" as being a misnomer much in the same way "missing link" is. It sows confusion and leads to a lot of misunderstandings.Here are two great articles on the topic:
            A side note is I believe that the concept of how species are defined in the past is becoming increasingly unworkable. The more we study the genetics of living animals, genetics of recent extinctions, and fossil remains over the billions of years including the evolution of primate species, species do not evolve to other species. Evolution is more a continuum change, differentiation and branching overtime, and it has become increasingly difficult to define species at any place and time over the history of life over the billions of years. The exception to a certain extent is among the simpler life forms.

The conclusion is you will never 'see' one species evolve into another.
            Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-16-2018, 10:19 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              A side note is I believe that the concept of how species are defined in the past is becoming increasingly unworkable. The more we study the genetics of living animals, genetics of recent extinctions, and fossil remains over the billions of years including the evolution of primate species, species do not evolve to other species. Evolution is more a continuum change, differentiation and branching overtime, and it has become increasingly difficult to define species at any place and time over the history of life over the billions of years. The exception to a certain extent is among the simpler life forms.
              Often when it is demonstrated that there are indeed a lot of transitionals in the fossil record, it is followed by the complaint that it is incorrect to state that there are a lot of transitionals because they only represent a small percentage of the total number of fossils found.

The fact of the matter is that this is one of those times that you can say that there are many examples of as well as say that there are few examples of – and be correct. Both are correct. It all depends on the context. To clarify: when someone claims that there are absolutely no transitionals it would be absolutely accurate to say that this is false and that there are many examples. On the flip side, when talking about the number of clear, obvious transitionals compared to the number of different fossil creatures found it would be accurate to say there are few transitionals.

You may have noticed that I specified "clear, obvious transitionals." This is because it may be very easy to miss spotting some transitionals in the fossil record because only the most obvious differences can be seen by examining the hard parts (like shells, teeth and bones), which is usually all we have left to examine.
              For example, experts are hard pressed to distinguish between a skull from a modern tiger and a skull from a modern lion. While they are both big cats, I think we both can agree that they are very different. And that difference is far more than just outward appearances. Tigers are solitary hunters preferring to strike from ambush. Lions prefer to belong to a pride which usually go out together and run down prey (they are actually unusually social compared to other cats). The male lion rarely backs away from a conflict, whereas a tiger usually will.

Yet, looking at the skulls it takes an expert to tell them apart. IIRC, it is even a bit difficult to distinguish the rest of the body from skeletal remains as well even though tiger are usually stronger in the hind legs and lions usually stronger in the front legs. Lions can run considerably faster than a tigers can.

One other difference is that tigers have larger litters, averaging 2 to 4 cubs whereas lions average 1 to 2, but tigers nurse their cubs nearly twice as long. This isn't something that an examination of bones will reveal[1]

I imagine it would be even more of a challenge with animals you've never seen alive and the bones of which are often damaged and incomplete. And since most evolution seems to happen in the soft tissues (primarily because there is more of it than hard parts like bone), which are rarely preserved as fossils, it would seem to be highly likely that we've got many, many more transitionals but aren't able to recognize them.

All of this is compounded by a lack of trained paleontologists and taxonomists, for it can take a decade's labor to prepare and analyze the material for just one lineage. Not to mention that the description of fossils has been mostly restricted to professional literature and doesn't get seen by those outside the field (though this is thankfully changing due to the internet). As the fossils that we already have get examined by trained experts we'll surely see many more transitionals emerge from museum back rooms.

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
              The conclusion is you will never 'see' one species evolve into another.
              And yet we have repeatedly witnessed speciation take place both in nature and inside the lab. So much so that YECs have abandoned the claim that all species are independently and divinely created and now even rely upon speciation to try to explain how so few animals on Noah's Ark can be responsible for all the diversity of life that we see around us.

1. Another example is that while it is generally agreed that dogs descended from wolves the when and where is difficult to determine due to the difficulties researchers have in distinguishing between wolf remains and dog remains, and why now the answer is being determined by genetics.

Comment