Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Abortion Is Equal To Murder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Stop being so dramatically outraged.
    Oh, the Iron E.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Not at all!
      Stop being so dramatically outraged.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        I've seldom seen anyone more straitjacketed to their own point of view. It's like he's incapable of seeing anything else.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• This is fun....

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Even having been called out on it, in typical Tassman fashion, you simply play the same broken record over and over.
          So what does Tassman do? Plays the same broken record over again!

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Not at all! I’m adopting the position in 1973 of W. Barry Garrett, the Baptist Press’s Washington bureau chief.” Namely:

“When Roe was first decided, most of the Southern evangelicals who today make up the backbone of the anti-abortion movement believed that abortion was a deeply personal issue in which government shouldn’t play a role.”...“The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,”

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Every once in a while, you change your mind based on further input. Rare, but I've seen it happen.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              This is fun...
              It's blatant evasion.

So what does Tassman do? Plays the same broken record over again!
              I'll try again and see if you lapse into standard CP avoidance tactics. What’s changed over the past 45 years to make Evangelicals so adamantly opposed to abortion under any circumstances? When Roe v Wade was first handed down “The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision". Now opposition to Roe v Wade has morphed into the litmus for Evangelical orthodoxy.

What's changed? Answer the question.
              Last edited by Tassman; 05-26-2018, 08:45 PM.
              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

It's blatant evasion.

I'll try again and see if you lapse into standard CP avoidance tactics. What’s changed over the past 45 years to make Evangelicals so adamantly opposed to abortion under any circumstances? When Roe v Wade was first handed down “The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision". Now opposition to Roe v Wade has morphed into the litmus for Evangelical orthodoxy.

What's changed? Answer the question.
                Science informing the public. We've learned more about how a fetus develops and have gotten that out to people. It's why even many atheists are anti abortion. It's no longer just a religious issue. I was anti abortion years before I was a Christian.
                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

It's blatant evasion.
                  No, it's giving your post all the respect it deserves.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                    Science informing the public. We've learned more about how a fetus develops and have gotten that out to people. It's why even many atheists are anti abortion. It's no longer just a religious issue. I was anti abortion years before I was a Christian.
                    There is nothing known now about the development of fetuses that was not known 45 years ago. This is when Evangelicals praised the Roe v Wade decision saying that “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,”

But thanks for at least answering the question. Unlike some you are a person of integrity.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                    No, it's giving your post all the respect it deserves.
                    What a card!
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

There is nothing known now about the development of fetuses that was not known 45 years ago
                      45 years ago we didn't have actual video of the baby in the womb. 45 years ago, a mother couldn't watch a sonogram of the new person growing inside her.

Comment

45 years ago we didn't have actual video of the baby in the womb. 45 years ago, a mother couldn't watch a sonogram of the new person growing inside her.
                        It was ultrasound technology which caused one of the most strident abortion supporters, Bernard Nathanson co-founder of National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL), to reverse course and become staunchly pro-life and converted to Christianity.

Sorry ma'am but that's just an invasive clump of tissue.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Every once in a while, you change your mind based on further input. Rare, but I've seen it happen.
                          It has been rare here, no question about it. I don't usually take a stand on a position until I have significantly researched it. So when someone presents new "evidence" related to a position I already hold, I look to see if it is grounded, and how it measures up against the body of evidence I already have on the subject. I would expect most people to do the same. The challenge, for all of us, is to avoid "confirmation bias." It's one of the reasons I post to sites like this one, where pretty much everyone disagrees with me.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

This doesn’t alter the fact that when Roe v Wade was decided Evangelicals praised the decision saying that “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision". Sonograms do not change the reality of what was known about fetal development 45 years ago when this Landmark Decision was made.

Comment

This doesn’t alter the fact that when Roe v Wade was decided Evangelicals praised the decision saying that “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision".
                              They were just as wrong about slavery. Both incorrect positions have been corrected.

Sonograms do not change the reality of what was known about fetal development 45 years ago when this Landmark Decision was made.
                              It helps lay people to realize they've been lied to, and there's actually a human life in the womb - not just a clump of tissue.

Comment

They were just as wrong about slavery. Both incorrect positions have been corrected.
                                They fell for the same lies that most of us did. Bernard Nathanson, co-founder in 1969 of the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) and one time director of New York City’s Center for Reproductive and Sexual Health (who later found God and became a very vocal Pro-Life supporter) exposed how the pro-abortion movement relied on made-up statistics and outright lies (such as wholly fabricating figures concerning the number of deaths linked to illegal abortions) to garner support. His book Aborting America reveals this in excruciating detail. He noted that they constantly fed the media the lie that 10,000 women a year died as a result of botched illegal abortion when in fact it was but a tiny fraction of that (in 1972, the year prior to Roe v. Wade, 28 deaths were reported from illegal abortions).

Those fabricated statistics are still repeated in pro-abortion circles.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment