Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently even the Brits don't even care that much

Source: Poll finds minimal interest in royal wedding among Britons

Two in three Britons are "not interested" in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding this weekend, according to a new poll published on Tuesday.

The YouGov survey found 66 percent of British people were uninterested in the upcoming nuptials -- with around a third "not interested at all".

The poll, commissioned by anti-monarchy campaign group Republic, questioned 1,615 Britons over two days late last week.

Its release comes just four days before Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle tie the knot at St George's Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle in a pomp-filled occasion.

The survey found just nine percent of Britons were "very interested" in the wedding, with only around a quarter (27 percent) planning to watch or listen to parts of the ceremony live on TV, radio or online.

The poll also suggested dissatisfaction at public expenditure on the wedding.

More than half of the respondents said the royals should "pay for the entire wedding" and three-quarters reported not wanting any taxes to be used for the event.

The royal family are currently paying for the ceremony and reception, with taxpayers picking up the tab for policing and security.

Republic, the anti-monarchy campaign group which commissioned the poll, regards Saturday's wedding as just another showbiz sideshow.

"It's not a lot different from the international fascination with the Kardashians," its chief executive Graham Smith told AFP earlier this month.

The poll found Britons retain affection for the monarchy, with more than half of respondents saying they would be "disappointed" if the institution was scrapped.

However, the attachment does not appear to extend to Prince Charles, heir to the throne, with 46 percent of people saying somebody else should succeed 92-year-old Queen Elizabeth II.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'd rather watch paint dry.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        I'd rather watch paint dry.
        Royal blue paint?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          WARNING - One bad word!!!!

OK, removed the video, cause I think there's more than one bad word - Google Adam Sandler singing "I feel pretty"
          Adam Sandler uses bad words?
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Apparently even the Brits don't even care that much

Source: Poll finds minimal interest in royal wedding among Britons

Two in three Britons are "not interested" in Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's wedding this weekend, according to a new poll published on Tuesday.

The YouGov survey found 66 percent of British people were uninterested in the upcoming nuptials -- with around a third "not interested at all".

The poll, commissioned by anti-monarchy campaign group Republic, questioned 1,615 Britons over two days late last week.

Its release comes just four days before Prince Harry and American actress Meghan Markle tie the knot at St George's Chapel in the grounds of Windsor Castle in a pomp-filled occasion.

The survey found just nine percent of Britons were "very interested" in the wedding, with only around a quarter (27 percent) planning to watch or listen to parts of the ceremony live on TV, radio or online.

The poll also suggested dissatisfaction at public expenditure on the wedding.

More than half of the respondents said the royals should "pay for the entire wedding" and three-quarters reported not wanting any taxes to be used for the event.

The royal family are currently paying for the ceremony and reception, with taxpayers picking up the tab for policing and security.

Republic, the anti-monarchy campaign group which commissioned the poll, regards Saturday's wedding as just another showbiz sideshow.

"It's not a lot different from the international fascination with the Kardashians," its chief executive Graham Smith told AFP earlier this month.

The poll found Britons retain affection for the monarchy, with more than half of respondents saying they would be "disappointed" if the institution was scrapped.

However, the attachment does not appear to extend to Prince Charles, heir to the throne, with 46 percent of people saying somebody else should succeed 92-year-old Queen Elizabeth II.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Note, however, the source of the poll.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Adam Sandler uses bad words?
              I really know nothing about him.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I really know nothing about him.
                He's the king of low comedy.

sigpic

Comment

He's the king of low comedy.
                  Googled him - and I see that he's in a couple movies that Mrs CP and I tried to watch but had to abandon.

Comment

Note, however, the source of the poll.
                    YouGov?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      YouGov?
                      commissioned by anti-monarchy campaign group Republic

sigpic

Comment

commissioned by anti-monarchy campaign group Republic
                        Who I'm sure were delighted by the results but unless YouGov is openly selling themselves out to provide polling results that the clients want[1] then they don't have that much to say in the actual polling

1. Not inconceivable. IIRC one of the major U.S. polling groups several decades ago and Gallup's biggest rival gained that reputation and shrank rapidly in reputation.

Comment

I'm watching if I can prop my eyes open in time. I've a strong interest in this kind of thing. I even watched the wedding of Prince Felipe of Spain (and I'm told the whole Spanish world watched it too).
                          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by DesertBerean View Post
                            I'm watching if I can prop my eyes open in time. I've a strong interest in this kind of thing. I even watched the wedding of Prince Felipe of Spain (and I'm told the whole Spanish world watched it too).
                            Finally! A fellow traveler!
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Royal blue paint?
                              Yep! Go Royals!

Uh, not those Royals....
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Couldn't care less I'm afraid. But it's plastered over all our radio stations, TV news and internet news.

I'm not a monarchist, but then I couldn't care less about generic celeb weddings either.

Comment