Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
    As of now it will not happen.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/politics/trump-north-korea-summit/index.html

Washington (CNN)The sun was setting, dinner was waiting and President Donald Trump was making the short walk to his private residence when, on March 8, he suddenly made a detour to the press briefing room.

Peeking through a half-opened pocket door, Trump caught the eye of a small handful of reporters and drew them closer.

"South Korea's going to be making a major statement at about 7 o'clock," Trump said coyly. Vice President Mike Pence stood silently behind him.

"About what?" a puzzled reporter asked.

"The big subject," Trump replied, his scowl turning into a grin. "North Korea."

© Copyright Original Source

Trump's letter makes for VERY interesting reading. It was carefully crafted to shame Kim and leave him with no room to save face.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      Trump's letter makes for VERY interesting reading. It was carefully crafted to shame Kim and leave him with no room to save face.
      I do not believe that is an issue with the game that Kim is playing.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

I do not plan to go into a lot of detail unless someone is interested, but there is a problem with the geology of North Korea that it is not suitable for nuclear testing. What is required is stable large Granitic formations that form the core of major large mountain ranges. The whole region is highly prown to natural earthquakes. Their present test site was used for progressively higher yield nuclear tests. The evidence indicates that the recent test was a hydrogen bomb of sufficient yield that it caused the unstable collapse of part of the mountain and may have made the mountain unstable for further tests. This likely ended the testing for that mountain, and the rest of North Korea mountains are unsuitable for high yield tests. The highly publisized blowing up the the tunnels and closing the test site is a ruse as far as any real change in North Korea nuclear policy.
        That may very well be true.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And it could easily be Trump just exercising his "walking away power" - I do that every time I buy a new car.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

An absolutely genius approach to a shame-based society...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              And it could easily be Trump just exercising his "walking away power" - I do that every time I buy a new car.
              Kim's agenda is the Oriental divide and disrupt playing South Korea, China, and the USA against each other. He is not seriously concerned about Donald Trump nor what he does, and I believe he considers Trump a paper tiger, small t. He made moves only to appear sincere, such as release prisoners, phony destruction of the test facility, opening direct talks with South Korea, and working to improve relations with China.
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Kim's agenda is the Oriental divide and disrupt playing South Korea, China, and the USA against each other. He is not seriously concerned about Donald Trump nor what he does, and I believe he considers Trump a paper tiger, small t. He made moves only to appear sincere, such as release prisoners, phony destruction of the test facility, opening direct talks with South Korea, and working to improve relations with China.
                Kim is a psycho - that you think you understand him is comical. And the families of the prisoners don't give a flying flip about what Kim's motives were. They're home.

Comment

Kim is a psycho - that you think you understand him is comical. And the families of the prisoners don't give a flying flip about what Kim's motives were. They're home.
                  One thing I can assure is Kim is not concerned with loosing face with foreigners. His concern and motive is his own power and security. He has functioning missiles and H-bombs. He does not need to test any more.

What I described is simply a common Oriental strategy in history based simply on Kim's actual actions over recent month's.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    An absolutely genius approach to a shame-based society...
                    Funny how you get it without really getting it.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

One thing I can assure is Kim is not concerned with loosing face with foreigners. His concern and motive is his own power and security. He has functioning missiles and H-bombs. He does not need to test any more.

What I described is simply a common Oriental strategy in history based simply on Kim's actual actions over recent month's.
                      Yes, Kim is a psycho, but he is a Korean psycho that plays by Oriental rules of logic, and cultural orientation, which include certain facts as cited. He has no shame nor guilt for his actions, and has no respect for the West. To understand the consistent pattern you simple have to follow what his father and grandfather did concerning treaties and relationships with the West. It would be terribly naive to expect anymore. Ancestor respect and honor rules, and Kim would not loose face with his ancestors to enter into a dishonorable treaty with the USA nor any Western government.

He plays the game of go in international politics with skill: divide and confuse.
                      Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-24-2018, 09:18 PM.

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        While I have doubts over whether this will amount to anything I don't recall the North Koreans dismantling their test site under any of the other presidents. Or their leader willing to leave the country to meet any of the other presidents.
                        The only foreigners present were journalists, who were not equipped to assess the effectiveness of the "dismantling", the likelihood is it's just a propaganda stunt by Kim. Also the knowledge remains and Nth Korea has lots of mountains and tunnels to start afresh if needs be. So far it seems that Kim has been running the show, not Trump and who knows what input Xi has had. It's a real possibility that Trump is being played just like his predecessors were.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Three prisoners were freed. Their families really don't give a flying flip about the politics, and Trump was the one who managed that.

Comment

Funny how you get it without really getting it.
                            If the goal is to denuclearize the peninsula, an effective diplomat will find a way to give the leader of a shame-based society a way to achieve that without losing face within his own people. If that can be achieved while "saving face" for the U.S. better, it's a win-win. Trump and Pompeo have nowhere near that level of finesse and (as usual) are more concerned with "saving face" by the U.S. Frankly, no president/SoS has had that finesse yet. Perhaps the next one will.
                            Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-25-2018, 07:03 AM.
                            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                              If the goal is to denuclearize the peninsula, an effect diplomat will find a way to give the leader of a shame-based society a way to achieve that without losing face within his own people. Trump and Pompeo have nowhere near that finesse. Frankly, no president/SoS has had that finesse yet. Perhaps the next one will.
                              Yeah, I think that's what all the butt-kissing was in the letter Trump wrote.

Comment

Yeah, I think that's what all the butt-kissing was in the letter Trump wrote.

Comment