Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    Did you read the letter?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Did you read the letter?
      Yes
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Yes
        Cool
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cool
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

remedies-for-itchy-scalp.jpg

Comment

Here's a copy of the letter. Can we agree this is accurate?

I've bolded the parts that could be considered butt-kissing, to an extent.

Source: TheLetter

Dear Mr. Chairman:

We greatly appreciate your time, patience, and effort with respect to our recent negotiations and discussions relative to a summit long sought by both parties, which was scheduled to take place on June 12 in Singapore. We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant. I was very much looking forward to being there with you. Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting. Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place. You talk about nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.

I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you. In the meantime, I want to thank you for the release of the hostages who are now home with their families. That was a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated.
              If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write. The world, and North Korea in particular, has lost a great opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth. This missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history.

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. Trump
              President of the United States of America

source

© Copyright Original Source

There is plenty of "niceness" in there, along with the "stick".

Some liberals (Pelosi) are even complaining it was TOO nice.

Comment

Here's Pelosi (bless her heart) criticizing Trump's letter as too chummy...

Source: TheWeek

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) claimed North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is likely having "a giggle fit right now" over President Trump's letter calling off their planned summit in Singapore next month.

Kim "got global recognition and regard," Pelosi went on. "He's the big winner. When he got this letter from the president saying 'okay, never mind' — he must be having a giggle fit right there now in North Korea." Pelosi said that it was clear Trump didn't know what he was getting into in the negotiations with Pyongyang, and mocked the language used in his "very chummy, palsy-walsy letter."

source

(palsy-walsy? )

Comment

Here's a copy of the letter. Can we agree this is accurate?

I've bolded the parts that could be considered butt-kissing, to an extent.

Source: TheLetter

Dear Mr. Chairman:

We greatly appreciate your time, patience, and effort with respect to our recent negotiations and discussions relative to a summit long sought by both parties, which was scheduled to take place on June 12 in Singapore. We were informed that the meeting was requested by North Korea, but that to us is totally irrelevant. I was very much looking forward to being there with you. Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it is inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting. Therefore, please let this letter serve to represent that the Singapore summit, for the good of both parties, but to the detriment of the world, will not take place. You talk about nuclear capabilities, but ours are so massive and powerful that I pray to God they will never have to be used.

I felt a wonderful dialogue was building up between you and me, and ultimately, it is only that dialogue that matters. Some day, I look very much forward to meeting you. In the meantime, I want to thank you for the release of the hostages who are now home with their families. That was a beautiful gesture and was very much appreciated.
                  If you change your mind having to do with this most important summit, please do not hesitate to call me or write. The world, and North Korea in particular, has lost a great opportunity for lasting peace and great prosperity and wealth. This missed opportunity is a truly sad moment in history.

Sincerely yours,

Donald J. Trump
                  President of the United States of America

source

There is plenty of "niceness" in there, along with the "stick".

Some liberals (Pelosi) are even complaining it was TOO nice.
                  You appear to think "niceness" is a substitute for "saving face" in a shame-oriented culture. The entire letter basically says, "you said things we don't like, so we're not coming until you stop." Oh, and also, "our nuclear capabilities are bigger than yours." That puts Un in the position of having to back down to put the summit back on the map - and back-down is unlikely to happen in a shame-based culture.

Trump can be as "nice" as he wants - unless he provides Un with a face-saving means of both attending the summit AND denuclearizing, this will go nowhere.

Comment

You appear to think "niceness" is a substitute for "saving face" in a shame-oriented culture.
                    No, actually, I don't.

The entire letter basically says, "you said things we don't like, so we're not coming until you stop." Oh, and also, "our nuclear capabilities are bigger than yours." That puts Un in the position of having to back down to put the summit back on the map - and back-down is unlikely to happen in a shame-based culture.
                    This is a prime example of your bias - it says BOTH - but you'll only see it in the worst light possible.

Trump can be as "nice" as he wants - unless he provides Un with a face-saving means of both attending the summit AND denuclearizing, this will go nowhere.
                    I'll leave you to your incredibly leftist liberal pinko commie interpretation.

Comment

If the goal is to denuclearize the peninsula, an effective diplomat will find a way to give the leader of a shame-based society a way to achieve that without losing face within his own people.
                      All I can say is that I'm glad you're not the one trying to negotiate this deal. Kim expected Trump to show up at the negotiating table with his tail between his legs like Obama, and Trump said, "Nothing doing. Try again, and next time be more respectful."

Although I wasn't entirely accurate saying that Kim had no avenue to save face; he could save face if he ratchets down the rhetoric and cooperates with the Trump administration to negotiate a peace deal. Trump's carefully worded letter made it clear that it's Kim's belligerence that will cost him his honor. It will be interesting to see how Kim responds.
                      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

No, actually, I don't.
                        Fair enough - so then why the focus on the "niceness" of the letter?

This is a prime example of your bias - it says BOTH - but you'll only see it in the worst light possible.
                        It says both what..?

I'll leave you to your incredibly leftist liberal pinko commie interpretation.
                        Actually, my comments had to do with the function of a shame-based society. It doesn't really have anything to do with left or right, AFAICT. And you might note that I said no president has gotten this right yet, including Obama, both Bushes, Clinton and each of their SoS. N.K. has out-maneuvered each and every one of them.

Comment

Fair enough
                          Fine!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                            All I can say is that I'm glad you're not the one trying to negotiate this deal. Kim expected Trump to show up at the negotiating table with his tail between his legs like Obama, and Trump said, "Nothing doing. Try again, and next time be more respectful."

Although I wasn't entirely accurate saying that Kim had no avenue to save face; he could save face if he ratchets down the rhetoric and cooperates with the Trump administration to negotiate a peace deal. Trump's carefully worded letter made it clear that it's Kim's belligerence that will cost him his honor. It will be interesting to see how Kim responds.
                            We shall see. I do concur that Trump at least did not "play the game" as other presidents before him have. He also did not provide (at least in a way we can see) a visible out for Un. If Un now ratchets down the rhetoric, he's "adhering to U.S. demands," which is a shameful position to be in. It's doubtful he will do that, but we shall see.

Comment

We shall see. I do concur that Trump at least did not "play the game" as other presidents before him have. He also did not provide (at least in a way we can see) a visible out for Un. If Un now ratchets down the rhetoric, he's "adhering to U.S. demands," which is a shameful position to be in. It's doubtful he will do that, but we shall see.
                              Trump exercised "walking away power", and Kim wants him to come back.

Source: ChicagoTribune

Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye Gwan called Trump's decision "unexpected" and "very regrettable," and said the cancellation of the talks shows "how grave the status of historically deep-rooted hostile North Korea-U.S. relations is and how urgently a summit should be realized to improve ties."

Kim insisted North Korea's "objective and resolve to do our best for the sake of peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula and all humankind remain unchanged."

source

Trump also got the three PRISONERS RELEASED and home with their families, for which the liberals can't seem to give Trump any credit whatsoever.

(and, as I've stated before, Kim is a psycho, so whether any of this matters or not is beside the point - the PRISONERS are home with their families - that's a major win)

Comment

Here's Pelosi (bless her heart) criticizing Trump's letter as too chummy...

Source: TheWeek

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) claimed North Korean leader Kim Jong Un is likely having "a giggle fit right now" over President Trump's letter calling off their planned summit in Singapore next month.

Kim "got global recognition and regard," Pelosi went on. "He's the big winner. When he got this letter from the president saying 'okay, never mind' — he must be having a giggle fit right there now in North Korea." Pelosi said that it was clear Trump didn't know what he was getting into in the negotiations with Pyongyang, and mocked the language used in his "very chummy, palsy-walsy letter."

source

(palsy-walsy? )
                                This just once again shows that the democrats are just going to use anything Trump says or does as something to criticize him over. If he was too harsh and direct, they would have complained about him not being polite enough. They criticize him for eating more ice-cream than his guests, for eating fast food, for feeding fish incorrectly, etc.

All they are doing is showing their own pettiness.

Comment