Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Trump and North Korea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    Hey...I'm not the Bush/Cheney administration, either. Can I have a peace prize?
    I don't need no stinkin peace prize - just show me the money!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well Kim is now hemming and hawing about it and threatening to pull out of the summit.

North Korea threatens to cancel US summit over drills

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — North Korea on Wednesday canceled a high-level meeting with South Korea and threatened to scrap a historic summit next month between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un over military exercises between Seoul and Washington that Pyongyang has long claimed are invasion rehearsals.

The surprise declaration, which came in a pre-dawn dispatch in North Korea's state media, appears to cool what had been an unusual flurry of outreach from a country that last year conducted a provocative series of weapons tests that had many fearing the region was on the edge of war. It's still unclear, however, whether the North intends to scuttle all diplomacy or merely wants to gain leverage ahead of the planned June 12 talks between Kim and Trump.
      http://www.fox5dc.com/news/north-kor...ea-yonhap-says

Comment

We'll see. Could just be him putting on a show of strength publicly before conceding in private.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          We'll see. Could just be him putting on a show of strength publicly before conceding in private.
          Or negotiating for better standing in the negotiations, should they occur.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            According to CNN

North Korea monitors claim nuclear test site dismantling has begun

We'll see if the summit happens, and how that goes. The guy's a nutcase. (yeah, ask me which one)
            The North Koreans were forced to destroy the Nuclear test sites, because of the accident(s?)probably mandated by China, and the possibility of nuclear leaks. This may be ruse of an offer by North Korea in the negotiations. Recent announcements North Korea may strongly indicate their insincerity in the over all intent of these negotiations.

n the North Korean shell game there is no pea.
            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I don't think anybody ever seriously expected Trump to win the Nobel Peace Prize. It has lately become a participation trophy awarded by liberal elites to liberal elites which disqualifies Trump by default.

Although I think it would be hilarious if Trump was offered it and then told the committee exactly where they could shove it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                To be fair, the Obama peace prize was equally silly. I get the reason for it- he was essentially given it for not being the Bush II/Cheney administration- still daft though.
                It was fun listening to the Nobel Prize Committee strenuously deny that was the reason and then try to rationalize awarding it to Obama who had only been in office a few weeks.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                  The North Koreans were forced to destroy the Nuclear test sites, because of the accident(s?)probably mandated by China, and the possibility of nuclear leaks. This may be ruse of an offer by North Korea in the negotiations. Recent announcements North Korea may strongly indicate their insincerity in the over all intent of these negotiations.

This is, unfortunately, a very distinct possibility. So what do you think about North Korea's threats to cancel the conference? How does that fit into this scenario?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    This is, unfortunately, a very distinct possibility. So what do you think about North Korea's threats to cancel the conference? How does that fit into this scenario?
                    Blaming Trump and the USA for the breakdown of the talks. Given the recent history of North Korea in treaties this would be STOP.
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                      The North Koreans were forced to destroy the Nuclear test sites, because of the accident(s?)probably mandated by China, and the possibility of nuclear leaks.
                      I think that's the generally accepted scenario, yes.

This may be ruse of an offer by North Korea in the negotiations. Recent announcements North Korea may strongly indicate their insincerity in the over all intent of these negotiations.
                      And none of us would be shocked.

Worse than Iran, agreed.

Comment

I would add that this may a bit premature, but not encouraging. Kim may feel he as given some major concessions (but in reality no), and expects more from the USA. Kim and North Korea is too volatile to make conclusions at present.

Frank

Comment

I cannot say I am surprised. Here is the NPR spin on it. Here is the Fox spin on it.

It's not like we've seen very consistent policy on this or much else.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-24-2018, 03:41 PM.
                          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You have two incredibly predictably unpredictable persons....

It'll happen when it happens.

If it happens.

Comment

As of now it will not happen.

Source: https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/24/politics/trump-north-korea-summit/index.html

Washington (CNN)The sun was setting, dinner was waiting and President Donald Trump was making the short walk to his private residence when, on March 8, he suddenly made a detour to the press briefing room.

Peeking through a half-opened pocket door, Trump caught the eye of a small handful of reporters and drew them closer.

"South Korea's going to be making a major statement at about 7 o'clock," Trump said coyly. Vice President Mike Pence stood silently behind him.

"About what?" a puzzled reporter asked.

"The big subject," Trump replied, his scowl turning into a grin. "North Korea."

© Copyright Original Source

Frank

Comment

I do not plan to go into a lot of detail unless someone is interested, but there is a problem with the geology of North Korea that it is not suitable for nuclear testing. What is required is stable large Granitic formations that form the core of major large mountain ranges. The whole region is highly prown to natural earthquakes. Their present test site was used for progressively higher yield nuclear tests. The evidence indicates that the recent test was a hydrogen bomb of sufficient yield that it caused the unstable collapse of part of the mountain and may have made the mountain unstable for further tests. This likely ended the testing for that mountain, and the rest of North Korea mountains are unsuitable for high yield tests. The highly publisized blowing up the the tunnels and closing the test site is a ruse as far as any real change in North Korea nuclear policy.

Frank

Comment