Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thoughts go out.... Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    To me "thoughts" comes across as much more empathetic and compassionate than "prayers".

"Prayers" signals:
    1. I am pushing my religion in your direction. This can be offensive if the recipient is not the same religion as the offerer. As an atheist I do find it offensive myself when someone offers "prayers" in my direction. If they are trying to help by doing this, it is certainly not helpful to tell me that that is what they are doing.
    2. I am not going to (a) think about what I might do to help you; (b) feel compassion or empathy; but I am going to (c) pass the buck to someone who, if he exists, has already failed to intervene to prevent the problem in the first place.

By contrast "thoughts" signals:
    1. I am a kind person who has concerns about you in my heart and I respect your situation and will reflect on it with compassion and love. Somebody cares: You're not alone in this.
    2. I will consider your situation further with a view to thinking about what possible actions I might be able to take to help.
    3. Keep me posted with regard to further updates there is the possibility of intervention and assistance from my end, if and when appropriate.

For those reasons I would always prefer "thoughts" to "prayers".
    Well when someone says they are or have been praying for me, I find it comforting. It means I matter to them and that they think me important enough to ask God to help me. I don't see how you could get offended by that even if you are an atheist. Unless you are just a complete jerk.

I am not offended by people telling me that their thoughts are going out to me either. They are telling me that they care. I don't even mind if someone is another religion and says they are praying for me. Even if I don't believe in their God, I still know that they care enough to ask a higher power to help me.

You can pray to the Spaghetti Monster for me, Starlight and I will say "Thanks"
    Last edited by Sparko; 05-18-2018, 09:03 AM.

Comment

This thread reminds me of the joke, "I didn't buy you a birthday present, but I thought about it, and it's the thought that counts, right?"
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I kind of wonder if we're overthinking this. People say "bless you" all the time when someone sneezes even if they're not religious. They're probably just saying it out of politeness.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

When I was about ready to attempt suidice, I threw out a desperate prayer for someone, or something, who actually cared about me, to show up in my life in some way or shape or form, as I was desperate to feel wanted and cared, since I had experienced constant rejection in my life, and a host of other never-ending problems that seemed like they couldn't end. I had sworn to myself that I would attempt to end my life in about a month if this answer to my prayer did not happen.

About a week later, I noticed I was extremely happy, I woke up one day in a positive mood for the first time in a long time, even though I hadn't made any lifestyle changes that could change my mood in such a dramatic way. Shortly after that I became a follower of the Lord who I believe answered my prayer that day.

It's a good thing I didn't just send thoughts out to myself.
          Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-27-2018, 06:50 AM.

Comment