Announcement

Collapse

Animal Husbandry 101 Guidelines

Greetings Animal Lovers!

Welcome to Animal Husbandry 101, this is the place for all things animal.

Did you get a new pet? Tell us about it.Do you have a question about pet care? Ask it here. Are you thinking about getting a pet? Let us know.

There are a great many animal lovers at Tweb anxious to hear about and join in the fun.

In addition to the regular set of rules called the DECORUM, others rules will be enforced here as well.

1) Please keep all pets on a leash.
2) Please clean up after those pets that aren't quite paper trained.
3) Gerbils are not good pets. It's a long story

Thank you and let the games begin.
See more
See less

Facial Recognition - in Dogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial Recognition - in Dogs

I've been experimenting with Facial Recognition with Jake.

Sometimes, I just walk over and glare at him, and he bows his head.
    Sometimes, I'll just smile big, and his tail instantly starts wagging.
    Sometimes, I just raise my eyebrows, and he does, too.

I think Jake is ready to be a facial recognition expert.

Oh, but Jake only has ONE facial expression himself - sad puppy dog. No matter how excited he is, how fast his tail is wagging - his facial expression is 'sad puppy dog'.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Dogs are excellent readers of expressions and body language. Taz almost seemed to read my mind sometimes.

I even taught him a counting trick that fooled everyone. I taught him to bark and keep barking until I did a slight motion with my hand. Then I told people "give me a number between 1 and 5" - Then held up that many fingers and Taz would keep barking till I made the hand motion and stop. Looked like he was counting fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Dogs are excellent readers of expressions and body language. Taz almost seemed to read my mind sometimes.

I even taught him a counting trick that fooled everyone. I taught him to bark and keep barking until I did a slight motion with my hand. Then I told people "give me a number between 1 and 5" - Then held up that many fingers and Taz would keep barking till I made the hand motion and stop. Looked like he was counting fingers.
      Starting to give away some of your pirate tricks now?

Comment

Our cats always knew when I was sad and needed a cuddle without me asking.

Better than any human.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
          Our cats always knew when I was sad and needed a cuddle without me asking.

Better than any human.
          Yeah, but that involves posture and body language, too. I was strictly focusing on facial expressions. Did I mention Jake only has ONE?

Jake Excited Small.jpg
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Yeah, but that involves posture and body language, too. I was strictly focusing on facial expressions. Did I mention Jake only has ONE?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27820[/ATTACH]
            Yes, you mentioned it.

Cats are still better than dogs.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Yes, you mentioned it.

Cats are still better than dogs.
              That is pure sacrilege. You need to be banned from this thread immediately.

Comment

That is pure sacrilege. You need to be banned from this thread immediately.
                Okay.

Comment

Okay.
                  Good!

Now back to talking about how smart dogs are!

My dog could tell the difference in crinkling noises coming from the kitchen and whether it was a snack for him or not. If I crinkled a regular bag, say a shopping bag without food in it, he would ignore it. If it was a bag of chips or cookies or dog snacks, the slightest rattle would have him zooming into the kitchen to check it out.

Comment

Good!

My dog could tell the difference in crinkling noises coming from the kitchen and whether it was a snack for him or not. If I crinkled a regular bag, say a shopping bag without food in it, he would ignore it. If it was a bag of chips or cookies or dog snacks, the slightest rattle would have him zooming into the kitchen to check it out.

Our cats used to come whenever we had ice cream or hot cereal, because they could tell the difference between the spoon scraping milky sweetness as compared to soup.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27820[/ATTACH]
                      That's a bug, not a feature.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The ol' Clever Hans trick. Lucky for you that you never ran across anyone familiar with it or they would have likely called you out.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Good!

My aunt had a Schnauzer-Poodle mix named Pepper. In his later years he went stone deaf. The only way to wake him was to stomp your foot (he felt the vibration), and yet whenever my aunt used the electric can opener he would wake up and run to the kitchen which was at the other end of the house.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Our cats used to come whenever we had ice cream or hot cereal, because they could tell the difference between the spoon scraping milky sweetness as compared to soup.
                            hey! I thought I banned you?

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              The ol' Clever Hans trick. Lucky for you that you never ran across anyone familiar with it or they would have likely called you out.
                              Way to steal my thunder.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X