Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take Back Our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Take Back Our Country

So apparently Ms. Clinton gave a speech and invoked that infamous phrase, "take back America." Apparently we need to take it back from the right. We need to take it back from pro-lifers - from pro-gun people - from all of those people who have apparently "hijacked" our country.

She's wrong.

There's exactly ONE kind of person we need to take this country back from - and they exist on the left AND the right. We need to take this country back from every narrow-minded ideologue, whatever their views, who thinks anyone that disagrees with them is "unamerican" and is "hijacking the country." This is a country founded on the ideals of discourse, discord, and compromise. When they determine that anyone that disagrees with them is "unamerican and "the enemy," they undermine the very foundations of our country.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Maybe somebody should tell Hillary that we did take back our country when we chose President Trump to help us Make America Great AgainTM.

Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      So apparently Ms. Clinton gave a speech and invoked that infamous phrase, "take back America." Apparently we need to take it back from the right. We need to take it back from pro-lifers - from pro-gun people - from all of those people who have apparently "hijacked" our country.

She's wrong.

There's exactly ONE kind of person we need to take this country back from - and they exist on the left AND the right. We need to take this country back from every narrow-minded ideologue, whatever their views, who thinks anyone that disagrees with them is "unamerican" and is "hijacking the country." This is a country founded on the ideals of discourse, discord, and compromise. When they determine that anyone that disagrees with them is "unamerican and "the enemy," they undermine the very foundations of our country.
      I could actually hear the fife and drums playing in the background!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I could actually hear the fife and drums playing in the background!
        And you didn't see the waving flag and the looming Statue of Liberty?
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And you didn't see the waving flag and the looming Statue of Liberty?
          With a Bald Eagle soaring around them!
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
            With a Bald Eagle soaring around them!
            And just WHO is going to clean up the bird poo...?

Comment

And just WHO is going to clean up the bird poo...?
              Lady Liberty will have to take care of the cleaning chores.

Comment

I would agree with you but mostly after we get the game back on to the proper field. Right now people are trying to play the game in Marx's backyard -- which is not fitting for American pro sports.

Until we get our children educated in the US Constitution and its wisdom, the younger generations are prone to undermining the very foundations of our country without particularly recognizing what they are doing.

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                  I would agree with you but mostly after we get the game back on to the proper field. Right now people are trying to play the game in Marx's backyard -- which is not fitting for American pro sports.

Until we get our children educated in the US Constitution and its wisdom, the younger generations are prone to undermining the very foundations of our country without particularly recognizing what they are doing.
                  I have no problem with this - as long as people recognize that we can even have disagreements about what the various parts of the constitution mean, and how they should be applied, and even if they should be repealed, without being unamerican.

Comment

Lady Liberty will have to take care of the cleaning chores.
                    You will report immediately to the re-education camp, you male chauvinist pig*!

*uhoh, I think I just called mw an animal.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I have no problem with this - as long as people recognize that we can even have disagreements about what the various parts of the constitution mean, and how they should be applied, and even if they should be repealed, without being unamerican.
                      I have very little hope that we will ever come back from the incredibly polarized parties who are far more concerned about getting/staying in power than what's good for America.

Comment

I have no problem with this - as long as people understand the meaning of the Constitution based on the knowledge gleaned from the earliest writings, not from modern aberrations seeking to nullify the power of the Constitution.

Comment

I have very little hope that we will ever come back from the incredibly polarized parties who are far more concerned about getting/staying in power than what's good for America.
                          Yeah!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I think things will get better. Trump has done some cleanup of the swamp. We just have to get the rogue politicians out of the system.

Comment

I think things will get better. Trump has done some cleanup of the swamp. We just have to get the rogue politicians out of the system.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment