Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Take Back Our Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    No one said anything about "getting rid of the protections it affords," Jedidiah, with the sole exception of the 2nd Amendment, which was ill advised and the founders gave us a means to change things if they became problematic, which is entirely American.
    The Bill of Rights may not be amendable. They were included to make sure the federal government didn't infringe on the rights of the people. The reason that these God-given rights were enumerated was so that the Constitution might not be misconstrued to disregard these rights. Our rights are the in essence the highest law of the land. Only certain powers were granted to the US Government (and in these powers the US Constitution is the highest law of the land). The US Government is not authorized to infringe on our rights.

Just to be clear ...
    The concept of God-given right (i.e., relating to the philosophical concepts underlying the Constitution) are innumerable and inalienable -- to breathe, to eat, to assemble, to enjoy the fruit of our labors, to defend ourselves, to travel unhindered, to have and utilize our property, to marry, to enter into contracts, to enjoy privacy, to be secure in our possessions, to trade with others, etc. etc.

These are essentially elements that impose no obligation on other people nor impose an obligation on ourselves concerning other people, excepting that we may not infringe on other people's rights.
    Last edited by mikewhitney; 05-20-2018, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Jeb Bush and John Kasich make William Boos Tweed look like a saintly choir boy?

You guys always seem to forget that, long before Trump was running against Clinton, he ran against 17 other Republicans - and the Republicans chose Trump out of that slate of options. So then saying, "well we had to choose him, he was better than Clinton," is a bit disingenuous. After all, you're the ones who narrowed it to that choice.
      From what I can tell, the GOP was looking for someone they didn't care would be loser in the election. We see there is a shortage of GOP support for Trump in Congress.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Can't remember exactly who it was that I voted for in the primaries, but being an ABT it wasn't Trump.
        And here I figured you would at least make a remark about my reference.

Comment

I think the reason Trump has so many enemies on both sides of the aisle is because he's a pig.
          Nah. Washington doesn't give a crap about morality, or Bill Clinton would be the most despised president in US history. It's Trump's politics and refusal to toe the Uniparty line that Washington hates.
          Last edited by Mountain Man; 05-20-2018, 06:38 PM.
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
            And here I figured you would at least make a remark about my reference.
            Just because that wasn't the part I picked to comment on doesn't mean I didn't catch the reference[1]

1. maybe not as much as I thought because for whatever reason I was thinking it was from Futurama

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Jeb Bush and John Kasich make William Boos Tweed look like a saintly choir boy?

You guys always seem to forget that, long before Trump was running against Clinton, he ran against 17 other Republicans - and the Republicans chose Trump out of that slate of options. So then saying, "well we had to choose him, he was better than Clinton," is a bit disingenuous. After all, you're the ones who narrowed it to that choice.
              My preference was Lyin' Ted Cruz. But I think he was already out of the race by the time the PA primaries rolled around. And honestly, I don't think he'd have done as well against Hil, and if he did manage to win, I don't think he'd have accomplished as much as Trump has.
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

While a few decades ago a majority of Americans deemed themselves pro-abortion with only about a third considering themselves pro-life that has change dramatically since then with the numbers reaching a parity since 2010. Further, Americans have always wanted abortion regulated and have rejected what the abortion-on-demand mentality foisted by the left that has brought us including such horrors as partial-birth abortion and now straight-out undeniable infanticide what with "after-birth abortions" being supported in some quarters.
                American have already got "abortion regulated" in Roe vs Wade. And, at the time, many people praised it. "Shortly after the decision was handed down, The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,” read the January 31, 1973, piece by W. Barry Garrett, The Baptist Press’s Washington bureau chief."

https://billmoyers.com/2014/07/17/wh...re-pro-choice/
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Don't be deliberately dense carp
                  And you, of course, cut out the part that followed...
                  The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    The Bill of Rights may not be amendable. They were included to make sure the federal government didn't infringe on the rights of the people. The reason that these God-given rights were enumerated was so that the Constitution might not be misconstrued to disregard these rights. Our rights are the in essence the highest law of the land. Only certain powers were granted to the US Government (and in these powers the US Constitution is the highest law of the land). The US Government is not authorized to infringe on our rights.

Just to be clear ...
                    The concept of God-given right (i.e., relating to the philosophical concepts underlying the Constitution) are innumerable and inalienable -- to breathe, to eat, to assemble, to enjoy the fruit of our labors, to defend ourselves, to travel unhindered, to have and utilize our property, to marry, to enter into contracts, to enjoy privacy, to be secure in our possessions, to trade with others, etc. etc.

These are essentially elements that impose no obligation on other people nor impose an obligation on ourselves concerning other people, excepting that we may not infringe on other people's rights.
                    Any part of the constitution is amendable, if the people so elect. I know of no part of the constitution that limits the scope of an amendment. If you do, please let me know. Now, whether or not it WILL be amended is another question.

As for "god given," those of us who do not believe there IS a god do not think the founders were correct on this one, and our numbers are climbing. So the time will likely come when the founder's rationale will appear rather quaint, but we will proceed forward that "human rights" derive from being human, and our desire to extend to others the rights we wish for ourselves.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      American have already got "abortion regulated" in Roe vs Wade. And, at the time, many people praised it. "Shortly after the decision was handed down, The Baptist Press, a wire service run by the Southern Baptist Convention — the biggest Evangelical organization in the US — ran an op-ed praising the ruling. “Religious liberty, human equality and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision,” read the January 31, 1973, piece by W. Barry Garrett, The Baptist Press’s Washington bureau chief."

https://billmoyers.com/2014/07/17/wh...re-pro-choice/
                      First of all, the article you cite is NOT the Baptist Press, and it is NOT the SBC - that's an OPINION piece by Joshua Holland on Bill Moyer's personal website / BLOG. He quotes somebody who stated an opinion nearly FIFTY YEARS ago when the SBC was still on its liberal drift.

Bill Moyers is a leftist who has frequently attacked the SBC.

From the ACTUAL BAPTIST PRESS -
                      NASHVILLE, Tenn. (BP)--Journalist Bill Moyers called Southern Baptist Convention leadership "theological Stalinists" and charged the leaders have exploited "an unsuspecting laity's" reverence for the Bible. Four SBC leaders vigorously challenged his remarks.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Any part of the constitution is amendable, if the people so elect. I know of no part of the constitution that limits the scope of an amendment. If you do, please let me know. Now, whether or not it WILL be amended is another question.
                        I think, technically, "any part" of the Constitution is NOT amendable, in the sense of that "part" being changed textually, but the document itself is. For example, the 18th amendment banned alcohol in the US, but when prohibition ended, the 18th was not "amended" - it was left in place in text, but repealed in power by the 21st amendment.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

As for "god given," those of us who do not believe there IS a god do not think the founders were correct on this one, and our numbers are climbing. So the time will likely come when the founder's rationale will appear rather quaint, but we will proceed forward that "human rights" derive from being human, and our desire to extend to others the rights we wish for ourselves.
                          Is there a way to change the philosophical framework that the founding fathers worked under? I'm not saying that your beliefs have to match. But legally speaking, the original concepts are supposed to inform decisions on the Constitution. But there is a big push to remove any superior definition of rights and take God out of the picture. None of this means that you have to proclaim that the Creator exists. But you sound pretty scary when you are starting to rely on humans to be decent.

Comment

Then of course you lose the whole idea of inalienable rights.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              Then of course you lose the whole idea of inalienable rights.
                              Bingo. Once you declare that man is the ultimate authority then it quickly devolves into "anything goes".
                              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                Bingo. Once you declare that man is the ultimate authority then it quickly devolves into "anything goes".
                                And guess where we are headed today.
                                Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment