Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Pope Says It OK To Be Gay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Exactly, and one wonders if that guy (kid at the time) was not raped all those years if he would be gay today.
    That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I thought, in a weird way, the Pope is excusing the sexual abuse.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      That's exactly what I was thinking, and why I thought, in a weird way, the Pope is excusing the sexual abuse.
      While I'd still like to see confirmation on it, I'm not holding out much hope here. Next, the church to declare this one an antipope.
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        While I'd still like to see confirmation on it, I'm not holding out much hope here. Next, the church to declare this one an antipope.
        The thing is, this has made international news and no denial as yet... That speaks volumes...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So, we have a report of a private statement that we don't really know the exact context of and, even if being reported accurately, is fully in line with Catechism 2358.

Not really news when you get down to it. Not that misrepresenting or misquoting a pope's statements has ever stopped the media from going crazy whenever they get an opportunity to report on something "shocking" supposedly said by a pope.
          Last edited by Terraceth; 05-21-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
            So, we have a report of a private statement that we don't really know the exact context of and, even if being reported accurately, is fully in line with Catechism 2358.

Not really news when you get down to it. Not that misrepresenting or misquoting a pope's statements has ever stopped the media from going crazy whenever they get an opportunity to report on something "shocking" supposedly said by a pope.
            No its not in line with 2358. 2358 points out that homosexuality is intrinsically disordered, and that those who are, are called to fulfill God's will in their lives. That's a far cry to say "God made you this way" to say it's in line when that part of the Catechism states that homosexuality is disordered. It is disordered. The temptation to sin is the human condition and its part of our imperfect fallen nature. God didn't make us "imperfect" its part of our fallen self.....bear in mind having a propensity toward something doesn't mean we are actively committing a sin. But that's also a problem to say "God just created us that way. He did not. And that's where I have an issue. The Pope did go against centuries of church teaching.
            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Yeah, in a weird way, it's almost like he's minimalizing the abuse -- "it's ok, God made you that way", so maybe He made the priest that way, too.
              Not sure how you arrive at that interpretation. As for the claim he's minimalizing the abuse, Francis recently got the various bishops who allegedly covered up the abuses to resign. Not sure how someone can claim he's "minimizing" it after taking what seems a relatively grand step against those allegedly culpable.

No its not in line with 2358. 2358 points out that homosexuality is intrinsically disordered, and that those who are, are called to fulfill God's will in their lives. That's a far cry to say "God made you this way" to say it's in line when that part of the Catechism states that homosexuality is disordered. It is disordered. The temptation to sin is the human condition and its part of our imperfect fallen nature. God didn't make us "imperfect" its part of our fallen self.....bear in mind having a propensity toward something doesn't mean we are actively committing a sin. But that's also a problem to say "God just created us that way. He did not. And that's where I have an issue. The Pope did go against centuries of church teaching.
              Oh, that was what people were having a problem with? I thought it was about the claims about the person in question being loved by God, hardly in opposition to that part of the catechism. If we're talking about the claim that someone was made by God that way, that's much more iffy, though (even if true) seems to have just been an off-the-cuff comment and thus not necessarily phrased the best.

Of course, that's assuming his statement is being reported accurately. I stick by my statement that based on past experience with the media making "shocking" claims about statements by a pope (which are generally done by taking things out of context, relying on secondhand information, or misrepresenting what they said), any media report on "shocking" statements made by a pope should generally be disregarded as likely misrepresented unless it was made on the record and we have the exact context. Actually, that's not a bad idea for reports on quotes from people in general.
              Last edited by Terraceth; 05-21-2018, 07:37 PM.

Comment

What did he mean by "gay"?

In his recent bestselling book on homosexuality, evangelical Preston Sprinkle insists that we should always ask what is meant by "gay" before answering these questions.

But, from an evangelical perspective, I don't know that I would have said "God made you like this". There probably is a genetic component to homosexuality in many cases, but a better approach would have been to say that God loves you too much to allow you to live in sin.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                  What did he mean by "gay"?

In his recent bestselling book on homosexuality, evangelical Preston Sprinkle insists that we should always ask what is meant by "gay" before answering these questions.

But, from an evangelical perspective, I don't know that I would have said "God made you like this". There probably is a genetic component to homosexuality in many cases, but a better approach would have been to say that God loves you too much to allow you to live in sin.
                  Down's Syndrome indubitably has a 'genetic component'; I think it's safe to say that genetic errors can be attributed to effects of the curse, not God's creation.
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    Down's Syndrome indubitably has a 'genetic component'; I think it's safe to say that genetic errors can be attributed to effects of the curse, not God's creation.
                    It's difficult to argue that harmful mutations are a result of the Fall if you are not a YEC (which I'm not).
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                      Not sure how you arrive at that interpretation. As for the claim he's minimalizing the abuse, Francis recently got the various bishops who allegedly covered up the abuses to resign. Not sure how someone can claim he's "minimizing" it after taking what seems a relatively grand step against those allegedly culpable.
                      You're making my point - he's all over the place, and seems to say whatever makes him more likable to the masses.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                        that

Comment

It's difficult to argue that harmful mutations are a result of the Fall if you are not a YEC (which I'm not).
                          Not necessarily. 'the fall' doesn't have to be thought of as entirely literal. That said things like The genetic division in trisomies are VERY different as they happen because of a fault during meiosis as opposed to something such as being gay which is closer related to the environment in which one is raised, hormonal issues (possibly) and early sexual experiences and has no genetic component despite all efforts to prove otherwise.
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Not necessarily. 'the fall' doesn't have to be thought of as entirely literal. That said things like The genetic division in trisomies are VERY different as they happen because of a fault during meiosis as opposed to something such as being gay which is closer related to the environment in which one is raised, hormonal issues (possibly) and early sexual experiences and has no genetic component despite all efforts to prove otherwise.
                            The point I'm getting at is that there were clearly natural disasters before the dawn of humanity (earthquakes, volcanoes, etc.) as well as genetic mutations, some of which were very harmful, so arguing as many Christians do that these were a result of the Fall is going to result in arguing for reverse causality, which I don't find plausible.

I know William Lane Craig made this exact point somewhere, and agreed that reverse causality was implausible, but I'm having trouble finding it on his website.
                            Last edited by KingsGambit; 05-21-2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

One of many reasons I am a YEC.

Comment

You're making my point - he's all over the place, and seems to say whatever makes him more likable to the masses.
                                There are a number of faithful Catholics who aren't real happy with him right now for this reason. He's kind of a loose cannon on this stuff.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment