Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NAACP leader's racial profiling claim challenged after bodycam footage released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAACP leader's racial profiling claim challenged after bodycam footage released

NAACP leader's racial profiling claim challenged after bodycam footage released

Is it just possible that a lot of this "Cops hate blacks" rhetoric is totally made up?

Let's check in with South Carolina NAACP chapter president Rev. Jerrod Moultrie, who accused the police of racial profiling.

police profiling.jpg

"Tonight, I was racially profiled by Timmonsville Officer CAUSE I WAS DRIVING A MERCEDES BENZ AND GOING HOME IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD," Timmonsville NAACP President Rev. Jerrod Moultrie said in an April 13 Facebook post, according to Fox 5 Atlanta.

What does the BodyCam video show?

"He made a comment that the officer accused him of having drugs in the car,” Timmonsville Police Chief Billy Brown said, according to the station. “He said that his wife and grandchild was in the car. He asked them not to move because the officer looked as if he might shoot them or something. He also made mention that the officer continued to ask him about his neighborhood. Why was he in that neighborhood? And threaten[ed] to put him in jail in reference to something dealing with the registration to the vehicle."

Brown told the station that after reviewing the bodycam video of the stop, he determined there was nothing to Moultrie’s claims.

"When I saw the video, I was shocked that someone who is supposed to be a community leader, a pastor, and head of the NAACP would just come out and tell a blatant lie,” the police chief said. “It bothered me. It really bothered me, thinking about the racial unrest it could've cost in the community and it's just troubling to me that someone who held a position like that would come out and just tell a lie.”

Based on the body camera footage, the officer who stopped Moultrie neither asked if he had drugs in the car nor why he was driving in the area,” the Raleigh News & Observer reported.

The paper reported that the officer stopped Moultrie for making a turn without signaling.

According to the paper, Moultrie’s Facebook post had been deleted.

Fox 5 quoted a local community activist as saying that he was so upset by Moultrie’s claims that he went to the police department to take a look at the video.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Typical of lefty liars.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      Typical of lefty liars.
      And a REVEREND, no less!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm definitely cynical enough to believe this fool intentionally neglected to signal in order to provoke the whole thing.
        Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          I'm definitely cynical enough to believe this fool intentionally neglected to signal in order to provoke the whole thing.
          I hadn't even thought of that, though it's certainly well known that there needs to be some kind of probably cause to make a stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I hadn't even thought of that, though it's certainly well known that there needs to be some kind of probably cause to make a stop.
            I doubt it's the case. Failure to use turn signals is endemic around me, and it never seems to be a focus of enforcement.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

And a REVEREND, no less!
              Can't this guy be arrested for making such false claims.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                Can't this guy be arrested for making such false claims.
                If the cops wanted to play into his hands, yes.

Comment

If the cops wanted to play into his hands, yes.
                  So he gets a free pass? Would I or you?
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                    I doubt it's the case. Failure to use turn signals is endemic around me, and it never seems to be a focus of enforcement.
                    signaling is not required in california. if you do it, the spot you want to move to is quickly blocked.

Comment

probably cause to make a stop.
                      I like the probably clause

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                        signaling is not required in california. if you do it, the spot you want to move to is quickly blocked.
                        I've become convinced that using a turn signal around here is viewed as some sort of sign of weakness.
                        Last edited by rogue06; 05-21-2018, 05:56 PM.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                          It's a great example of nanny-state idiocy. Let's not enforce something which might prevent an accident; instead, let's spend every effort to make sure that, when someone gets into an accident, they're wearing seatbelts to protect themselves.
                          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                          sigpic
                          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The guy's claim: "Tonight, I was racially profiled by Timmonsville Officer CAUSE I WAS DRIVING A MERCEDES BENZ AND GOING HOME IN A NICE NEIGHBORHOOD."

Even if he was questioned about being in a nice neighborhood, that doesn't prove racial profiling. Several years ago, I arrived super early for a job interview. I wasn't about to sit in the lobby for 45-minutes (that could make a bad impression), so I drove into a nearby neighborhood, parked, and started reading a book to pass the time. After about 15-minutes, two police cars pulled up, and a very stern police officer demanded to know what I was doing because someone had called to report a suspicious vehicle matching the description of my car. I explained my situation, and after a few more questions and several penetrating looks from the two officers, he finally wished me good luck on my interview, and they left.

Now imagine the story I could tell if I was black.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              It's a great example of nanny-state idiocy. Let's not enforce something which might prevent an accident; instead, let's spend every effort to make sure that, when someone gets into an accident, they're wearing seatbelts to protect themselves.
                              Many years ago, I was going to be driving in Baltimore, and I was sternly warned by my host, "do NOT use your turn signals on the Baltimore Beltway, or somebody will quickly rush in to block your lane change". I don't know if they were kidding, or not.

Comment