Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Poll: Do you dislike Mexican immigrants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Great story, the thing is people like Star or Tass do not know these people and probably never had any personal interaction with them yet keep talking out their butts like they know something....
    Yeah, it's like "you're conservative, so you HAVE to hate...." while demonstrating their own hatred for us.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Yes, I never knew this until I had Mexican neighbors. They consider themselves Europeans, not to be confused with the "natives" of South America who they consider Latino.
      I always understood "Hispanic" to include all Spanish speaking peoples, Spain, Central, Middle, South Americans, Cubans, etc. and "Latino/Latina" to be people from Latin America. When I lived in Texas, the Mexicans would call themselves "Chicano/Chicana"

Comment

I think it revolves around the immigration issue and public assistance.
        In one word: "Dreamers."

Republicans allowed it to become an immense wedge issue and have probably lost the generation of Mexican-Americans that W. Bush was competitive for (40%).
        "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
        Hear my cry, hear my shout,
        Save me, save me"

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
          As a quick aside...I have a fairly close Hispanic friend who once told me that all the Mexicans that he knew did NOT like being called Latino's. Anyone else ever heard that?
          I believe the acceptable generic term is "Hispanic".
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I always understood "Hispanic" to include all Spanish speaking peoples, Spain, Central, Middle, South Americans, Cubans, etc. and "Latino/Latina" to be people from Latin America. When I lived in Texas, the Mexicans would call themselves "Chicano/Chicana"
            IIRC "Chicano" specifically means someone from Mexico although it appears to have different meanings in different areas.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Yeah, one of our missionary candidates was from Mexico, but she preferred to be called an Indian, because she was Mosquito (Miskito / Mosquitia) Indian.

Interestingly, we found out that her tuition for the ENTIRE YEAR at Rio Grande Bible School was only like $450 a year, so our little Church agreed to pay her way through college. On Thanksgiving and Christmas, when the school would shut down for the holidays, it was WAY TOO FAR for her to go all they way back home, so we would drive down to the valley and bring her home with us.

Side story -- one night, she and two of her college friends were sitting in my living room (they stayed with us all through Christmas / New Year) and we were talking - I speak a little TexMex, and at the time, Araceli spoke very little English.

She had a theological question she wanted to discuss, and for the next TWO HOURS, we sat and had a conversation where she understood everything I said, and I understood everything she said. My wife was there, and told me after the fact, that she really couldn't understand what Celi was saying, but she could tell that I was totally getting it.

It was absolutely amazing!

Anyway, another case of me disliking Mexican immigrants, I guess.
              And possibly an valid use of "Tongues/hearing"?
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Yeah, I remember as a kid, some preferred to be called "Chicano", (remember Chico and the Man?), but one time I used that term, and a Mexican got highly offended and asked if I wanted to fight.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                  And possibly an valid use of "Tongues/hearing"?
                  I use that as my example of a legitimate use, yes. And I half jokingly call it "hearing in ears" rather than "speaking in tongues", because I was hearing in my own language even though my wife was not - Celi was clearly still speaking in Spanish.

It's my own personal opinion that at Pentecost, this is what was happening - everybody heard in their own language.

Comment

I don't think the vast majority of people actually "hate" others of anyone skin color, I DO think that those that legitimately do hate others are probably the loudest and most obnoxious voices. I think that's what makes the headlines
                    A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      IIRC "Chicano" specifically means someone from Mexico although it appears to have different meanings in different areas.
                      And it specifically, according to my understanding, referred to a man or a boy who was brought to the US.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        Yeah they wanted to be known as Mexican or Chicano. This was in El Paso back in the mid-70s in my middle school.

Comment

Yeah they wanted to be known as Mexican or Chicano. This was in El Paso back in the mid-70s in my middle school.
                          Have you been to El Paso since? Bring your body armor.

Comment

Yeah, I remember as a kid, some preferred to be called "Chicano", (remember Chico and the Man?), but one time I used that term, and a Mexican got highly offended and asked if I wanted to fight.
                            Chicano can be a seriously loaded term depending on who you're talking to and their politics. "Chicano" in the US carries some leftist-national pride associations, I think. In Mexico, it was a term that implied mixed/prominent Indian (their word) ancestry. Thus not all Chicanos identify as "Hispanic" or "Latino" if they identify more closely as Indian. Not all "Hispanics" or "Latinos" identify as Chicanos, especially if they don't believe--like my family--that they had Indian ancestry. (My grandmother was four feet tall and brown and if you asked if we had Indian ancestry, she'd get mad.) Additionally, this is strictly a Mexican thing. Not an issue with other types of "Latinos."

Chicanx and Xicanx are things, btw.
                            "Down in the lowlands, where the water is deep,
                            Hear my cry, hear my shout,
                            Save me, save me"

Comment

Like i said, this was way back in the mid-1970s.

Comment

Have you been to El Paso since? Bring your body armor.
                                I watch it on Live*PD. They have El Paso on there quite a bit.

It was pretty bad back when I lived there. Lot's of gangs, even in our middle school. I pretty much kept to myself.

Comment