Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Poll: Do you dislike Mexican immigrants?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    I suspect this poll's going to suffer from the "I'm not racist, but..." phenomena.
    I shoulda voted yes!

Ya know, like messin' with Sasquatch...

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      Reading your post has shown me you’ll just make up what you want to believe and screw what the evidence says.
      He makes up his mind and then searches out whatever evidence he can find that supports it and simply pushes aside everything that doesn't.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I grew up in Southern California with plenty of friends and relatives that are Latino. In Starlight land though, if you disagree you’re a ‘closet racist’ and forever have to prove you’re not.
        The fact that you even acknowledge the ethnicity of your friends and relatives proves you're a racist in the minds of liberals. Of course if you failed to acknowledge their ethnicity then that would make you a racist, too.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I suspect this poll's going to suffer from the "I'm not racist, but..." phenomena. People in the US have learned to say they're not racist when directly asked, and hence will say that they don't dislike Latinos (or simply choose not to respond to the poll if they know they're going to be truthfully forced to vote for the 'wrong' answer), but will turn around and advocate for policies that are based on a dislike of Latinos or that are pretty unsubtle about the racist motivations of them. In short, if you take a bunch of racists and poll them as to whether they are racist, they will nearly all vote no.
          I suspect you are suffering from "all Christians/Republicans are racist, so no matter what they say to the contrary, I won't believe them"

I am sure you are going to think this is a "I have black friends" sort of claim, but my best friend growing up was half-Mexican. I am half-German. We both came from immigrant families and both of our dad's were in the Army. We lived all over the world, and everywhere we went we were all mixed together with the native population and every race imaginable. I also spent a lot of time growing up in the Southwest in El Paso and Tuscon. I would estimate that the population was at least 1/3 Latino and that was back in the 1970's. Never had a problem with them, I even had a crush on this one Mexican girl that lived next door.

I only have a problem with illegal immigrants. Of any nationality. They are taking the place of people who have been waiting in line for years, wanting to do it right.

Comment

Or, maybe, many years of reading posts here has given me a more accurate sense of what posters think than whether they tick one box or another?
            Then you are either dense or dishonest. What we have been against is illegal immigration. I don't care if they come from Mexico or Poland. BTW Star, my natural father was Brazilian.
            Last edited by seer; 05-22-2018, 09:19 AM.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I grew up in Southern California with plenty of friends and relatives that are Latino. In Starlight land though, if you disagree you’re a ‘closet racist’ and forever have to prove you’re not.
              And I bet Star never had a close relationship with a Latino or black. Yet he gets to judge us... Lilly white hypocrite.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I dislike Starlight in general....

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                  Then you are either dense or dishonest. What we have been against is illegal immigration. I don't care if they come from Mexico or Poland. BTW Star, my natural father was Brazilian.
                  Oh noes! You are Latino! No wonder Starlight dislikes you so much!

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Oh noes! You are Latino! No wonder Starlight dislikes you so much!
                    Yep, his subtle racism is showing...

Comment

Yep, his subtle racism is showing...
                      But I'm proud of you, Royal Wedding Watcher, that you didn't get triggered.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        But I'm proud of you, Royal Wedding Watcher, that you didn't get triggered.
                        It was hard!

Comment

It was hard!
                          Tissue?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Tissue?
                            Please...

Comment

I suspect this poll's going to suffer from the "I'm not racist, but..." phenomena. People in the US have learned to say they're not racist when directly asked, and hence will say that they don't dislike Latinos (or simply choose not to respond to the poll if they know they're going to be truthfully forced to vote for the 'wrong' answer), but will turn around and advocate for policies that are based on a dislike of Latinos or that are pretty unsubtle about the racist motivations of them. In short, if you take a bunch of racists and poll them as to whether they are racist, they will nearly all vote no.
                              I can't speak for the rest of the country but...if you live in Texas, you have Hispanic friends and neighbors. Is there still some racism? Sure, is it widespread and virulent? No, it is not. I have friends of all stripes including a son who is bi-sexual and living with his trans-woman girlfriend. (who are welcome in my home at any time). Your view of America and of conservatives is very skewed.
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

In Texas, there are certain trades that seem pretty much dominated by Mexican (or Latino) labor.

When I was building my house, most of my contractors were Mexican or Latino. I worked with them on a pretty much daily basis, and often brought them lunch - a full spread of fajitas or BBQ or whatever.

Naturally, I wanted to make them happy so they'd do good work on my house, but I genuinely appreciated their work ethic - always showing up on time, putting in a full day's work, demonstrating a determination to 'get the job done'... I never asked to see a green card, or question them about their legal status - that was the responsibility of the general contractor, himself a Mexican immigrant, and we quickly became best friends.

There is absolutely no reason to "dislike" these hard working people.

They even slept and ate in my house!!!!

workers at home.jpg

Lunch with my Mexican friends...

lunch!.jpg

Comment