Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL�s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    This ruckus has one and only one root - and I think we all know what it is.
    Do tell.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's not hard to grasp. It's just inconsistent, IMO. When the left does it, it's "fascism." When the right does it, it's "just business."
      Break it down - what's the inconsistency? Give an example of where I (or we) cried "facism" when an employer tried to govern the conduct of their employees 'on the clock'.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Do tell.
        These are black young men, protesting the treatment of black people at the hands of the police, using the flag and the anthem as the vehicle. Trump saw an opportunity for an "easy win" and made it an issue. It taps a broad spectrum of the population: racists will align behind it because they are black; the right (generally) will align behind it because it's the flag and its viewed as criticism of the police. And because the right overwhelmingly rejects Black Lives Matter - and this echoes the theme that gave birth to that movement - it brings anyone with that mindset into the fray. And Trump understands the power that advertising will have, so if he can diminish viewership with this campaign, he'll get exactly the results we're seeing.

As I have noted before, Trump is a media genius. Too bad that capability is found in a man with no detectable moral compass.
        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

These are black young men....
          Ah, so RACISM!!!!! I actually thought you were better than that.

Comment

Ah, so RACISM!!!!! I actually thought you were better than that.
            And clearly you read the rest of my post...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And clearly you read the rest of my post...
              Yes, I did, but when you start with RACISM!!! the proceed to speculation....

Comment

Yes, I did, but when you start with RACISM!!!....
                Read it carefully, CP. At no point did I accuse anyone of being racist - except those who are self-proclaimed racists. Your knee is jerking more than a little...

Comment

Read it carefully, CP. At no point did I accuse anyone of being racist - except those who are self-proclaimed racists. Your knee is jerking more than a little...
                  wow

Comment

I cannot say I am surprised by the defense.

BTW, we get on TWO knees for reverential prayer. We get down on ONE knee to propose, and we "bend a knee" to swear allegiance and loyalty. If the posture of these young men is examined, that is exactly what they are doing. And the position is traditionally interpreted as one of respect and allegiance.

I made the same comment last year. That the players were ironically taking a reverent posture when they took a knee. Not that they WANTED to. Their reason was not to worship the flag or the country, but to protest it. Just because they ironically took a worshipful, respectful pose, didn't make what they were doing respectful. It just makes them morons. The proper way to disrespect the anthem would be to turn their back on the flag, or walk off the field. But then football players are not known for their brains.

Comment

Here's the summary of one of your posts....

And I suspected this was going to be about race, but I didn't "knee jerk", I ASKED....

Do tell.
                      And you start out with the answer to "we all know what it is"....

These are black young men...
                      That has absolutely NOTHING to do with why I (or anybody I know) dislikes this "focus the attention on ME" crap during the playing of the national anthem. I don't care if they're black or purple or bespeckled!

Then to accuse ME of knee jerking?

Perhaps you're having another of those "meltdowns", Carpe, and need to take a deep breath.

Comment

It's not hard to grasp. It's just inconsistent, IMO. When the left does it, it's "fascism." When the right does it, it's "just business."
                        Again, I ask.....

Break it down - what's the inconsistency? Give an example of where I (or we) cried "fascism" when an employer tried to govern the conduct of their employees 'on the clock'.

Comment

Here's the summary of one of your posts....

And I suspected this was going to be about race, but I didn't "knee jerk", I ASKED....
                          Your suspicion was not founded. My "single cause" was Trump, not race.

And you start out with the answer to "we all know what it is"....
                          Actually - my post ended with that statement.

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with why I (or anybody I know) dislikes this "focus the attention on ME" crap during the playing of the national anthem. I don't care if they're black or purple or bespeckled!

Then to accuse ME of knee jerking?

Perhaps you're having another of those "meltdowns", Carpe, and need to take a deep breath.
                          Actually, I'm not feeling anything at all, CP. Just posting. But your response is pretty strong. So let's look at my actual post:

These are black young men, protesting the treatment of black people at the hands of the police, using the flag and the anthem as the vehicle.

This is an accurate description of what is going on - if it's not, then please tell me how it is off.

Trump saw an opportunity for an "easy win" and made it an issue.

This has been noted in many media outlets and opinion pieces. It's not a new observation.

It taps a broad spectrum of the population: racists will align behind it because they are black;

This seems fairly self-evident to me.

the right (generally) will align behind it because it's the flag and its viewed as criticism of the police.

This is the comment specifically about the right, and it says nothing about racism. It is about the flag and "standing up for" the police force.

And because the right overwhelmingly rejects Black Lives Matter - and this echoes the theme that gave birth to that movement - it brings anyone with that mindset into the fray.

This is based on polling that has been done since the emergence of this movement (example here), and is reflected in many opinions posted here. Overwhelmingly, Republicans, and especially Trumpublicans, reject Black Lives Matter, and this group is promoting a similar theme. If you think this is inaccurate, then I invite you to provide the information that supports that.

And Trump understands the power that advertising will have, so if he can diminish viewership with this campaign, he'll get exactly the results we're seeing.

As I have noted before, Trump is a media genius. Too bad that capability is found in a man with no detectable moral compass.

And the rest of this returns to the theme I was initially suggesting: this is an issue because Trump made it one, seeing it as an "easy win," especially within his base. He can safely exercise his own racism and hide behind, "it's not about the black players, it's about disrespecting flag and country." Except these young men are actually taking a position historically associated with allegiance - a single knee.

So it strikes me that your reaction is pretty strong, and I have to wonder how much of that is associated with your history as a police officer. No one has accused you (or anyone else, except actual racists and Trump) of being racist. I am not surprised that your reaction is about the flag and criticism of police.

Somehow, we have reached the place that as soon as someone says "black," the knee jerk reaction is the one you just showed, "don't call me racist!" If you read carefully, you were never called racist, unless you self-identify as one or you are Trump. I don't believe either is true. You are right-leaning, so the statement about "the right" applies to you - that statement is about flag and police.
                          Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-24-2018, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Your suspicion was not founded. My "single cause" was Trump, not race.
                            Your disdain for Trump is duly noted, but he's not the ONLY one who got tired of the drama.

So it strikes me that your reaction is pretty strong, and I have to wonder how much of that is associated with your history as a police officer.

Comment

Your disdain for Trump is duly noted, but he's not the ONLY one who got tired of the drama.
                              I did not say he was.

Weren't you a police officer at one point? You told a story the other day about scaring your wife in which it appeared you were going for your duty shift to the station across the street. Did I misunderstand?

Comment

Source: NFL players reportedly already discussing new forms of protest after national anthem rule

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment