Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

NFL’s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL’s Proposed National Anthem Rules

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the stadium....

ATLANTA — On Tuesday, NFL owners put three hours aside for a privileged session to speak—amongst themselves and family members—about the most sensitive of topics.

One was how the league will handle players kneeling during the national anthem going forward. An idea being floated in the room goes like this: It would be up to the home team on whether both teams come out of the locker room for the anthem, and, should teams come out, 15-yard penalties could be assessed for kneeling.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I can't believe they are still doing this.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I can't believe they are still doing this.
      Yeah, it got pushed out of the news by a whole bunch of other stuff... and the fact that it's not football season. Yet.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Well, here it is!

Either STAND for the National Anthem, or stay in the locker room until it's over. Players AND personnel....

New policy requires on-field players, personnel to stand for anthem

ATLANTA -- NFL owners have unanimously approved a new national anthem policy that requires players to stand if they are on the field during the performance but gives them the option to remain in the locker room if they prefer, it was announced Wednesday.

The policy subjects teams to a fine if a player or any other team personnel do not show respect for the anthem. That includes any attempt to sit or kneel, as dozens of players have done during the past two seasons to protest racial inequality and police brutality. Those teams also will have the option to fine any team personnel, including players, for the infraction.

"We want people to be respectful of the national anthem," commissioner Roger Goodell said. "We want people to stand -- that's all personnel -- and make sure they treat this moment in a respectful fashion. That's something we think we owe. [But] we were also very sensitive to give players choices."

All 32 owners approved the policy, which will be part of the NFL's game operations manual and thus not subject to collective bargaining. The NFL Players Association said in a statement that it will review the policy and "challenge any aspect" that is inconsistent with the CBA.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to the stadium....

ATLANTA — On Tuesday, NFL owners put three hours aside for a privileged session to speak—amongst themselves and family members—about the most sensitive of topics.

One was how the league will handle players kneeling during the national anthem going forward. An idea being floated in the room goes like this: It would be up to the home team on whether both teams come out of the locker room for the anthem, and, should teams come out, 15-yard penalties could be assessed for kneeling.
          So this has apparently been adopted - and I have to wonder what the reaction from the right is. For a while now I've been listening to how the left squelches free speech and adopts a fascist attitude to those who want to say things the left does not want to hear. Now, we have an example of something the right does not want to hear - and people are going to be fined if they express their views.

So.... new rules because now it's something the right doesn't want to hear?
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            So this has apparently been adopted - and I have to wonder what the reaction from the right is. For a while now I've been listening to how the left squelches free speech and adopts a fascist attitude to those who want to say things the left does not want to hear. Now, we have an example of something the right does not want to hear - and people are going to be fined if they express their views.

So.... new rules because now it's something the right doesn't want to hear?
            Football is a business. It's not about a forum for free speech. The owners obviously weighed the impact on their bottom line, and decided it was to their advantage to come up with this solution.

They're not paying these players for their opinions, they're paying them to play ball. They're totally free to do their soap box stuff on their own dime.

Comment

Football is a business. It's not about a forum for free speech. The owners obviously weighed the impact on their bottom line, and decided it was to their advantage to come up with this solution.

They're not paying these players for their opinions, they're paying them to play ball. They're totally free to do their soap box stuff on their own dime.
              Ahh... so when it's a "right position" and it is barred in various contexts, it's "fascism," but when it's a "left position" and it's barred - it's "just business?"

Really?

I have to admit, this one amazes me. These boys are kneeling at the national anthem. They aren't flipping anyone the bird...they aren't sitting or laughing...they are kneeling, which is one of the arguably most respectful positions humanity has. They are doing so because they want to draw attention to the plight of the black person in 2018 America. But their voice cannot be heard because the right will boycott the games if they continue to do this...

...and then the same people object because boycotting shows (like Laura Ingraham) amounts to fascism.

I have to admit, it sounds like two different sets of rules, depending on who is doing what and who doesn't want to hear it.
              Last edited by carpedm9587; 05-23-2018, 05:47 PM.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Ahh... so when it's a "right position" and it is barred in various contexts, it's "fascism," but when it's a "left position" and it's barred - it's "just business?"
                No, when I'm paying you to perform a service, and it's all about the TEAM, I don't need you running off championing your own causes on my dime.

I don't know why that's so hard to grasp.

Comment

No, when I'm paying you to perform a service, and it's all about the TEAM, I don't need you running off championing your own causes on my dime.

I don't know why that's so hard to grasp.
                  It's not hard to grasp. It's just inconsistent, IMO. When the left does it, it's "fascism." When the right does it, it's "just business."

Last I checked, unless you literally bought a ticket to the stadium, which is a fraction of their revenue, none of us "pays a dime" to watch football; the advertisers do.

And I repeat that kneeling is one of the most reverential postures a human can adopt. So the problem is...?

Comment

It's not hard to grasp. It's just inconsistent, IMO. When the left does it, it's "fascism." When the right does it, it's "just business."
                    You're comparing apples to oranges. The NFL is regulating a specific act in a specific context, not a blanket ban. Players are free to protest to their heart's content elsewhere. I follow an NFL team rather religiously. Trust me, the players have a high level of visibility off the field.
                    Last I checked, unless you literally bought a ticket to the stadium, which is a fraction of their revenue, none of us "pays a dime" to watch football; the advertisers do.
                    Advertisers pay because they want to get their product in front of television viewers. If the television viewers dwindle, so does advertising revenue - which affects the bottom line.
                    And I repeat that kneeling is one of the most reverential postures a human can adopt. So the problem is...?
                    Context. In the case of the national anthem, the respectful cultural posture is standing. In my religious tradition, I typically stand for prayer; only penitential prayers are said while kneeling - as a sign of penitence, not respect.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't just make it policy to only have the players come onto the field until after the national anthem is sung. Seems like it solves all the problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                        I'm surprised they didn't just make it policy to only have the players come onto the field until after the national anthem is sung. Seems like it solves all the problems.
                        That might give the impression that they were hiding it. They want to assure the fans that it is (hopefully) finally over.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Bingo! And KACHING! And advertisers represent businesses who have customers with actual opinions on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            In my religious tradition, I typically stand for prayer; only penitential prayers are said while kneeling - as a sign of penitence, not respect.
                            That's actually interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              You're comparing apples to oranges. The NFL is regulating a specific act in a specific context, not a blanket ban. Players are free to protest to their heart's content elsewhere. I follow an NFL team rather religiously. Trust me, the players have a high level of visibility off the field.

Advertisers pay because they want to get their product in front of television viewers. If the television viewers dwindle, so does advertising revenue - which affects the bottom line.

Context. In the case of the national anthem, the respectful cultural posture is standing. In my religious tradition, I typically stand for prayer; only penitential prayers are said while kneeling - as a sign of penitence, not respect.
                              I cannot say I am surprised by the defense.

BTW, we get on TWO knees for reverential prayer. We get down on ONE knee to propose, and we "bend a knee" to swear allegiance and loyalty. If the posture of these young men is examined, that is exactly what they are doing. And the position is traditionally interpreted as one of respect and allegiance.

This ruckus has one and only one root - and I think we all know what it is.

Comment