Announcement

Collapse

Computer Lab Guidelines

Here in the computer lab, we talk about cool tech, the newest coolest gadgets, and tackle your toughest tech questions.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time. Forum Rules: here
See more
See less

Anti viruses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti viruses

Hey Guys what’s the best anti virus software?
    I got a Lenovo computer and had issues with it ( keeps shutting down randomly)and had to take it back to the store. The women there told me AVG is useless and allows viruses onto the laptop before dealing with them. She told me trend or Nortons. However I have heard Norton’s slows the computers down terribly.
    So since there are heaps of knowledgeable people here I thought I would ask opinions

AVG is not useless. I really wouldn't take computer advice from the Geek Squad at Best Buy.

Are you necessarily wanting something free?

Avast gets pretty good ratings in pretty much any antivirus evaluation I see.

avast.jpg

Little Joe is a whole lot more active in the IT world these days than I am - let's see what he says.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I just use the one that comes with Windows 10. Defender, Security Essentials, whatever they are calling it now. In addition I sometimes use Malware Bytes to check for malware and spyware.

As long as you are careful with opening attachments and clicking on unknown links, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        I just use the one that comes with Windows 10. Defender, Security Essentials, whatever they are calling it now. In addition I sometimes use Malware Bytes to check for malware and spyware.

As long as you are careful with opening attachments and clicking on unknown links, you shouldn't have much to worry about.
        Yeah, I've had no trouble at all with that - on the machines I don't consider crucial.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Sophos and Panda are good too.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I actually use the paid version of AVG.
            {tim} also said he just uses the windows antivirus

Thanks guys
            So does AVG actually allow the virus onto the computer?

Comment

Originally posted by Luv1another View Post
              I actually use the paid version of AVG.
              {tim} also said he just uses the windows antivirus

Thanks guys
              I don't know about AVG.

Personally I use Malwarebytes Premium (Which isn't really a necessity, but I like the active web protection which let's me know if a website I'm on is doing some dodgy stuff) the and Windows Defender (which should be already be active on your computer unless you've manually de-activated it). I haven't had any problems so far.
              Last edited by JonathanL; 05-24-2018, 01:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luv1another View Post
                Thanks guys
                I think that's a Geek Squad member pretending to be computer savvy.

Comment

On Windows 10, I use Windows Defender. In the past I was a loyal Avast user, but as my computer got older, it was often the thing that was hogging the most resources.

AVG is on a par with Avast.

Norton's DO NOT TOUCH. It's a steaming pile of Thirsty's uhhhh, leavings..... It used to be the best, but it, along with McAfee are now the first things I remove from a computer when I'm helping friends. They're resource hungry hogs, that spam the crap out of you and stop working as soon as you stop the money supply.
                  Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                  1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                  -Ben Witherington III

Comment

I have to echo the Windows Defender. I've been using it on my and my wife's Windows 10 PC for about a year now and have had no issues...and it's free. I used to use AVG Free but I got tired of the constant (and sometimes sneaky) attempts to upgrade me to their premium service.

The company I work for uses Symantec Endpoint Protection. It doesn't seem to slow down the pc's like the old Norton's did. But, it sometimes has issues with the updates that require someone with knowledge and/or skill to resolve. I still don't recommend Nortons/Symantec to anyone on a stand alone pc.

Also, Bill is correct, Sophos and Panda are good choices.

I've never used Malwarebytes Premium, but if it's as good as there Malwarebytes clean up tool, it would probably be a good choice as well.
                    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                      On Windows 10, I use Windows Defender. In the past I was a loyal Avast user, but as my computer got older, it was often the thing that was hogging the most resources.

AVG is on a par with Avast.

Norton's DO NOT TOUCH. It's a steaming pile of Thirsty's uhhhh, leavings..... It used to be the best, but it, along with McAfee are now the first things I remove from a computer when I'm helping friends. They're resource hungry hogs, that spam the crap out of you and stop working as soon as you stop the money supply.
                      Yeah I used to use AVG, but then it started to suck, so I went to Avast. But then it became a hog and missed stuff that it should have found, and so I went to windows defender.

I never did like Norton's. It used to slow down PCs really badly. I don't know about now. I heard they fixed it. but why pay for something when Defender is free and does a good job?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        Yeah I used to use AVG, but then it started to suck, so I went to Avast. But then it became a hog and missed stuff that it should have found, and so I went to windows defender.

I never did like Norton's. It used to slow down PCs really badly. I don't know about now. I heard they fixed it. but why pay for something when Defender is free and does a good job?
                        I've had Norton / Symantec mess up other programs, and when you contact support, they make you uninstall their program and reinstall - and it wouldn't reinstall, so then you have to go into the registry, and manually delete some settings, and hunt for some folders to delete... it was a grand pain in the butt.

I think I even had to download a "removal tool" that also failed.

I used to really like Norton back in the day when they were Norton Commander and Norton Utilities and Norton DOS editor, etc....

I don't use any Norton or Symantec anymore at all - ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          I've had Norton / Symantec mess up other programs, and when you contact support, they make you uninstall their program and reinstall - and it wouldn't reinstall, so then you have to go into the registry, and manually delete some settings, and hunt for some folders to delete... it was a grand pain in the butt.

I used to really like Norton back in the day when they were Norton Commander and Norton Utilities and Norton DOS editor, etc....

I wouldn't either if I didn't have to... It has gotten better in the last 2 years...but I wonder how much some of our issues might trace back to Symantec...
                          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

They used to use semantic here at work, but I just checked and now they are using windows defender here too! We also have mimecast to protect our email. It checks any links you click, and screens attachments. I also have Acronis True Image on my machine which does backups but also has some Ransomware protection built in that stops any programs that tries to change any system files or encrypt anything without express permission.

Comment