Slide Rules - have you EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
    Mostly A for me too. I kept mine for years, but if I found I would have to figure out how to work it all over. It never became second nature to me.
    Yeah!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I had a friend named Ned (we called him Ned the Nerd, and he loved it) who took to a slide rule like a duck to a pond.

One day he asked our algebra teacher if he could use his slide rule in class - we didn't have calculators - and she shrugged and said, "if you can figure out how to use it".

Ned would zip - zap - zada -- there's the answer! It really seemed like second nature to him, and he would get frustrated when we wouldn't allow him to try to teach us how simple it was.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I had a friend named Ned (we called him Ned the Nerd, and he loved it) who took to a slide rule like a duck to a pond.

One day he asked our algebra teacher if he could use his slide rule in class - we didn't have calculators - and she shrugged and said, "if you can figure out how to use it".

Ned would zip - zap - zada -- there's the answer! It really seemed like second nature to him, and he would get frustrated when we wouldn't allow him to try to teach us how simple it was.
        It did seem to get simpler as you used it more, but HP and Reverse Polish Notation drove all that from my mind.
        Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

It did seem to get simpler as you used it more, but HP and Reverse Polish Notation drove all that from my mind.
          After all, a young man's mind can only hold so much stuff what with pretty girls around and all.

Comment

Virtual Slide Rule:

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/s...l-n909-es.html

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Now THAT is impressive!!!

You can even flip to the other side, and convert yards to feet, etc...

Comment

Now THAT is impressive!!!

You can even flip to the other side, and convert yards to feet, etc...
                They have several different models:
                http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/index.html

Comment

They have several different models:
                  http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/sim/index.html
                  Yeah, been looking at that....

and INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/s...y-example.html

Comment

Yeah, been looking at that....

and INSTRUCTIONS!!!!

http://www.antiquark.com/sliderule/s...y-example.html
                    Yeah that's how I found the site. I was looking for instructions when I borrowed my friend's slide rule as mentioned above.

Comment

Not sure if it was Apollo 13, or The Right Stuff, or one of those space movies, but they actually had a guy (playing a flight engineer) sitting there doing the calculations on the slide rule real time, and he said he had to learn how to use it for real so it didn't look fake in the movie.

Comment

Not sure if it was Apollo 13, or The Right Stuff, or one of those space movies, but they actually had a guy (playing a flight engineer) sitting there doing the calculations on the slide rule real time, and he said he had to learn how to use it for real so it didn't look fake in the movie.
                        Yeah it is kind of scary knowing what they used to get to the moon. The computer was a joke. The capsule was just a tin can, the lander was wrapped in mylar, the wiring was all done by hand.

Comment

Yeah it is kind of scary knowing what they used to get to the moon. The computer was a joke. The capsule was just a tin can, the lander was wrapped in mylar, the wiring was all done by hand.
                          ...and every part was built by the lowest bidder.

Comment

I think of this every time I hear "What a Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke.

I have never used a slide rule. Back in the day, I believe kids at my school learned to use them in 11th Grade (i.e. Junior year) Chemistry. Mine was the first class that did not, but instead used pocket calculators.

From what I've heard, at least in the early days, proficient users of slide-rules could outperform calculator-users.
                            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

*nostalgic sigh*
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                                I think of this every time I hear "What a Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke.

I have never used a slide rule. Back in the day, I believe kids at my school learned to use them in 11th Grade (i.e. Junior year) Chemistry. Mine was the first class that did not, but instead used pocket calculators.

From what I've heard, at least in the early days, proficient users of slide-rules could outperform calculator-users.
                                Yeah, cause it's a matter of "process", not just pushing buttons.

Comment