Slide Rules - have you EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slide Rules - have you EVER

Have you ever actually used a slide rule?

A) Just in class to learn how?
    2) In class as part of doing actual math?
    C) In business, engineering, or whatever for work?

For me, only A)
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Nope.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Same here. By the time I got into the workplace handheld calculators came out.
      When I Survey....

Comment

I tried using one once to do my homework at my grandparents' place. Though not as easy to use as a calculator, it was an interesting and different experience.
        ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

I worked as a Project Designer for a Civil Engineer for 6 years but never saw one used. The computer did all the work that a Slide rule would be needed for...I've seen it used, but never even studied how it functions.
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I just used one a few months ago.

Not as a slide rule, but as an exhibit in a trial!

I borrowed my friend's slide rule and let the lawyers at work borrow it for a trial they were having. Not sure exactly what they did with it, but they needed a slide rule!

I did use one once back in the 70s in Algebra or something like that in high school. For about 1 semester. Pretty interesting things. Whoever invented them was ingenious.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I just used one a few months ago.

Not as a slide rule, but as an exhibit in a trial!

I borrowed my friend's slide rule and let the lawyers at work borrow it for a trial they were having. Not sure exactly what they did with it, but they needed a slide rule!

I did use one once back in the 70s in Algebra or something like that in high school. For about 1 semester. Pretty interesting things. Whoever invented them was ingenious.
              There are even ROUND ones, that are far less known.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Whoever invented them was ingenious.
                True dat!

What brought them to my mind was that my wife and I just watched "Hidden Figures", in which the "computers" (people who did calculations) and mission control staff used them....

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  True dat!

What brought them to my mind was that my wife and I just watched "Hidden Figures", in which the "computers" (people who did calculations) and mission control staff used them....

I am always amazed at the things people used in the past for calculating and measuring, and for engineering. Like the Antikythera mechanism

Comment

Me too, only A...
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

I am always amazed at the things people used in the past for calculating and measuring, and for engineering. Like the Antikythera mechanism
                      Yessir... the things they accomplished. Whenever I'm in Southern Ohio, I like to go on an Amish Barn safari. They have HUGE barns with no internal supports - no big columns or posts - just big open areas, and they have been standing for decades!

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        Yessir... the things they accomplished. Whenever I'm in Southern Ohio, I like to go on an Amish Barn safari. They have HUGE barns with no internal supports - no big columns or posts - just big open areas, and they have been standing for decades!
                        But the people in the past were stupid weren't they? I mean they believed in spirits and magic and they didn't even have phones or flush toilets!

Comment

But the people in the past were stupid weren't they? I mean they believed in spirits and magic and they didn't even have phones or flush toilets!
                          At least they never flushed their phones down their toilets!

Comment

Yes, to calculate feeds and speeds for lathe work. Nothing fancy.

Today I use a[n obsolete] programmable calculator for CNC milling feeds and speeds. And to make calculations for operator adjustments where it is not the simple addition and subtraction.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Mostly A for me too. I kept mine for years, but if I found I would have to figure out how to work it all over. It never became second nature to me.
                              Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment