No announcement yet.

Slide Rules - have you EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm pretty sure I had one of the circular ones, never used it though, or even learned how to.

Comment

At work we have what appears to be a circular one, but made by hand out of cardstock. I see it in the area where lenses are cut out for their frames, but I have no idea what it's used for.
      Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Have you ever actually used a slide rule?

A) Just in class to learn how?
        2) In class as part of doing actual math?
        C) In business, engineering, or whatever for work?

For me, only A)
        Both A and 2 -- although the next week it was announced we could use a calculator if we had one (this was back when they cost nearly $100 each).

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I started secondary school using a slide rule but finished with and electronic calculator. I still have the slide rule somewhere. The virtual one is terrific. While on about mathematics stuff, this little thing came up recently:

You probably didn’t want to know this but ‘Pythagoras’ is about right circular cones which, you notice, are three dimensional objects while ‘Pythagoras’ is commonly taught in two dimensions (right triangles). The slope length [a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2+ …… ]^0.5 is the straight distance from the start of the first line to the end of the last line provided each successive cone is centred so that its height is equal to and located along the previous cone’s slope. Each line added must be a radius of the cone base. The often-calculated three-dimensional slope length where each line is orthogonal to the others, as in the sides of a cuboid, is a special case of the general rule – which is that the next line is orthogonal to the previously calculated hypotenuse.

For example, if you keep adding lines of length 1 according to the rule, you get start to finish lengths of (2)^0.5, (3)^0.5, (4)^0.5 and so on, for any three dimensional ‘chain’ so constructed.

I challenge readers to take something similarly straightforward and make it as complicated.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
            At work we have what appears to be a circular one, but made by hand out of cardstock. I see it in the area where lenses are cut out for their frames, but I have no idea what it's used for.
            A lot of those things are for shipping costs, considering weights, distance, etc or calculating some other math. When I worked for the gas compression company, there was a round one like that for calculating what size cylinders should be on gas compressors considering a number of variables such as throughput, pressure, temperature, etc.

Here's one to calculate photographic exposure...

round calculator.jpg
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              A lot of those things are for shipping costs, considering weights, distance, etc or calculating some other math. When I worked for the gas compression company, there was a round one like that for calculating what size cylinders should be on gas compressors considering a number of variables such as throughput, pressure, temperature, etc.

Here's one to calculate photographic exposure...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27957[/ATTACH]
              Ours is a lot more complicated than that one. The numbers or letters or whatever are so tiny, I can't make them out clearly just walking by, even with my glasses on. There is a lot of math involved in optics so I figured it has something to do with that, I just don't know what exactly this is used for that the computer it belongs next to can't do.
              Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Comment

Have you seen mossy's slide rule?

It is how she calculates ballistic trajectories after she pins something.

Comment

Originally posted by QuantaFille View Post
                  Ours is a lot more complicated than that one. The numbers or letters or whatever are so tiny, I can't make them out clearly just walking by, even with my glasses on. There is a lot of math involved in optics so I figured it has something to do with that, I just don't know what exactly this is used for that the computer it belongs next to can't do.
                  So, they put tiny numbers on that thing so you'll need glasses to read it!!!
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

They still make wrist watches with circular slide rules. I own one and learned how to use it. Using it to figure a quick square root, division or multiplication is likely faster than pulling out your phone to use its calculator.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                      They still make wrist watches with circular slide rules. I own one and learned how to use it. Using it to figure a quick square root, division or multiplication is likely faster than pulling out your phone to use its calculator.

But does it tell time?

Comment