Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Credit Unions

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by ke7ejx View Post
    I've belonged to a Credit Union for nearly 10 years and I have had less trouble with them than I have banks. I'm a very happy CCU member!
    Credit Unions, across the board, are much more "member friendly" and "customer service" oriented, I think.
    Every problem is the result of a previous solution.

2. Amen QuantaFille amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I've had an account at the local credit union since I was 18.

When I moved out of state to go to trade school, I opened an account with Chase because they had branches where I was moving to. When they started charging me fees because my paychecks were too small, I closed my account. They did other scummy things too, for instance if my account was overdrawn they would clear the day's transactions starting with the one with the highest dollar amount instead of in chronological order, so that the first transaction would put me in the red instead of the last. That way, they could charge me the insufficient funds fee for as many transactions as I had that day, rather than once for the last one.
    I have an account at the credit union local to my school, because only they handle student loans for that school. The loan is paid off now and I again live where I did before I went to school, but I still have a credit card through them that I use all the time and don't plan on closing any time soon. I get good rewards points for using it, so I use it for gas and groceries and the like. Then I pay it off before it's due so I don't pay interest.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    I've had an account at the local credit union since I was 18.

When I moved out of state to go to trade school, I opened an account with Chase because they had branches where I was moving to. When they started charging me fees because my paychecks were too small, I closed my account. They did other scummy things too, for instance if my account was overdrawn they would clear the day's transactions starting with the one with the highest dollar amount instead of in chronological order, so that the first transaction would put me in the red instead of the last. That way, they could charge me the insufficient funds fee for as many transactions as I had that day, rather than once for the last one.
    I have an account at the credit union local to my school, because only they handle student loans for that school. The loan is paid off now and I again live where I did before I went to school, but I still have a credit card through them that I use all the time and don't plan on closing any time soon. I get good rewards points for using it, so I use it for gas and groceries and the like. Then I pay it off before it's due so I don't pay interest.
    Yeah I left my last bank because they did the same thing on overdrafts. I am pretty careful with my money but occasionally I have overdrawn. Usually right before a payday. But my last bank would run the deposits last so they could charge me overdraft if I had a check and a deposit on the same day. So I would actually NOT be overdrawn by the time the deposit was posted. Say I had a $20 check and $10 in the bank. I knew I needed more so I put in a deposit from savings for $50. They would cash the $20 check, say I was overdrawn, charge me $30 overdraft fee, then deposit the $50, leaving me back at $10 in the bank. I went in, chewed them out, got them to reverse the charge (they made it sound like they were doing me a favor!) and then the next day I closed the account. My current bank (5/3) has never charged me an overdraft. And no monthly fees, and no per check charges either.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yeah I left my last bank because they did the same thing on overdrafts. I am pretty careful with my money but occasionally I have overdrawn. Usually right before a payday. But my last bank would run the deposits last so they could charge me overdraft if I had a check and a deposit on the same day. So I would actually NOT be overdrawn by the time the deposit was posted. Say I had a $20 check and $10 in the bank. I knew I needed more so I put in a deposit from savings for $50. They would cash the $20 check, say I was overdrawn, charge me $30 overdraft fee, then deposit the $50, leaving me back at $10 in the bank. I went in, chewed them out, got them to reverse the charge (they made it sound like they were doing me a favor!) and then the next day I closed the account. My current bank (5/3) has never charged me an overdraft. And no monthly fees, and no per check charges either.
    A lot of banks are much more lenient if you do direct deposit. My bank - Chase - has all kinds of perks for me and no fees for pretty much anything, and free wire transfers (not that I ever do that) and AIR MILES..... because I keep a minimum balance in savings.... So I keep JUST BARELY their required minimum balance in savings, and keep all my other savings in the Credit Union.

The Credit Unions, however, are, pretty much by definition, regional. If you travel a lot, you're not likely to find a branch outside your local area. So, I use both - a "big bank" and a "community" credit union.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    In Germany, they named their banks after me.

7. Amen Goulette amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    In Germany, they named their banks after me.

The second part?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The second part?
    Must be a commentary.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    The Credit Unions, however, are, pretty much by definition, regional. If you travel a lot, you're not likely to find a branch outside your local area. So, I use both - a "big bank" and a "community" credit union.
    The nice thing about credit unions though, is that they have a cooperative thing where you can do business at one at the branch of another. When I first got my student loan, I went into a local branch to make interest payments. Then when I moved back home and started using my old credit union again, I went into one of their branches to make payments. Now it's all online, and I can actually transfer money between my accounts at the two credit unions. I have some bills that are paid from one account and some that are paid through the other, depending on whether the payee accepts credit card payments and which credit union's bill pay app is easier to use, etc.

Had I known about shared branches when I moved away to go to school, I would never have opened my account with Chase. They charged me all kinds of fees because minimum direct deposit amounts, minimum balances etc. just were not realistic for me at the time.
    Curiosity never hurt anyone. It was stupidity that killed the cat.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaFille View Post
    The nice thing about credit unions though, is that they have a cooperative thing where you can do business at one at the branch of another. When I first got my student loan, I went into a local branch to make interest payments. Then when I moved back home and started using my old credit union again, I went into one of their branches to make payments. Now it's all online, and I can actually transfer money between my accounts at the two credit unions. I have some bills that are paid from one account and some that are paid through the other, depending on whether the payee accepts credit card payments and which credit union's bill pay app is easier to use, etc.

Had I known about shared branches when I moved away to go to school, I would never have opened my account with Chase. They charged me all kinds of fees because minimum direct deposit amounts, minimum balances etc. just were not realistic for me at the time.
    Yeah, Chase is EBOL -- they're all about PROFITS.

Theologyweb's Official Grandfather
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    My Credit Union, Alaska USA Federal Credit Union, has a branch office in my home town, Barstow, California.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?