Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Al Mohler: God's judgement is upon the Southern Baptist Convention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    That's interesting. What gave me this thought was when the incoming SBC president claimed that they have higher numbers of black membership than all the mainline denominations (which tend to make a bigger deal about racial issues). I come from a mainline background, and I think the only black pastor at the several such churches I remember was an existing pastor who moved here from Africa. It bothers me since I think churches should look like a cross section of society. In his Bible book, James assumes that a church will have both rich and poor members worshipping side by side, for example.
    What's sad, though, is "getting black people". When I was in another Church, we'd have a black couple visit, they would be treated very well, even commenting on how much they were loved, but "there aren't any black people here". It was the most frustrating thing - I'd say, "well YOU are here....", but sooner or later, they'd drift away. That seems to be changing a lot lately, cause we have a good variety of people. And the "Church I bought" started off as an African-American congregation, then drew some mixed-race couples, then before you knew it, they're more "multi-cultural" than they are "black", with a black pastor.

I have two black couples who are Nigerian (been in the states for quite a while, but came here from Nigeria). I love them to death, because their culture has EXTREME respect for the office of pastor.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      What's sad, though, is "getting black people". When I was in another Church, we'd have a black couple visit, they would be treated very well, even commenting on how much they were loved, but "there aren't any black people here". It was the most frustrating thing - I'd say, "well YOU are here....", but sooner or later, they'd drift away. That seems to be changing a lot lately, cause we have a good variety of people. And the "Church I bought" started off as an African-American congregation, then drew some mixed-race couples, then before you knew it, they're more "multi-cultural" than they are "black", with a black pastor.

I have two black couples who are Nigerian (been in the states for quite a while, but came here from Nigeria). I love them to death, because their culture has EXTREME respect for the office of pastor.
      That is sad, but I get it. I admit I probably wouldn't feel comfortable in a church where I was the only white person (maybe this makes me a bad Christian but I'm just being honest).

The church I grew up in (which I left because the pastors were endorsing transgenderism and homosexuality) was getting a fairly sizable minority population around the time I left. I think the key there was they were getting a lot of mixed race couples (that presumably weren't going to go to an all black church), and that built up enough of a base of people so that new members weren't "the only one".
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That is sad, but I get it. I admit I probably wouldn't feel comfortable in a church where I was the only white person (maybe this makes me a bad Christian but I'm just being honest).

The church I grew up in (which I left because the pastors were endorsing transgenderism and homosexuality) was getting a fairly sizable minority population around the time I left. I think the key there was they were getting a lot of mixed race couples (that presumably weren't going to go to an all black church), and that built up enough of a base of people so that new members weren't "the only one".
        That seems to be a bridge, yes.

Quick story....

Black churches are really big on "building dedications" - when they have a new sanctuary, it's full blown "all day preachin and dinner on the grounds".

They invited my youth group to come sing (35 white kids) and our kids sat in the middle section, second couple rows from the front.

When it was time for them to sing, the pastor, a good friend of mine, stood up and, in a purposely 'very negro' manner, said, "now we're going to have a youth choir from the First Baptist Church... " (and he put his hand up to his head like a "lookout", searching all corners of the sanctuary, and continued) "would the young people from First Baptist please raise their hands so I can see where you are?" (I was busting a gut inside)

I looked down the row, and all these kids had their hands up, waving, like "we're RIGHT here!" He feigned surprise, and said "OH, there they are RIGHT here!".

He was a lot of fun.

And, yeah, we were pretty much the only "white bread" in the house.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Since things are a bit slow...

this same pastor (he was 5 foot 20 and about 300 lbs - GREAT big guy) invited me to preach at that same service, and I was just a kid - 19 or 20, probably.

He told me "now, if you preach less than an hour, they feel cheated". It didn't take long to figure out if you say something they like, they shout it back at you, you repeat it, and it's easy to turn a 25 minute sermon into an hour.

ANYWAY, I was just getting into my sermon when a woman stood up and started 'dancing in the spirit' and speaking in tongues. I had never seen anything like it (this was way back before (or at the beginning of) the tongues movement)) It kinda startled me, and I just stood there staring. Pastor Brown was sitting on a bench behind and beside me, and all of a sudden he was standing next to me, gently nudging me aside, and he pointed and nodded to some of his ushers*... They took the lady and gently guided her to the back of the auditorium, her still dancing and speaking in tongues, and led her out of the room.

Pastor Brown then 'positioned' me back in the pulpit, and said something that, to me, was absolutely profound.... he said "The Holy Spirit Don't NEVER interrupt Himself... go back to Preachin, brother"

I have to admit I was still a bit startled, and didn't even know where I was. He put his finger down on my Bible right where I stopped, and said, "you were right here!" He gave me a big hug, and too his seat, and I commenced to preachin'.

*later found out these were his "armor bearers".

Comment

That's interesting. What gave me this thought was when the incoming SBC president claimed that they have higher numbers of black membership than all the mainline denominations (which tend to make a bigger deal about racial issues). I come from a mainline background, and I think the only black pastor at the several such churches I remember was an existing pastor who moved here from Africa. It bothers me since I think churches should look like a cross section of society. In his Bible book, James assumes that a church will have both rich and poor members worshipping side by side, for example.
            There's little more homogenous than an Orthodox church. In the same general locale you'll have a Greek church, a Russian church, a Romanian church, an Antiochian (Arab) church.... They all use more or less the same liturgy, and have identical beliefs, but meet separately because they want to be in *their* culture. Most of them will even acknowledge that it's highly irregular, and there should be an American Orthodoxy, but no one wants to give up their own cultural identity. The Antiochian church I attended when I visited Sparko actually had a decent mixture of different cultures, including some Ethiopians; they're the most welcoming for converts. The Greeks tend (not all of them) to be like, "Why are you here? You're not Greek."
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              The Greeks tend (not all of them) to be like, "Why are you here? You're not Greek."
              That's perhaps the worst possible ethnicity to say that given what Paul wrote.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Basically. He doubled down last month on an absolute prohibition on divorce in the case of abuse, which didn't go over very well. http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2018/...n-to-step-down
                If that is Scriptural, it is. Libs can scream all they like!

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                Something about the way Mohler presents this troubles me, and I can't figure out why. It's like he's trying too hard to distance himself from #MeToo, or trying to hard to be sure he condemns this....

I really don't get that the whole of the SBC is under the judgment of God because of Patterson's moral failure, or even the really poor manner in which this appears to have been handled. I personally know both Mohler and Patterson. This doesn't sound like Mohler at all
                Sounds to demi he doesn't want to be thrown under bus too.
                Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

So, here is Albert Mohler giving the annual report on Southern Seminary at the annual meeting last week, boasting (and rightfully so) about how God is blessing Southern Seminary, and he's playing nice with the messengers, in spite of his doom and gloom "God is judging...."

And, though, as I said, I was unable to attend this year, all reports are that it was a very united and harmonious annual meeting.

Comment