Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

15 wounded in bomb blast at restaurant in Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 wounded in bomb blast at restaurant in Canada

At least 15 people were hurt around 10:30 p.m. local time when an improvised explosive device was detonated at Bombay Bhel Indian, according to authorities in Mississauga, a city immediately southwest of Toronto.

The three severely injured individuals were taken to a trauma center in Toronto, police said.

Peel Regional Police said they're still currently looking for two male suspects who fled the scene.

The investigation is ongoing and, at this time, the attack is not being treated as terrorism or a hate crime, police said.

Thankfully, no one was killed. How is this not terrorism?

link
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    At least 15 people were hurt around 10:30 p.m. local time when an improvised explosive device was detonated at Bombay Bhel Indian, according to authorities in Mississauga, a city immediately southwest of Toronto.

The three severely injured individuals were taken to a trauma center in Toronto, police said.

Peel Regional Police said they're still currently looking for two male suspects who fled the scene.

The investigation is ongoing and, at this time, the attack is not being treated as terrorism or a hate crime, police said.

link
    Maybe because many liberals appear to view "hate crimes" as being even worse than terrorism they're leaving the door open.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

link
      Because Canadians are too politically correct - polite - to call them terrorists.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We had an explosion in my city. It may have been by the ex-boyfriend and business partner of the woman who died.
        (Maybe the guy couldn't pass the psych test to get a gun?)

Comment

How is this not terrorism?
          Personal vendetta, insurance fraud, gang war, pyromania, ...?
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
          MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Personal vendetta, insurance fraud, gang war, pyromania, ...?
            The first is not entirely impossible, though the public location makes that relatively unlikely.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Yeah this doesn't happen in Canada too often. I'll have to follow the story. I'm still waiting to hear about the motive of the guy who drove his car along the sidewalk in Toronto.

Comment

link
                I think for 'terrorism' it has to be done for political reasons. Maybe they don't think that was the motive?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  I think for 'terrorism' it has to be done for political reasons. Maybe they don't think that was the motive?
                  The suspects are still at large, there's almost no way of knowing until they are caught.

Comment

Originally posted by Goulette View Post
                    The suspects are still at large, there's almost no way of knowing until they are caught.
                    which is why they probably aren't claiming it is terrorism yet.

Comment

I think our definition of terrorism is coloured by the media to mean Islamic terrorism.

I think it's terrorism when somebody tows your car, but that's me.

Regardless of who did this, and for whatever reason, it is still terrorism, as it instills fear in the hearts of the populace.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                        I think our definition of terrorism is coloured by the media to mean Islamic terrorism.

I think it's terrorism when somebody tows your car, but that's me.

Regardless of who did this, and for whatever reason, it is still terrorism, as it instills fear in the hearts of the populace.
                        I agree- terrorism has become something of a loaded term over the last few years with all sorts of connotations. Perhaps when they catch the people who did it they may then amend it and confirm terrorism- I much prefer it when the police wait for confirmation before saying anything.

For what it's worth I do agree with calling it terrorism under the definition of your final paragraph.

Comment

If you expand the word terrorism to mean any violent crime that worries the public, it's diluted beyond useful meaning.

It is appropriate not to declare this terrorism if the motive is completely unknown.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            If you expand the word terrorism to mean any violent crime that worries the public, it's diluted beyond useful meaning.

It is appropriate not to declare this terrorism if the motive is completely unknown.
                            I'm not saying that it must be declared terrorism; it's just that, in the overwhelming majority of cases, setting off a bomb in a public place is terrorism. Private feuds are usually prosecuted in private.

sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying that it must be declared terrorism; it's just that, in the overwhelming majority of cases, setting off a bomb in a public place is terrorism.
                              Or insurance fraud.

But most likely terrorism.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment