Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ireland legalizes the killing of the unborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland legalizes the killing of the unborn

By roughly a two-to-one margin Ireland has repealed their constitutional ban on abortion

For a barely contained ecstatic pro-abortion reaction:

Source: Ireland ends abortion ban as 'quiet revolution' transforms country

Ireland’s prime minister on Saturday hailed the culmination of “a quiet revolution” in what was once one of Europe’s most socially conservative countries after a landslide referendum vote to liberalize highly restrictive laws on abortion.

Voters in the once deeply Catholic nation backed the change by two-to-one, a far higher margin than any opinion poll in the run up to the vote had predicted, and allows the government to bring in legislation by the end of the year.

“It’s incredible. For all the years and years and years we’ve been trying to look after women and not been able to look after women, this means everything,” said Mary Higgins, obstetrician and Together For Yes campaigner.

For decades, the law forced over 3,000 women to travel to Britain each year for terminations and “Yes” campaigners argued that with others now ordering pills illegally online, abortion was already a reality in Ireland.

The campaign was defined by women publicly sharing their painful experiences of leaving the country for procedures, a key reason why all but one of Ireland’s 40 constituencies voted “Yes”.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

I heard one of the principle supporters of the move, Taoiseach (which is what the Irish call their Prime Minister) Leo Varadkar, on the radio this afternoon giving a lot of credit to the recent massive influx of immigrants from the EU for the results (perhaps that was part of his "quiet revolution" that he keeps mentioning). Still, given the numbers, it appears that a good number of the native born Irish also favored the change. I'd love to see a breakdown of this vote.

In any case, I would be surprised if Ireland, which had the West's strictest controls, will suddenly be permitting things like abortion on demand and partial birth abortions. They will likely liberalize the law but won't toss out restricting to one degree or another.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    In any case, I would be surprised if Ireland, which had the West's strictest controls, will suddenly be permitting things like abortion on demand and partial birth abortions. They will likely liberalize the law but won't toss out restricting to one degree or another.
    The key word, I think, is "suddenly".
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I cannot help but wonder why people are hailing this as the ideal. Its not like Britain was a terrible inconvenience in the first place. Also women probably had to think twice about abortion, and I HIGHLY doubt the number was 3,000 per year there are only 4.7 million people in Ireland so 3,000 seems grossly suspect like that millions of illegal abortions number
      A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
      George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
        I cannot help but wonder why people are hailing this as the ideal. Its not like Britain was a terrible inconvenience in the first place. Also women probably had to think twice about abortion, and I HIGHLY doubt the number was 3,000 per year there are only 4.7 million people in Ireland so 3,000 seems grossly suspect like that millions of illegal abortions number
        Playing extremely fast and loose with the facts is hardly out of the question. As one of the founders of National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL), Dr. Bernard Nathanson would later confess, they simply made up the numbers they published and the media regurgitated them without question.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The media was in repeal's pocket the entire time. Some have argued that Google/Facebook slanted towards repeal as well, which would be far from a surprise.

Comment

I recently donated money to a crisis pregnancy center. I can't change the past but perhaps I can do change through example. I believe a case for life can be made.
            sigpic

Comment

I associate with a group of pro-life activists on Facebook. One of them who lives in Ireland said one of the big reasons this passed was people perceived that the Catholic Church was even against abortion to save the life of the mother. I hadn't heard anything else about this in the media, though.
              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I despise the lie that murdering the unborn is done for women's health. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.
                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  I despise the lie that murdering the unborn is done for women's health. It literally makes me sick to my stomach.
                  The unborn cannot be murdered. Only the most inhuman and disgusting pro-birth zealot would wish to see a woman hanged because she had an abortion. Unless you are that zealot you may not call abortion murder. It is not murder and the fertilised ovum is not sacred. Human beings never hesitate to kill life that is a threat and women are entitled to decide whether they will or will not incubate the foetus because the very fact of that incubation is a threat to the woman, which threat is nobody else’s business to access.
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                    The unborn cannot be murdered. Only the most inhuman and disgusting pro-birth zealot would wish to see a woman hanged because she had an abortion. Unless you are that zealot you may not call abortion murder.
                    You've smuggled in the assumption that capital punishment is required for all murders (which as an extreme liberal I assume you'd disagree with).
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                      The unborn cannot be murdered.
                      The victims are completely innocent, and they get dead at the hands of others. Call it what you will.

Only the most inhuman and disgusting pro-birth zealot would wish to see a woman hanged because she had an abortion.
                      A) Nobody has been hanged in the US since 1996
                      2) There are various degrees of murder, not all of which require the death penalty
                      3) There are often extenuating circumstances that are considered in actual prosecutions of murder
                      D) Technically, it's not the woman who does the murder

Unless you are that zealot ...
                      Let's just ignore the rest of the insane rant by a proponent for the murder of small children.

Next?

ETA: Do I have my extreme leftist wackos mixed up?
                      Last edited by Cow Poke; 05-28-2018, 07:14 PM.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        D) Technically, it's not the woman who does the murder
                        To be fair, a guy was executed in Texas in February for hiring a hit man.

Edit: Nearly executed, turns out... they reprieved him at the last minute.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          To be fair, a guy was executed in Texas in February for hiring a hit man.

Edit: Nearly executed, turns out... they reprieved him at the last minute.
                          Sure, but I don't know any conservatives who want to prosecute 'the woman' for 'hiring a hit man". That comparison is made, but I've never heard of anybody being that extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                            Sure, but I don't know any conservatives who want to prosecute 'the woman' for 'hiring a hit man". That comparison is made, but I've never heard of anybody being that extreme.
                            Well, you said that it wasn't an exact comparison because the woman isn't the one actually killing, but I'm just showing that in the US at least, the death penalty is still given out for people who direct somebody to kill somebody else.

I honestly struggle with the issue of how to deal with this. It does seem inconsistent not to want to prosecute people if we think abortion is really murder.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              I honestly struggle with the issue of how to deal with this. It does seem inconsistent not to want to prosecute people if we think abortion is really murder.
                              But, as much as we don't like it, abortion is legal. And even if it wasn't, many of these women find themselves in a desperate situation and get sucked into a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I work a lot with our local pregnancy center, and hear some pretty wild stories. I, personally, have never met a woman who carelessly got pregnant with a notion "if I get pregnant, I'll just get an abortion". But, then again, they wouldn't be coming to our pregnancy center if they were just determined to get an abortion without thinking it through.

Comment