Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Ireland legalizes the killing of the unborn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    It's actually a very complicated issue, as noted in this NYTimes article.

Welfare has often been accused of encouraging poor unwed mothers to have more babies because they get additional funds for additional children.
    Some states attempt to limit that, to discourage additional children born into poverty families.
    It is suspected that this would increase the abortion rate, as pregnancies would still occur, but no additional funding would be available.

So, it's complicated.
    It looks complicated. That in itself might have an effect if funding was uncertain.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• Just to bury Dimbulb and Ignorant Roy a little deeper using a source that Dimbulb first appealed to...

Source: Quora.com

The difference between a human zygote and a human skin cell is a biological (i..e scientific) one, regardless of any pro-life or pro-choice (i.e., political or philosophical) preferences.

Biologically, a zygote is the first stage of the life cycle of a human organism. It possesses DNA of an organism independent of its mother, created from genetic material from two different organisms (sperm and egg, fertilized). It is the beginning point for all future development of that individual human organism. No human beings exists on this planet that was not first at one point in their life-span, a zygote.

Compare to a skin cell, which is simply a type of cell belonging to an existing organism, of a genetic identity corresponding to that organism, which will not develop any further as an independent organism. No human being on this planet was ever solely a skin cell at any point in their life-span.

It is important to consider, biologically, that there is a difference between a cell, a group of cells, an organ, and an organism. All organisms are comprised of cells, groups of cells, and organs, but not all cells, groups of cells, or organs are by themselves individual organisms.

----------

To directly answer the question, the zygote is a separate organism. Given nothing except nature proceeding on its course, within a few months a child will be born. The skin cell following normal course of events will remain a skill cell until it dies.

The difference is pretty obvious and it shouldn’t take someone being pro-life to see it.

----------

A zygote already is a genetically distinct, totipotent, individual organism of the human species—that’s not debatable, it’s basic biology.

A skin cell is none of those things. It is not genetically distinct, it is not totipotent, and it does not meet the biological criteria of an individual organism.

----------

A skin cell is not a complete human being. A “zygote”/“embryo”/“fetus” is.

https://www.quora.com/According-to-p...uman-skin-cell

© Copyright Original Source

Seriously, you guys are coming across as utter morons for even disputing this.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Roy View Post
        It looks complicated. That in itself might have an effect if funding was uncertain.
        It's a classic case of the law of unintended consequences - if you offer some help to get somebody out of an immediate and temporary bind, and they discover they can get more money by intensifying the problem... plus, our government is notorious for assuming that "if we do X", the affect will be "Y", when the average person can easily game the system.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Seriously, you guys are coming across as utter morons for even disputing this.
          So either (i) we're utter morons, and/or (ii) you don't understand what we're saying. Given the biological incompetence of your claims, your inability with logic and your recent inability to understand what you are yourself saying, let alone what anyone else is, I'm sufficiently confident that anyone whose opinion matters (and most whose doesn't) will correctly conclude (ii).
          Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

It's a classic case of the law of unintended consequences - if you offer some help to get somebody out of an immediate and temporary bind, and they discover they can get more money by intensifying the problem... plus, our government is notorious for assuming that "if we do X", the affect will be "Y", when the average person can easily game the system.
            Yeah - and it's exacerbated by some people's greed and uncaringness. We've had occasional problems in the UK with people trying to claim child benefit for children who have left home/died/never existed/been passed around multiple 'parents'.

Comment

Yeah - and it's exacerbated by some people's greed and uncaringness. We've had occasional problems in the UK with people trying to claim child benefit for children who have left home/died/never existed/been passed around multiple 'parents'.
              Yes sir, and it's often portrayed as a 'minorities' problem, but if I remember correctly, it's pretty much an "equal opportunity abuse" situation.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No.
                Yeah you are and you’re too full of your own pride to just admit you were wrong and made a bad argument. It’s pretty typical for you though, but another day and another bad, anti science, argument from the faithful abortion supporters. Nothing new there.
                "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Thing is, I didn't actually get any details wrong. I used the term "life", which scientifically speaking has a fairly well-defined meaning and is used interchangeably with the terms "life-form" and "organism". It's also a fact that there is a clear distinction between something being "alive" and meeting the scientific definition of "life". Your skin cells are alive, at least in their early stage, but they are not life since they do not have the attributes that science uses to describe life (they don't organize, adapt, self-sustain, metabolize, respond to stimuli, etc.). A skin cell is part of an organism, but it is not an organism in and of itself.
                  I just assume that you did get a detail wrong, but it doesn’t matter because it’s just Roy picking nits without addressing the actual argument made.

Dimbulb claims to have a science degree, so either he knows this and is trying to score rhetorical points by playing dumb, or his degree is only suitable for lining the bottom of a bird cage.
                  His degree is in psychology, which means it’s irrelevant to this debate.
                  "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
                    I just assume that you did get a detail wrong, but it doesn’t matter because it’s just Roy picking nits without addressing the actual argument made.

His degree is in psychology, which means it’s irrelevant to this debate.
                    His thesis is certainly not in the field of psychology - but it's not in biology either.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      His thesis is certainly not in the field of psychology - but it's not in biology either.
                      I have no idea what field starlight studied, but I do know he has more than one degree. Not that it matters, since this is high-school material.

Comment

I have no idea what field starlight studied, but I do know he has more than one degree.
                        You know that he SAYS he has more than one degree.

Comment

... Not that it matters, since this is high-school material.
                          Exactly right. The biological difference between a self-contained and self-directing organism and a simple specialized part of that organism is basic Bio 101.
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

You know that he SAYS he has more than one degree.
                            Hmmm... true. I believe him though.

Comment

It's actually a very complicated issue, as noted in this NYTimes article.

Welfare has often been accused of encouraging poor unwed mothers to have more babies because they get additional funds for additional children.
                              Some states attempt to limit that, to discourage additional children born into poverty families.
                              It is suspected that this would increase the abortion rate, as pregnancies would still occur, but no additional funding would be available.

So, it's complicated.
                              Where's the NYTimes article? I just see something from NCSL.
                              Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

• Originally posted by stfoskey15 View Post
                                Where's the NYTimes article? I just see something from NCSL.
                                DRAT, I'll find it when I get back from court.

Comment