Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Revelation 2: who is being spoken of in this verse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revelation 2: who is being spoken of in this verse?

Revelation 2:

To the angel of the church in Ephesus write:

These are the words of him who holds the seven stars in his right hand and walks among the seven golden lampstands. 2 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false.

Who are the false apostles? Why are they false apostles?

Thanks.

Apostles were people with a direct connection to the earthly ministry of Jesus, a position highly valued in the early church. Making a false claim to be an apostle seems to be in view here. What the "test" would have been, I have no idea.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Apostles were people with a direct connection to the earthly ministry of Jesus, a position highly valued in the early church. Making a false claim to be an apostle seems to be in view here. What the "test" would have been, I have no idea.
      Likely something like how Paul commended the Bereans.

Acts 17:11 [Full Chapter]
      Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Christian3, as for who they were, I would think a likely candidate would be some of the early Gnostics.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
        Likely something like how Paul commended the Bereans.

Acts 17:11 [Full Chapter]
        Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

Christian3, as for who they were, I would think a likely candidate would be some of the early Gnostics.
        That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, how can you read the Scriptures to determine if somebody was telling the truth about personally knowing Jesus?
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
          That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, how can you read the Scriptures to determine if somebody was telling the truth about personally knowing Jesus?
          I said something like it, not exactly the same thing. However, you would be able to check their message against those who were already known and accepted. At the time of writing they would have been able to ask those who knew the apostles, or knew about them more directly.

Comment

The Apostle Paul did warn against false apostles in his second letter to the Corinthian church (2 Corinthians 11:3-5 . . . ).

Also as a side note regarding,
            .. . more noble character than those in Thessalonica, . . .
            the Apostle did in his first letter to the Thessalonica church commend them (1 Thessalonians 2:13).

Also bear in mind that the writers of earlier NT writings would have also been known to that church those writings were first given to before being copied and passed around.
            Last edited by 37818; 05-28-2018, 09:23 AM.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment