Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

The Death Of Free Speech In England...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    LOL. I would consider lack of safety to be a legitimate reason to consider not living in the USA, but it's not a concern that applies to England.

Only if you set up a soapbox on the street and read your TWeb posts through a bullhorn.
    Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    London is more dangerous than New York City by a significant margin.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...stats-suggest/
    In response to both of you, I spent a large part of my childhood growing up in Durham, North Carolina, a city with crime rates significantly above the U.S. national average. If this website is correct, the robbery rates in Durham are similar to that of London, and the murder rate in Durham is many times that of London. Back when I was in sixth grade, my mom's house and car got broken into while we were away. The person stole a lawn mower and chainsaw, (I think) and broke a car window but didn't take anything. In twelfth grade, my dad's house (in a different town) got broken into and his laptop was stolen. The first incident was likely done by someone who had done yard work on the property a few years prior and later had issues with drugs. I have never been a victim of any sort of violent crime. There are parts of Durham where I'd avoid walking around alone at night, but at least 75% of it is fine. And London's burglary rate is below that of Durham. The violent crime rate seems surprisingly high in London, but they could be counting things differently; I'm not quite sure.

But overall, hundreds of millions of people live in the U.S. and almost ten million in London, and neither set contains a majority of people who are plagued by crime. It's not like they're South Africa or Colombia or anything like that.
    Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment