Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Religious Holidays in the Workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    This is what I think Revelation 2:20 is referring to, and why I don't think it contradicts Paul's instructions about meat sacrificed to idols. I'm pretty sure Paul wasn't referring to actual attendance of the feasts.
    I'm pretty sure he was. There was enormous pressure to attend.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      I'm pretty sure he was. There was enormous pressure to attend.
      Gordon Fee argues that he was referring to public settings where there was plausible deniability as to whether the meat had originally been sacrificed at the market. Otherwise, I don't see how to avoid a contradiction with Revelation.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Gordon Fee argues that he was referring to public settings where there was plausible deniability as to whether the meat had originally been sacrificed at the market. Otherwise, I don't see how to avoid a contradiction with Revelation.
        How is that a contradiction? Paul condemns two distinct actions in his epistles; attending pagan festivals, and eating meat sacrificed to idols (which would have occurred at pagan festivals, but that's not the only place meat sacrificed to idols would have been available).
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          How is that a contradiction? Paul condemns two distinct actions in his epistles; attending pagan festivals, and eating meat sacrificed to idols (which would have occurred at pagan festivals, but that's not the only place meat sacrificed to idols would have been available).
          1 Corinthians 8:8 seems to tentatively endorse eating meat sacrificed to idol if no weaker Christian would stumble whereas a surface reading of Revelation 2:20 seems to forbid it outright. This has been one I've wondered about for most of my Christian walk as I assume there is some context lost in translation.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

1 Corinthians 8:8 seems to tentatively endorse eating meat sacrificed to idol if no weaker Christian would stumble whereas a surface reading of Revelation 2:20 seems to forbid it outright. This has been one I've wondered about for most of my Christian walk as I assume there is some context lost in translation.
            If you read 1 Cor. 8:8 in context, it most certainly does not. I have no idea what context you think is lost in translation. Paul pretty clearly says not to eat meat sacrificed to idols both here and later in the same book in 1 Cor. 10. You seem to be tripping over Paul's reasoning on why it should not be done, which is missing from Rev. 2 (and Acts 15).

sigpic

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X