Announcement

Collapse

Comparative Religions 101 Guidelines

Welcome to Comp Religions, this is where the sights and sounds of the many world religions come together in a big World's Fair type atmosphere, without those delicious funnel cakes.

World Religions is a theist only type place, but that does not exclude certain religionists who practice non-theistic faiths ala Buddhism. If you are not sure, ask a moderator.

This is not a place where we argue the existence / non-existence of God.

And as usual, the forum rules apply.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Celebrating Religious Holidays in the Workplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
    is it wrong to go for the free food?
    It's never wrong to go for the free food.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think if it actually turned into a religious observance, that'd be different, but if it's a bunch of people having some food and they invite me...
    Considering most Thanksgiving get-togethers, I'd be more afraid it would turn to politics.

Comment

Originally posted by lao tzu View Post
      It's never wrong to go for the free food.

Considering most Thanksgiving get-togethers, I'd be more afraid it would turn to politics.
      I was seriously going to ask if they had cookies. Or, at least, bacon!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
        Workplace Christmas and Thanksgiving potlucks are not all that uncommon.
        Thanksgiving is not a Christian holiday, per se - and "Christmas" is usually made into a generic "holiday."
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Thanksgiving is not a Christian holiday, per se - and "Christmas" is usually made into a generic "holiday."
          My understanding (which isn't much) of Diwali is that it's probably about as secular as Christmas is in the US. Ramadan is obviously different.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I was seriously going to ask if they had cookies. Or, at least, bacon!
            Oh bacon. That would rule out Ramadan and Hanukkah [which till just now was not even mentioned].
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
              Oh bacon. That would rule out Ramadan and Hanukkah [which till just now was not even mentioned].
              My Jewish executive admin loved bacon. And Hanukkah.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I wouldn't take any issue with Hanukkah at all anyway or any of the other High Holy days.
                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have a pretty good nose for somebody just sharing their culture - "hey, here are some foods we grew up with" - and somebody trying to get me involved in their religion. I really have no idea where you're going with this.
                  Someone could say the following:

"You don't have to believe in the Hindu religion in order to celebrate it."
                  "It's just celebrating cultural diversity."

My response to that is this: Celebrating Diwali is a celebration of Hinduism. It would not make sense to celebrate a religion that you don't agree with.
                  If someone says that it is just a meal with no worship service, I would say that it is still a celebration of Hinduism.

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post

My response to that is this: Celebrating Diwali is a celebration of Hinduism. It would not make sense to celebrate a religion that you don't agree with.
                    If someone says that it is just a meal with no worship service, I would say that it is still a celebration of Hinduism.

What do you think?
                    I've never had anything near close to that happen, and I have no interest in anybody else's religious festivities.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornet View Post

What do you think?
                      Biblically, we shouldn't be attending pagan feasts - not because they mean anything, but because of how it looks.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Biblically, we shouldn't be attending pagan feasts - not because they mean anything, but because of how it looks.
                        Yeah, if it's just some people sharing food, that's one thing. But if there's even an appearance that it's a religious observance, I'm not that hungry.

Comment

That's sort of what I said earlier?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                            That's sort of what I said earlier?
                            Well, I had 1 Cor. 8 in mind, not 1 Thessalonians.

sigpic

Comment

Well, I had 1 Cor. 8 in mind, not 1 Thessalonians.

Still Paul!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

This is what I think Revelation 2:20 is referring to, and why I don't think it contradicts Paul's instructions about meat sacrificed to idols. I'm pretty sure Paul wasn't referring to actual attendance of the feasts.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X