Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Atheist Theist Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    At least you're consistent...
    And I ain't no fool.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      And I ain't no fool.
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Churches are exempt from taxation (i.e. they receive public subsidy) and yet churchgoers are provided with political information at church services and churches want to be directly involved in electioneering. Consequently, churches are valid political targets and ought to be exposed as the fraudulent enterprises that they are.
        “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
        “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
        “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Churches are exempt from taxation (i.e. they receive public subsidy)
          Churches are made up of individuals who are, indeed, taxed.

and yet churchgoers are provided with political information at church services
          It is completely allowable for Churches to discuss issues - the problem is when they endorse specific candidates.

and churches want to be directly involved in electioneering.
          Speaking to the issues - these days it's not hard to figure out which candidates support what.

Consequently, churches are valid political targets and ought to be exposed as the fraudulent enterprises that they are.
          I love you, too, FF.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Churches are made up of individuals who are, indeed, taxed.
            OK - THAT is a stretch. The point is that churches, as an entity, are tax exempt under current law. And even the contributions to these churches made by their membership are tax exempt. One of the arguments in citizens united was that you cannot deny the rights of an individual to a corporation if you place on them the obligations of an individual (e.g., corporations have top pay taxes, a responsibility, ergo they should have the benefits of free speech as well, a benefit/right). By the same logic, if you claim tax exempt status, as an organization, you likewise should not be able to lay claim to all of the rights of an individual (as an organization). The individual members of a church have the right to engage politically in any way they see fit - but if the church itself (as an organization) does so, then I suggest they should lose their tax exempt status.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            It is completely allowable for Churches to discuss issues - the problem is when they endorse specific candidates.
            Very true - but it is a VERY grey line.

Speaking to the issues - these days it's not hard to figure out which candidates support what.
            Hence the significant grey area...
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

OK - THAT is a stretch.
              It's one of them thar fact thingies.

The point is that churches, as an entity, are tax exempt under current law.
              Correct, and as long as that law is in effect, I will take proper advantage of it.

And even the contributions to these churches made by their membership are tax exempt. One of the arguments in citizens united was that you cannot deny the rights of an individual to a corporation if you place on them the obligations of an individual (e.g., corporations have top pay taxes, a responsibility, ergo they should have the benefits of free speech as well, a benefit/right). By the same logic, if you claim tax exempt status, as an organization, you likewise should not be able to lay claim to all of the rights of an individual (as an organization). The individual members of a church have the right to engage politically in any way they see fit - but if the church itself (as an organization) does so, then I suggest they should lose their tax exempt status.
              I bet the ministerial housing allowance REALLY drives you bonkers. (assuming you know all the implications, including the "double dipping" component)

Very true - but it is a VERY grey line.
              Only to those opposed to religious liberty. I should be able to preach against abortion or homosexuality based in the Bible, and encourage people to vote their conscience accordingly. I really don't have to name names - it's pretty obvious what each party stands for. WAY more than in the past.

Hence the significant grey area...
              Sheeeeesh... black churches have gotten away for ages with political candidates preaching from their pulpits, and nobody complained. You're familiar with "walking around" money in that context?

Again, if I preach on abortion or homosexuality, I don't even have to name a candidate. The liberals outright endorse candidates from their liberal pulpits all the time.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's one of them thar fact thingies.
                Not all facts are relevant to the discussion. This one is about as relevant as noting that church members are homo sapiens.

Correct, and as long as that law is in effect, I will take proper advantage of it.
                That was never at question.

I bet the ministerial housing allowance REALLY drives you bonkers. (assuming you know all the implications, including the "double dipping" component)
                Actually, I seldom think about this issue, until it is brought up for discussion in fora such as these.

Only to those opposed to religious liberty. I should be able to preach against abortion or homosexuality based in the Bible, and encourage people to vote their conscience accordingly. I really don't have to name names - it's pretty obvious what each party stands for. WAY more than in the past.
                I agree with all of these (though the stance against homosexuality is one I continue to find prejudicial). The point was when the preaching gets specific. Like, "we should never vote for a candidate that would put the people in our embassies at risk and then deny they did so." Without naming names, that pretty much identifies an individual (at least from a right-leaning perspective). These are the "grey lines" that get crossed all the time. Advocating for particular moral or legal positions is not part of the "grey line," IMO.

Sheeeeesh... black churches have gotten away for ages with political candidates preaching from their pulpits, and nobody complained.
                "Nobody complained" is one of those superlatives that isn't true. I have complained - as long as I have been old enough to understand the issues, when this is done in favor of, or in opposition to, any particular candidate or party.

You're familiar with "walking around" money in that context?

Again, if I preach on abortion or homosexuality, I don't even have to name a candidate. The liberals outright endorse candidates from their liberal pulpits all the time.
                I have not been in a church during an election cycle for a long time. I have to wonder how many "liberal churches" you've been to that would substantiate this claim, and how you would substantiate "all the time." I'd be content to see evidence that this even happens semi-frequently. If it does, you will find me standing against it. The rule is not (or shouldn't be) different for different parties or churches.

Comment

Not all facts are relevant to the discussion.
                  Something going on with you? You seem like you're in "I'm just out to pick a fight" mode. I'll let you battle with somebody else.

Comment

Something going on with you? You seem like you're in "I'm just out to pick a fight" mode. I'll let you battle with somebody else.
                    You've made this comment several times, tonight. I'm actually in a good mood - going back and forth between cleaning house and posting. I'm not feeling particularly combative. I'm just responding to what is posted. Your comment about church members being taxed struck me as irrelevant to the discussion, hence my comment. I'm sorry if you took offense. It was not intended to be offensive. The same with your response concerning the IRS - it did not strike me as a particularly good or strong response.

But if you'd rather chat another day, that's cool. I'm going to be signing off shortly anyway.

Comment

You've made this comment several times, tonight.
                      I think it was a total of twice. Have fun.

Comment

I think it was a total of twice. Have fun.
                        I counted three

Comment

I counted three
                          Cool. Three. You win.

Comment

I'm sorry if you took offense.
                            Nope.

Comment

Cool. Three. You win.
                              CP. I always win....

Comment

Nope.

Comment