Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"Coincidences"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a coincidence.
    Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
      What a coincidence.
      We found out later that a lot of people were "speculation buying" - they were buying houses in anticipation of even higher prices once the biggies from Exxon started moving into the area, assuming a lot of them would want "country estates".

My property was purchased by a veteran who actually wanted to live there, but a lot of houses were bought by people who had hoped to sell them at even higher prices, and they got stuck with the properties, waiting for the NEXT housing boom.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Many years ago, when our children were small, we had a particularly tough Christmas upcoming. We were really tight financially, and discussed not having a tree, or going out in the woods and finding a small one.

As we were coming home from Church, we were waiting at an intersection for traffic to clear, and a flatbed semi crossed in front of us with a load of Christmas trees for sale. One of them fell off in the roadway, so I got out of the truck, threw it in the bed of the truck, and took off to chase the semi to let him know he lost part of the load. As we rounded the corner where he should have been, there were no vehicles in sight for a long way.

It was probably one of the most beautiful blue spruce Christmas trees we ever had!
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Cow poke has had an awful lot of those "coincidences". I wonder why?
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
            Is that like appointments with my doctor?
            Is she divine?

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              Is she divine?
              I think he means do you have to wait a long time for them and be ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                I think he means do you have to wait a long time for them and be ready.
                I've waited a long time for Jesus to come -- but I'm ready and willing to keep waiting.

Comment

I've waited a long time for Jesus to come -- but I'm ready and willing to keep waiting.
                  Divine appointment= "coincidences"

Though, waiting for Jesus to come back is still waiting. Just not in a waiting room. The closest thing I can think of is that one time many years ago, my mom was driving herself and us four kids to see relatives and accidentally missed and exit, but missing the exit resulted in us avoiding a bad storm. But there are times that something bad could happen from missing an exit. Oh, my little sister has avoided quite a few car accidents thanks to observation skills and intuition. I've heard one should listen to intuition, because there might be more to it than just one's brain scanning one's surroundings and not being consciously aware of all of the data.

Comment

This one is not so much a "spiritual" coincidence, but....

When I was police, I had just gone on duty, and hit the main highway. I drove to the city limit, and turned right into a side street, intending to turn around, and head back the other way on the main drag.
                    As I was making the turn, dispatch called "All 700 cars, prepare to copy".
                    I pulled into the skirt of a driveway to write down the message dispatch was about to broadcast.
                    They continued "Report of a B&E in progress at 103 Collins....."
                    I knew I was in the 100 block of Collins, and looked up --- address 103.

I called "707 is out on location", and a woman was standing in the doorway pointing "around back".

Dispatch received the call at 9:32 PM,
                    dispatched the call at 9:33,
                    707 (me) on the scene at 9:33,
                    Arrest made at 9:34.

Comment

This one is not so much a "spiritual" coincidence, but....

When I was police, I had just gone on duty, and hit the main highway. I drove to the city limit, and turned right into a side street, intending to turn around, and head back the other way on the main drag.
                      As I was making the turn, dispatch called "All 700 cars, prepare to copy".
                      I pulled into the skirt of a driveway to write down the message dispatch was about to broadcast.
                      They continued "Report of a B&E in progress at 103 Collins....."
                      I knew I was in the 100 block of Collins, and looked up --- address 103.

I called "707 is out on location", and a woman was standing in the doorway pointing "around back".

Dispatch received the call at 9:32 PM,
                      dispatched the call at 9:33,
                      707 (me) on the scene at 9:33,
                      Arrest made at 9:34.
                      Awesome! You just happened to be at the scene when they needed help! You should write a book.

Comment

Awesome! You just happened to be at the scene when they needed help! You should write a book.
                        The little boy yelled, "WOW, That's just like ADAM-12" -- a popular cop show of the day.

Comment

How do you think Jesus will grade your police work?

Comment

How do you think Jesus will grade your police work?
                            I think, overall, he'd be pleased. I had my moments.

Comment

Hadn't thought about this in ages....
                              As they were just about 6 feet from me, somebody behind me called my name, and it sounded urgent. I looked over my shoulder and saw a shotgun flying through the air toward me, I grabbed it, turned back toward them, and racked it once to show I meant business. They stopped in their tracks, and I suggested again, "how bout sitting back down and having another drink". I guess they decided they were thirsty, and turned around.

When things finally calmed down, I tried to find out who threw me the shotgun - it came out of the car I was riding in - but nobody would fess up. To this day, it's still a mystery, but probably saved my life.
                              What did you do with the shotgun afterwards?

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                                What did you do with the shotgun afterwards?
                                It was police issue, so it went back into the vertical dash mount in the patrol car.

There was an electro-mechanical mount where you had to know where the release button was up under the dashboard - so --- that was another factor. Who knew?

Comment