Announcement

Collapse

Amphitheater Guidelines

In the Amphitheater we sit back and share a good song, offer a movie review, discuss sports, or anything in entertainment and family enjoyment.

If you need to refresh yourself on the decorum, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: here
Steam Group: here

Thanks!
See more
See less

Old-School (as in actually old) science fiction and horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    No idea why I never thought to check. It wasn't all that close (I grew up in the sticks), and I rarely visited it.
    Most counties tend to have several.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Most counties tend to have several.
      The closest one wasn't all that close; there wasn't one in the closest town, where the high school was. The town had one stoplight, in the center of town.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The closest one wasn't all that close; there wasn't one in the closest town, where the high school was. The town had one stoplight, in the center of town.
        I remember how back in the 60s the town my mom grew up in installed their first stop sign.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I remember we had a bookmobile come by once a week when I was a kid in Georgia.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            I remember we had a bookmobile come by once a week when I was a kid in Georgia.
            We had a bookmobile when I lived a few miles outside of D.C. and the local public library was in easy walking distance (right next to the High School).

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              For real early Sci-fi there is Frankenstein by Shelley (nothing like the movies) and from even earlier Swift's Gulliver's Travels. From Jules Verne A Journey to the Center of the Earth is good but don't forget Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island and from H.G. Wells The Time Machine.

And if your gonna read Howard's Conan stories may I also suggest Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
              Howard also wrote several Solomon Kane stories. I only read "Skulls in the Stars" some 40+ years ago which made me want to read more but most of the stories were out of print.

Comment