Sideways Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideways Photos

Why do some photos I try to upload here show up sideways, when my phone, laptop, and Facebook upload show the same image right side up?

Yeah!!!!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Rogue fixed mine, so he knows how to do this!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Does he know how to do it before I upload the photo, or do I have to upload it first?

Comment

He fixed mine after the fact, but I suspect he knows how to post them even when they're sideways. He's a pretty resourceful fella.

Comment

When I'm downloading an image from my computer via Google Chrome if I right click the image I'm always offered the option to "Rotate clockwise" and "Rotate counterclockwise"

For instance this image of a NSA demonstrating his mastery of one of the arcane arts taught by Master Po:

Squirrel Water.jpg

Can be turned on its side

Squirrel Po2.jpg

Turned on its head

Squirrel Po2.jpg

You get the idea

Squirrel Po2.jpg

The squirrels were getting rather shocked so I best cease
            Squirrel shocked.jpg

ETA: Well poop. I forgot which image I was usifying, but you should still get the point.

And now I know why the squirrels were so shocked

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The raw photo probably is stored in the most natural orientation (based on sensor positions) of the phone

Comment

But let's say I took the photo with my iPhone, which is stored in my iCloud's photo library, which syncs to my MacBook, which is what I use to browse T-Web with. The photo is stored in my phone and MacBook as right side up. I can't find any rotation option anywhere in the process from the point of snapping the photo to all the options available when preparing a T-Web post.

Comment

There are sensors in the phone to detect which way you are holding it when you take the pictures. The software you your phone reads this information since it was stored as part of the picture. The picture then will be displayed right-side-up based on that orientation setting. Sometimes software will use an algorithm to guess what is right-side-up -- but normally the pictures from phone cameras already provide that information.

Try an experiment. Jump out of a plane and take pictures with different positions of your phone. Let us know if the orientation comes out properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Goulette View Post
                    Why do some photos I try to upload here show up sideways, when my phone, laptop, and Facebook upload show the same image right side up?
                    Also, if you take pictures in Australia, they will turn out to be upside when you view them. Naturally your feet should appear above your head.

Glad I could help here.

Comment

Mike's advice is helpful but there is no sensor data in the pictures. There is a little guy that lives on the interwebs that rotates the pictures for you, but he wanted too much salary to work for us, so now he just send out random rotations on pictures posted to tweb. If you would like to get your photos oriented the right way you will need to send in the necessary donations to help us fund the little guy (his name is Fred I think) - you can send all donations to Sparkothepirate@paypirate.now

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        (his name is Fred I think)
                        I thought it was Jaltus . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Goulette View Post
                          I thought it was Jaltus . . .
                          Have you sent in your money yet? We can hire him for only $500 per month. A real bargain to have to never worry about sideways pictures again.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            When I'm downloading an image from my computer via Google Chrome if I right click the image I'm always offered the option to "Rotate clockwise" and "Rotate counterclockwise"

For instance this image of a NSA demonstrating his mastery of one of the arcane arts taught by Master Po:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28072[/ATTACH]

Can be turned on its side

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28073[/ATTACH]

Turned on its head

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28074[/ATTACH]

You get the idea

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28075[/ATTACH]

The squirrels were getting rather shocked so I best cease
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]28076[/ATTACH]

ETA: Well poop. I forgot which image I was usifying, but you should still get the point.

And now I know why the squirrels were so shocked
                            Seems like I no longer have this option

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And if you take pictures in California, they will probably be tilted toward the left. Especially if you are working for the press.
                              When I Survey....

Comment