Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Direction of the Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
    Yep the left wants to teach our children what to think. we conservatives here in America want or children taught how to think. one is indoctrination the other is education.
    One cannot think critically without the necessary educational grounding. "The U.S. education system is mediocre compared to the rest of the world, according to an international ranking of OECD countries".

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...t-math/281983/
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      That looks like the kind of logic Dimbulb and Ignorant Roy are using in the abortion thread to defend their assertion that skin cells and sperm are organisms.
      You're stupid, lying, or (most likely) both. I'm not asserting that.
      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
        You're stupid, lying, or (most likely) both. I'm not asserting that [sperm are organisms].
        A liar accusing me of lying? What a shock.

From the other thread:

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
        At the moment of ejaculation, the resulting organisms:

1) Meet even the most conservative scientific definition of life.
        2) Have human DNA.
        3) Are guilty of no legal or moral wrong.

Therefore, failure to reach an egg first kills millions of innocent human lives.

Q.E.D
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
          A lot of US conservatives wouldn't agree with you that education is a good thing...
          It's that we think a GOOD education would be a better thing. I was going to use a quote to make my point, but I was concerned somebody would attack the source as 'too conservative'.

HOWEVER, since Tassman used that exact same source and quote, I'll assume it's not in dispute ....

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          One cannot think critically without the necessary educational grounding. "The U.S. education system is mediocre compared to the rest of the world, according to an international ranking of OECD countries".

https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...t-math/281983/
          And the REASON that the US Education system is so mediocre is because it's no longer run by educators but by a mega labor union.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man
            That looks like the kind of logic Dimbulb and Ignorant Roy are using in the abortion thread to defend their assertion that skin cells and sperm are organisms.
            You're stupid, lying, or (most likely) both. I'm not asserting that [sperm are organisms].
            A liar accusing me of lying? What a shock.
            You are lying. I have never asserted that skin cells are organisms. That's a lie on your part.

That you omitted skin cells from your "[sperm are organisms]" makes it clear that you are fully aware of your own dishonesty.

(I didn't actually assert that sperm were organisms either, but that's less obvious)
            Last edited by Roy; 06-05-2018, 09:26 AM.
            Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
            MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Dishonest Roy View Post
              You are lying. I have never asserted that skin cells are organisms. That's a lie on your part.

That you omitted skin cells from your "[sperm are organisms]" makes it clear that you are fully aware of your own dishonesty.

(I didn't actually assert that sperm were organisms either, but that's less obvious)
              Nitpicking won't get you out of this one.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                It's that we think a GOOD education would be a better thing. I was going to use a quote to make my point, but I was concerned somebody would attack the source as 'too conservative'.

HOWEVER, since Tassman used that exact same source and quote, I'll assume it's not in dispute ....

That's just a long time, anti-union, consevative, talking point, which also happens to not even make sense.

And the REASON that the US Education system is so mediocre is because it's no longer run by educators but by a mega labor union.
                That's just a long time anti-union, conservative talking point which, btw, also happens not to make a lick of sense.

Comment

Nitpicking won't get you out of this one.
                  Roy loves tangling with you because you give him so many openings. Here, you failed to support half of your assertion. Can you support that half with evidence?
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I have been thinking about the claims that the left indoctrinates (what to think) and the right educates (how to think). While I suppose it probably makes people feel better about their views (and I have heard both sides say it about the other side) I don't think it passes the sniff test.

First, I am an educator. The difference between education and indoctrination is not as simple as "how to think" versus "what to think." Indoctrination is definitely "what to think." Education can be (and often is) both. That is true because we don't require every generation to repeat the paths of previous generations. So while we should teach students how to experimentally derive the atomic weight and structure of an element (especially budding scientists), we also provide them with the periodic table. The former is how - the latter is what. And though we should teach students how to "do history," we also give them a history book that traces the history as it has been discovered thus far. The former is how, the latter is what. We don't require every student to re-excavate Tut's tomb - we share with them what the people going before them found in Tut's tomb.

I don't think either side can claim innocence of indoctrination. Indeed, in my experience, each side tends to call the views of the other side "indoctrination" if they don't happen to agree with them. I think each side is being just a tad too self-congratulatory to claim they "educate" and the other side "indoctrinates."
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      Not at all. I think questions about happiness are the best questions of all to ask, because it's the thing you most want to maximize.
                      Different things make different people happy. To narrow them down to income, healthy life expectancy, social support, freedom, trust and generosity is asking for bogus results.

"Direction of the country" by contrast is one of the worst kinds of questions to ask. Some people might answer it as if it had to do with happiness, others might answer it as if it had to do with something else entirely. It's going to get a nonsense mishmash of conflated responses.
                      Direction of the country should have everything to do with individual freedoms and economic prosperity. It has nothing to do with how happy people are.
                      That's what
                      - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                      - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                      - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                        That's just a long time anti-union, conservative talking point which, btw, also happens not to make a lick of sense.
                        Jim! Welcome back! I've missed you!
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Like most political polls, it depends almost entirely on who paid for the study since the results are pretty easy to manipulate depending on who and what is asked. I once responded to one telephone survey, and it went something like this:

"Are you in favor of increasing personal income tax?"
                          "No."
                          "Are you in favor of increasing business taxes?"
                          "No."
                          "Are you more in favor of increasing personal income tax, or increasing business taxes?"
                          "I'm not in favor of either."
                          "You have to pick one."
                          "But I'm not in favor of raising taxes, period. They're high enough as it is, so put that down as my answer."
                          "I can't. You have to pick one or the other."
                          "But that doesn't reflect my actual opinion."
                          "If you don't answer the question then your entire participation will be thrown out."
                          "Throw it out then. Good bye."

Notice that no matter how someone responded to that particular survey, the results would have said that people were in favor of raising taxes but were "divided" on whether it should be personal income or business taxes that should be raised. I haven't bothered responding to any poll since.
                          Yeah I got some poll like that before the election, basically what i thought of various local issues and politician, half of whom I did not even know. The questions were clearly stacked. I wasted about 3 minutes before I hung up.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Ever seen the schedule of events at a NEA national conference? In the 3 years that I was privy to seeing them (I was dating a teacher), not one time did they discuss anything to do with education. Not once.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              Yeah I got some poll like that before the election, basically what i thought of various local issues and politician, half of whom I did not even know. The questions were clearly stacked. I wasted about 3 minutes before I hung up.
                              Those are a type of "push poll" intended solely to produce a certain result by any means necessary

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Ever seen the schedule of events at a NEA national conference? In the 3 years that I was privy to seeing them (I was dating a teacher), not one time did they discuss anything to do with education. Not once.
                                Because they're a LABOR union, far more interested in their own membership, dues, salaries, and covering each other's butts.... My wife went in one day to talk to a teacher about our daughter's math challenges, because it was reported that this particular math class was just pure chaos, no teaching being done --- and the teacher told her "You just need to leave that to us, WE are the professional educators" with a flare like "you're only the parent".

Fortunately, that was back in the days before my wife started carrying a handgun.

Comment