Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Direction of the Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Something similar happened in Columbus, Ohio with administrators faking attendance records in order to keep the federal dollars flowing in.

https://www.10tv.com/article/columbu...ndance-scandal
    Something like that happened decades ago when I was still but a wee lad (a mere 5'12" -- 6th grade). A local skewl got busted for faking attendance to get larger subsidies for skewl lunches.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Something like that happened decades ago when I was still but a wee lad (a mere 5'12" -- 6th grade). A local skewl got busted for faking attendance to get larger subsidies for skewl lunches.
      why are you spelling skule wrong?

Comment

At the school I went to they actively discouraged the smarter kids from getting ahead. The "advanced classes" they gave me were literally just them taking us out of class and into the lunch room for a couple hours with nothing to do. It was awful. Being in the normal classes were boring enough, but being taken out of class to do nothing at all was even worse. At least with normal classes I could do all my work, and not need to leave the homework until the end of the day after I got home.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
          At the school I went to they actively discouraged the smarter kids from getting ahead. The "advanced classes" they gave me were literally just them taking us out of class and into the lunch room for a couple hours with nothing to do. It was awful. Being in the normal classes were boring enough, but being taken out of class to do nothing at all was even worse. At least with normal classes I could do all my work, and not need to leave the homework until the end of the day after I got home.
          Wow. Not all schools (or teachers) are like that, thankfully.

7th grade was my easiest year of schooling - first year in public school. After skating to easy As, I got put into the honors track, where I actually had to work a little. Some of my teachers were pretty good, and encouraged critical thinking.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Dollars - that's why I was prosecuted for homeschooling back in the 80's..... the superintendent of schools explained that, for every day a child is not in class, they lose federal funding.
            According to parents around here, they get big pressure from schools to send their kids to school even when they are sick because of this very thing

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Wow. Not all schools (or teachers) are like that, thankfully.

7th grade was my easiest year of schooling - first year in public school. After skating to easy As, I got put into the honors track, where I actually had to work a little. Some of my teachers were pretty good, and encouraged critical thinking.
              Public school was pretty much a nightmare for me the entire time I went. A bully at school is also the reason I'm disabled. For a little while we did something called "home bound" where they sent out a teacher to my house. I would get pretty much all my work done in less than an hour, so we would have the remaining time for other stuff. The teachers I had during that time said I got more work done in two-three days than other kids were getting done in a week. After that I started home schooling. The home bound just didn't allow for the trips I needed to go to my doctor for the treatments I needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Celebrian View Post
                According to parents around here, they get big pressure from schools to send their kids to school even when they are sick because of this very thing
                Yeah, our school board tries to walk a fine line, pushing for all kids to come every day possible, except when they have a fever, I think. There was a big discussion about this, because a lot of parents said "I don't want my kid to go to school and catch a cold from somebody else whose mother didn't have the good sense to keep him home". (or something like that)
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                  Here, you failed to support half of your assertion. Can you support that half with evidence?
                  Perhaps I should be more proactive in calling out Dishonest Roy's deceptions. I guess I just assume that if anybody really cares, they can read the referenced thread in question for themselves and see that Ignorant Roy and Dimbulb have been going back and forth on the "all cells are organisms" thing, "amen'ing" each others posts and basically patting each other on the back for their artificial "brilliance". Dimbulb quite clearly claimed that skin cells are organisms, and Ignorant Roy himself quite clearly claimed that spermatozoa are organisms. For him to pull the "I never said that skin cells were organisms, I just agreed with and supported the claims of the guy who said it!" routine is intellectually dishonest at best.
                  So you can't support your false claim, preferring instead to try to lie your way out of it again (I have neither agreed with nor supported Starlight's claim that skin cells are organisms). Yet you call me dishonest.
                  Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                  MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                    So you can't support your false claim, preferring instead to try to lie your way out of it again (I have neither agreed with nor supported Starlight's claim that skin cells are organisms).
                    True. You attempted to argue that Starlight never claimed that. Given that Starlight brought up skin cells in direct response to MM's description of an organism, it's an absurd argument to make. You do that sometimes, in your zeal to spite MM.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

True. You attempted to argue that Starlight never claimed that.
                      At the time, he didn't claim that skin cells are organisms. He has since. I disagree.
                      Given that Starlight brought up skin cells in direct response to MM's description of an organism, it's an absurd argument to make.
                      Not really. Just because MM's description of fertilised ova happens to be a description of an organism doesn't mean that anything else that fits his description must be an organism too.

After an apple falls from a tree, the resulting windfall:
                      1) Is round.
                      2) Is green.
                      3) Is tasty.

Some M&Ms are also round, green and tasty. That doesn't mean I'm claiming M&Ms are windfall.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                      MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                        At the time, he didn't claim that skin cells are organisms. He has since. I disagree. Not really. Just because MM's description of fertilised ova happens to be a description of an organism doesn't mean that anything else that fits his description must be an organism too.

After an apple falls from a tree, the resulting windfall:
                        1) Is round.
                        2) Is green.
                        3) Is tasty.

Some M&Ms are also round, green and tasty. That doesn't mean I'm claiming M&Ms are windfall.
                        I find this to be a rather inapt example since Starlight did not at the time disclaim he was describing a purported organism and the claim wasn't sufficiently outlandish (as is this) to be obvious sarcasm. He also eventually claimed he WAS doing so.

Further, I'll pick nits in that windfalls are typically either green OR tasty, not both, unless they're actually ripe Granny Smith apples.

sigpic

Comment

I find this to be a rather inapt example since Starlight did not at the time disclaim he was describing a purported organism and the claim wasn't sufficiently outlandish (as is this) to be obvious sarcasm. He also eventually claimed he WAS doing so.

Further, I'll pick nits in that windfalls are typically either green OR tasty, not both, unless they're actually ripe Granny Smith apples.
                          Too tart (but great for baking). I prefer Gala or Fuji myself.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Too tart (but great for baking). I prefer Gala or Fuji myself.
                            I almost always buy either Gala, Fuji, or Braeburn apples. If they're marked way down, I'll get some Honeycrisp apples. Can't stand Red Delicious.

sigpic

Comment

Back to the OP:

The North American Plate comprises most of the US, and is moving in a generally southwest direction. /thread
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

I almost always buy either Gala, Fuji, or Braeburn apples. If they're marked way down, I'll get some Honeycrisp apples. Can't stand Red Delicious.
                                I like Red Delicious but they're not among my favorites. Braeburns (which are much harder to find around here than they used to) are unusual in that both a tart and a sweet flavor intermingle although the tartness seems to win out.

Comment