Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    Blazing Saddles wasn't it?
    I've actually yet to see Blazing Saddles, but I doubt that movie starred Humphrey Bogart in one of his best movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
      I've actually yet to see Blazing Saddles, but I doubt that movie starred Humphrey Bogart in one of his best movies.

Looking it up, it was a line in Sierra Madre that they made fun of in Blazing Saddles. I never watched The Treasure of the Siera Madre

I guess we both have some movies to catch up on!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        Ah, you became an old fart!
        This is about me, isn't it? smiley dejected.gif

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Ah, you became an old fart!
          Actually, all of my farts are fresh and minty clean...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
            Actually, all of my farts are fresh and minty clean...
            My farts violate the Geneva convention.

Comment

You seem just a tad more 'sensitive' today than normal. Everything OK?
              Sensitive? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I'm not feeling any different than any other day. You guys read emotion into my posts that often leave me scratching my head.

I simply saw the meme, was struck by the fact that there are websites devoted to creating memes (I had never considered that possibility), and curiosity took me there. I was struck by the site's motto.

As for my position about memes, I have come to the personal conclusion that they are negative and destructive. They add to this cultural rift we are living in, where the ideas and opinions of others, if they do not align with our own, are fair game for ridicule, condescension, and denigration. The anonymity of the Internet gives too many of us permission to treat others in ways we would never treat them if they were sitting right in front of us having a conversation with us.

Personally, even if someone disagrees with one of my most cherished values, if I were face to face with them, I would not treat them disrespectfully. Why? Because how I treat others says something about me...not about the person I am disrespecting. I don't want to be the kind of person who acts that way.

The meme thing, for me, is somewhat new. Not too long ago, I started posting on the "funnies" thread because most of the posts were right-leaning memes and I thought I'd bring a bit of "balance" to it. After a few dozen posts, I realized I wasn't balancing anything - I was simply giving others a reason to escalate. And I fundamentally didn't like what I was doing - and what it said about me as a person. So I stopped.

I had this conversation (or one like it) with my son the other day. His brother did something irritating and he reacted to it by getting angry, calling his brother names, and insulting him. When he had cooled down, we had a conversation:

Dad: Why did you do that?
              Son: Because he deserved it!
              Dad: If you walked into a grocery store, and heard a man screaming things like that to another man, what would you think?
              Son: I'd think he was a butt head.
              Dad: So are you a butt head?
              Son: No.
              Dad: So why do you let your brother's actions turn you into one?
              Son: Huh?
              Dad: Isaiah, you're a good person. I see that in you all the time. But when someone says/does something you don't like, you often let go of that "good person" and become a butt head instead. You're basically letting someone else's choices turn you into something you don't want to be and usually aren't. Why would you do that?
              Son: I don't know.
              Dad: So here's your choice: you can either always be the person you want to be, regardless of what other people say/do, or you can let other people control what kind of person you are. It's pretty much up to you.

That's the philosophy I try to live. I cannot claim to always be successful...but the fact that I sometimes fail doesn't keep me from trying.
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Sensitive? I'm not sure what you're referring to. I'm not feeling any different than any other day. You guys read emotion into my posts that often leave me scratching my head.
                Or could there be a BETTER explanation?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Or could there be a BETTER explanation?

OK - that was funny...

Comment

OK - that was funny...
                    I'm multi-tasking today - doing some mundane things that need done, and playing Tweb on the side.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm multi-tasking today - doing some mundane things that need done, and playing Tweb on the side.
                      Likewise. And I'm teaching a class!

(they're working on preparing a case for tomorrow, and I'm grading papers and taking an occasional TWeb and news break. The Mendicino fire is incredible. Trump's usual rants are consistently repugnant and borderline nuts. The Manafort trial is interesting, as are the new revelations about Cohen. Having just come back from Hawaii, I'm following the Hector story. So many stories and so little time!

Comment

Likewise. And I'm teaching a class!

(they're working on preparing a case for tomorrow, and I'm grading papers and taking an occasional TWeb and news break. The Mendicino fire is incredible. Trump's usual rants are consistently repugnant and borderline nuts. The Manafort trial is interesting, as are the new revelations about Cohen. Having just come back from Hawaii, I'm following the Hector story. So many stories and so little time!
                        I'm watching....

Comment

I'm watching....

Comment

OK, I kid!

Comment

OK, I kid!
                              Sorry...but I have already lost all respect for you....

Comment

This is absolute willful ignorance.
                                So you keep saying.

So the same sex couple could buy their own cake and add the figurines. Problem solved.
                                Yep, that's good enough for the likes of them. Gays surely don't expect to be treated as equally as "normal" people.

Repeating the same thing over and over does not make it true.
                                When the arguments are the same the responses are going to be the same.
                                Last edited by Tassman; 08-08-2018, 02:26 AM.
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment