Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for Ginsburg's dissent, her main argument is based on the claim that Phillips discriminated against the couple "for no reason other than their sexual orientation". But that claim is disproved by the other concurring Opinions.

E.g. Gorsuch:

"Mr. Phillips offered to make other baked goods for the couple, including cakes celebrating other occasions. Ibid. Later, Mr. Phillips testified without contradiction that he would have refused to create a cake celebrating a same-sex marriage for any customer, regardless of his or her sexual orientation. Id., at 166–167 (“I will not design and create wedding cakes for a same-sex wedding regardless of the sexual orientation of the customer”). And the record reveals that Mr. Phillips apparently refused just such a request from Mr. Craig’s mother. Id., at 38–40, 169. (Any suggestion that Mr. Phillips was willing to make a cake celebrating a same-sex marriage for a heterosexual customer or was not willing to sell other products to a homosexual customer, then, would simply mistake the undisputed factual record. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
      If Cow Poke is Batman, then you are probably closer to Quiltman.
      Not really up to speed with my superheroes but plan to go see Deadpool 2 this weekend. Hope it not too rowdy or my wife won’t like it.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

• Originally posted by Joel View Post
        As for Ginsburg's dissent, her main argument is based on the claim that Phillips discriminated against the couple "for no reason other than their sexual orientation". But that claim is disproved by the other concurring Opinions.

E.g. Gorsuch:

"Mr. Phillips offered to make other baked goods for the couple, including cakes celebrating other occasions. Ibid. Later, Mr. Phillips testified without contradiction that he would have refused to create a cake celebrating a same-sex marriage for any customer, regardless of his or her sexual orientation. Id., at 166–167 (“I will not design and create wedding cakes for a same-sex wedding regardless of the sexual orientation of the customer”). And the record reveals that Mr. Phillips apparently refused just such a request from Mr. Craig’s mother. Id., at 38–40, 169. (Any suggestion that Mr. Phillips was willing to make a cake celebrating a same-sex marriage for a heterosexual customer or was not willing to sell other products to a homosexual customer, then, would simply mistake the undisputed factual record. "
        Joel, given our discussions in the past, I wonder what your take is, generally, about these anti-discrimination laws as applied to private businesses.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
          Apart from the occasional slip I am like Robin to your Batman. Doing it to the baddies but being a bit bad ourselves.
          We cool!
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
            My understanding is that Evangelicals in business generally demand the right to discriminate against homosexuals on the grounds of their religious beliefs.
            Your understanding is in error.

Now I figure if you dig around enough you might be able to find an exception but you're talking about a minuscule percent that for all statistical purposes could be classed as 1% at most.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              What rogue said.
              We need far more posts expressing this sort of insightful wisdom

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Not really up to speed with my superheroes but plan to go see Deadpool 2 this weekend. Hope it not too rowdy or my wife won’t like it.
                I have never understood the attraction of Deadpool

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  I have never understood the attraction of Deadpool
                  It's funny...
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The Deadpool movies are quite brutal, and action oriented. Given what you've said, sounds like she won't like it.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                      It's funny...
                      If you insist. smiley yawn.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        I haven't read the opinions themselves, but I've read some summaries, and the main takeaways seem to be:

1. The different Justices are all over the place on this case. They issued 5 different opinions between them.
                        2. The decision was more akin to tossing out the case on a technicality (that the prosecution had been unduly nasty toward the defendant) than a general ruling on the merits.
                        3. Insofar as it ruled on the merits, the Justices agreed that anti-discrimination laws are fine.

So a win for the specific conservative defendant, but in terms of the wider 'culture wars' either irrelevant or a win for liberals.
                        That is pretty much how every decision goes, star. They don't just agree in lockstep. They all have their opinions and the consensus wins. This was actually a very cohesive decision. Each of the 7 agreed with the core of the decision, that it was a violation of the first amendment to force someone to create artwork to support a specific cause. And nearly every case has been about this: cake decorating, floral arrangements, t-shirts. This decision seems to cover about 90% of these LBGT discrimination cases.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          That is pretty much how every decision goes, star. They don't just agree in lockstep. They all have their opinions and the consensus wins. This was actually a very cohesive decision. Each of the 7 agreed with the core of the decision, that it was a violation of the first amendment to force someone to create artwork to support a specific cause. And nearly every case has been about this: cake decorating, floral arrangements, t-shirts. This decision seems to cover about 90% of these LBGT discrimination cases.
                          Once again, as some of us have been saying all along, this puts a challenge to the nutty notion some of our liberals hold that, somehow, LGBTKBPXDSness trumps religious liberty.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            This ruling does not grant Christians a license to discriminate against homosexuals in future situations. It was specifically tailored to address the case that was in front of the court. In short, it's a one-off. In this case, plaintiffs alleged that the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed animus against baker Jack Phillips instead of ruling impartially. That's what it's all about, not same sex marriage or wedding cakes per se.
                            That's not how it works, Tassman. When the supreme court rules, it becomes precedent in other cases. Any case of someone trying to cause an artist to support their agenda is now off limits. No more forcing printing companies to print gay pride shirts, no more gay wedding cakes, no more custom floral arrangements.

Comment

That's not how it works, Tassman. When the supreme court rules, it becomes precedent in other cases. Any case of someone trying to cause an artist to support their agenda is now off limits. No more forcing printing companies to print gay pride shirts, no more gay wedding cakes, no more custom floral arrangements.
                              Same with photography. And before someone declares that isn't art tell that to the folks who have paid millions for photographs taken by folks like Andreas Gursky, Cindy Sherman and Richard Prince (to name but a few) and hang them in their homes.

Comment

I wish this were true, but I really think this is overstated. My reading was that Kennedy clearly acknowledged that the religious views of businesspeople had to be restricted, and that they were not automatically set aside by the mere fact of their choosing to go into business, but that they are also not absolute. His wording in the ruling seemed to say that those specific issues would need to be addressed later, and that the ruling at hand was focused on the behavior of the Commission.

If SCOTUS takes up the "Barronelle the florist" case, it will get another swing at the broader issues.

I am not brimming with confidence.
                                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment