Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I'm just gonna leave you with this opinion. I'm not touching that if you can't see reason.

Comment

• And yet you have absolutely no trouble discriminating against religious people treating them as second class citizens with no rights of their own.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        And yet you have absolutely no trouble discriminating against religious people treating them as second class citizens with no rights of their own.
        Not at all. All people have equal rights under the law. It's just that some e.g. religious people, are not "more equal than others"...to paraphrase the pigs in Orwell's 'Animal Farm'...with more rights than other people.
        Last edited by Tassman; 07-29-2018, 04:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          Not at all. All people have equal rights under the law. It's just that some e.g. religious people, are not "more equal than others"...to paraphrase the pigs in Orwell's 'Animal Farm'...with more rights than other people.
          That actually appears to be the view of those who seek to force the baker to make the cake. He is a second class citizen beholden to the whims and wishes of others.

00000000000000ars2a.gif
          Last edited by rogue06; 07-29-2018, 11:07 AM.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
            Yeah I'm just gonna leave you with this opinion. I'm not touching that if you can't see reason.
            First off I don't remember reading that a discussion concerning the custom design of the cake even took place, the baker simply refused to make a cake for a gay wedding. Second, I couldn't care less if that discussion took place or not, the baker can't discriminate against gay people any more than he can discriminate against members of any other group. Simply being a muslim is against the christian religion as well, so is being an athiest. Too bad, you can't discriminate, and gay people just like any other group should be able to enter any establishment and be served just like everyone else rather than having to hunt around for someone that will serve them.

Comment

And yet you have absolutely no trouble discriminating against religious people treating them as second class citizens with no rights of their own.
              Nope, just the opposite. We would argue just as adamantly that Gay businessmen are not allowed to discriminate against christians. You just don't get it, because you want it both ways. Your heads would be exploding if it were christians being refused service.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Nope, just the opposite. We would argue just as adamantly that Gay businessmen are not allowed to discriminate against christians. You just don't get it, because you want it both ways. Your heads would be exploding if it were christians being refused service.
                Funny. A lot of liberals have been defending and even applauding refusing serving folks they disagree with in recent months.

Comment

Funny. A lot of liberals have been defending and even applauding refusing serving folks they disagree with in recent months.
                  You mean as a political protest for which they could be sued as well?

Comment

More broadly, I am concerned about the future of the First Amendment in the US as there appears to be increasing support against it on the left. Those forces have always been in place on the right but in a somewhat muted way (i.e. strong support for criminalizing flag burning) but not in a way that constituted a real threat. Now the zeitgeist on the left side is firmly against it. The ACLU changing their policies of who they choose to defend, the crucifixion of Mark Zuckerberg for allowing extremism on Facebook, and even the other day a leftist activist I knew in college posted an article attacking John Stuart Mill in an attempt to tear down the pillars of free discourse (the context there was wanting to ban speakers such as Jordan Peterson).

For the sake of our republic, I hope this is just a fad that lasts no longer than this current administration but I'm skeptical.

(I also see a risk of conservatives jumping on board as Trump has proposed some limitations on the free press with little protest from the right.)
                    Last edited by KingsGambit; 07-29-2018, 05:48 PM.
                    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

That actually appears to be the view of those who seek to force the baker to make the cake. He is a second class citizen beholden to the whims and wishes of others.
                      The rights of one segment of the community, e.g bakers in this instance, cannot be achieved at the expense of the rights of others, e.g. gay couples ordering a wedding cake. That would be a travesty of equality under the law. The Evangelical baker has ample opportunity to exercise his rights of free speech elsewhere, but not in the form of discrimination against others in contravention of the Civil Rights Act.

Comment

There is no such thing as a gay cake, Sparko.

That was easy. Thanks for playing.
                        The cake is for a gay wedding. It is decorated for such event. With two grooms on top. It is a gay wedding cake. Just like a cake made for Halloween is a Halloween Cake. Thanks for being the weakest link.

Comment

What is a pedophile wedding, Sparko?
                          Just what it sounds like Jimmy. An older adult marrying a child. It happens all the time in other countries.

Here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTyp6TczT_M

I suppose you would claim that since it is just a cake for a wedding, the guy would have to make it, right?

Comment

Wrong, they are wedding cakes for gay weddings, they are not gay wedding cakes. Cakes are neither straight or gay, they're cake! Cakes for interacial weddings are not interacial wedding cakes, they're simply wedding cakes.
                            And cakes for a pedophile wedding would just be a cake, and a cake for someone marrying their dog would be just a cake, and someone marrying their sister would just be a cake, and you would say that the baker would have to make the cake in every case, right?

Comment

• And all this arguing from Tassy and JimL is moot, the Supreme Court decided that the baker was treated unfairly. He won.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                And all this arguing from Tassy and JimL is moot, the Supreme Court decided that the baker was treated unfairly. He won.
                                Never mind the fact that the free exercise of religion is a Constitutional right, getting your wedding cake made is not.
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment