Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim, Tassman,

I am curious what you think about the case in this thread:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...e-s-billboards

Summary: A church bought billboards from an advertising company with a religious message on it and a bible. People complained about it saying they were offended. The billboard company then pulled the Billboards and refused to do any more business with the church.

Do you think the billboard company has the right to refuse to make billboards for the church or not?

Answer in that thread if you please so as not to drag this one off topic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Jim, Tassman,

I am curious what you think about the case in this thread:

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...e-s-billboards

Summary: A church bought billboards from an advertising company with a religious message on it and a bible. People complained about it saying they were offended. The billboard company then pulled the Billboards and refused to do any more business with the church.

Do you think the billboard company has the right to refuse to make billboards for the church or not?

Answer in that thread if you please so as not to drag this one off topic.
      I predict...

new-york-crickets.jpg
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Leonhard View Post
        That still has nothing to do with what I said. "Comfortable would have nothing to do with it. Free Speech shouldn't make you feel comfortable." which was in response to what you said "So you would be comfortable with a baker refusing to make a wedding cake for a mixed-race couple"

Free Speech, and the right to it, is not about being comfortable. That was my point. That you're trying to segway that into some other stuff you wanna rant about, doesn't matter. You're responding to something other than what I wrote.
        “Comfort” is not the substance of the discussion....as should be obvious. Equal civil rights for all citizens are what it’s all about.

It isn't. If you refuse to serve a couple because that couple is mixed-race, that would of course be discriminating on account of race. They can be served a wedding cake, same as the gays can.
        You’ve missed the point.

Once more: If a baker has religious objections to say, mixed marriages...as would have been the case in apartheid South Africa or the Jim Crow states of the US even today in some instances...or any other personal religious ideation...and refuses to make a wedding cake on these grounds as a consequence, then it is precisely the same argument as refusing a wedding cake for gays on religious grounds. And this is contrary to the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

However if it comes to a matter of making a custom cake. Vis-a-vis that gay baker who refused to bake a custom cake for the Christian, because of the message. Then that's a matter of free speech.
        You are talking “custom made” cakes; I am talking standard, traditional wedding cakes, which is what most couples want with perhaps the addition of same sex figurines...nothing more. I know this to be the case from my extensive experience in the international hotel industry.

You keep affirming this as if I've ever been in disagreement with it. I just told you in the last post that we agreed that no precedence was set. Are you alright Tassman? You don't seem to be aware of anything past a single post you've responded to.
        OK. Then no further discussion need be had. The Civil Rights Act remains in place and the civil right of gay couples to expect the same rights as straight couples when ordering wedding cakes is agreed. The rest of your examples relate to extreme examples perpetrated by people with a “gotcha” agenda, which need to be assessed on a case by case basis. I’m not interested in going down this rabbit hole, it’s a diversion from the OP.
        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
          You’ve missed the point.
          You missed Sparko's post - how bout taking a run at that.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            You missed Sparko's post - how bout taking a run at that.
            As always, your wish is my command.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Then do it:http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...e-s-billboards
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

We can expect an answer, then? Or just more emojis?
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  We can expect an answer, then? Or just more emojis?
                  I think he answered it in that thread...

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
                    I think he answered it in that thread...
                    Ah, ok... such as it is.

Comment