Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

SCOTUS & gay wedding cakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    OK, this is weird. CNN says it was a "narrow ruling", and "6 - 2". Even that can't be called a "narrow ruling".

Washington (CNN)The Supreme Court ruled narrowly in favor of a Colorado baker who refused to bake a cake to celebrate the marriage of a same sex couple because of a religious objections.
    The ruling was 6-2.

Since the article says it's subject to change, I'll add a screenshot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28094[/ATTACH]
    It's the Dan Brown syndrome!
    Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      This story is just breaking:

Source: Supreme Court rules in favor of baker who denied same-sex couple a wedding cake

The Supreme Court rules narrowly for the Colorado baker who wouldn't make same-sex wedding cake.

The clash at the high court pitted baker Jack Phillips' First Amendment claims of artistic freedom against the anti-discrimination arguments of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission, and the two men Phillips turned away in 2012.

This is a developing story and will be updated.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

This is just poor writing; the language implies a 5-4 ruling. The ruling is narrow in scope, but that's often the case with USSC rulings.
      Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I'm disappointed... in the Colorado Civil Rights Commission. If they had just ignored the baker's religion and stuck to the discrimination against gays, they would have provided an interesting and influential case. Instead, they ruined it by attacking the baker's religious beliefs.

So I count this as a win for religious freedom.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
          I'm disappointed... in the Colorado Civil Rights Commission. If they had just ignored the baker's religion and stuck to the discrimination against gays, they would have provided an interesting and influential case. Instead, they ruined it by attacking the baker's religious beliefs.
          No, they were openly hostile to religious views. See my quote from Kennedy...

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post548224
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

As some of us have been saying, this goes to "artistic freedom".
            That was me. I was the one arguing that point. I bet the supreme court was reading my posts on the topic here on tweb and it helped them make the right decision.

I expect Carp to come in here at any moment begging for forgiveness for daring to question my supreme court level intellect.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              I expect Carp to come in here at any moment begging for forgiveness for daring to question my supreme court level intellect.
              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

OK, maybe so, especially from this paragraph....

The ruling, written by Justice Anthony Kennedy, is not the wide-ranging ruling on religious liberty that some expected. It is tailored to the case at hand with the justices holding that members of the Colorado Civil Rights Commission showed animus toward Phillips specifically when they suggested his claims of religious freedom was made to justify discrimination.
                Except nobody has been arguing that a business can refuse to serve gay people and that the bakeries have also said that they would be fine with serving off the shelf cakes or cakes for other occasions like birthdays. I think Roy found one baker in some dinky case that refused to even bake the cake much less decorate it.

So since the decision covers religious freedom of creative artwork, that is not "narrow" at all, that pretty much everything people have been asking for. The only similar cases that would not include artistry was the wedding venue case, where some Christian place refused to allow a gay couple to be married there, and one caterer that refused to cater a gay wedding.

Comment

Another win today...

The American Civil Liberties Union has brought numerous lawsuits against the Trump administration on behalf of illegal immigrant teenagers seeking abortions, arguing the government is obligated to provide the young girls with the operation. The lower courts have handed victory after victory to the ALCU, which have allowed the girls to receive abortions, despite government objections.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/0...clu-objections

Comment

Except nobody has been arguing that a business can refuse to serve gay people...
                    I was...

Comment

That was me. I was the one arguing that point. I bet the supreme court was reading my posts on the topic here on tweb and it helped them make the right decision.

A pirate as a "friend of the court"?

The mind boggles

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        No, they were openly hostile to religious views. See my quote from Kennedy...

http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post548224
                        I'm not sure how that contradicts with what I said...
                        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          This is just poor writing; the language implies a 5-4 ruling. The ruling is narrow in scope, but that's often the case with USSC rulings.
                          It is very rare for them to issue a wide-ranging, sweeping opinion. Usually they're very narrow in scope.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Except nobody has been arguing that a business can refuse to serve gay people and that the bakeries have also said that they would be fine with serving off the shelf cakes or cakes for other occasions like birthdays. I think Roy found one baker in some dinky case that refused to even bake the cake much less decorate it.

So since the decision covers religious freedom of creative artwork, that is not "narrow" at all, that pretty much everything people have been asking for. The only similar cases that would not include artistry was the wedding venue case, where some Christian place refused to allow a gay couple to be married there, and one caterer that refused to cater a gay wedding.
                            The bolded part is why my church has voted to stop renting out our church facilities to non-church members. We do not want to be sued by the gay couple who wants to rent our church for their wedding. (There are many "Wedding Chapels" to rent in my area)
                            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                              I'm not sure how that contradicts with what I said...
                              I'm just adding to it...Like "no" there is more...

Comment

Reading the Opinion of the Court, I came across this:

When it comes to weddings, it can be assumed that a member of the clergy who objects to gay marriage on moral and religious grounds could not be compelled to perform the ceremony without denial of his or her right to the free exercise of religion. This refusal would be well understood in our constitutional order as an exercise of religion, an exercise that gay persons could recognize and accept without serious diminishment to their own dignity and worth.
                                https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...6-111_j4el.pdf

Comment